Help to choose between gtx 970 and r9 390.

Strataras

FIRST OF ALL THIS IS NOT A DEBATE WHICH COMPANY IS BETTER OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. 

What i am looking for is what works better in real life and not the benchmarks. I have a gtx 670 and i am looking to replace that with a gtx 970 OR an r9 390. I am looking what aftermarket brand is better(msi-gigabyte etc) and which gpu works better. From what i have seen games are better build to run on nvdia cards( the way its meant to be played ) but on some sites and forums benchmarks show that 390 is stronger on raw performance. i am running a single 1080p monitor and i am not looking to change that in the near future. I have an i5-3570k cpu and 8gigs vengeance ram. I am not an amd or nvidia funboy so please be serious about this.

The 390 pulls ahed in most benchmarks by a couple of Frames and its usually cheaper.

How ever you might use CUDA on some applications or you might simply like to use less power and heat

FIRST OF ALL THIS IS NOT A DEBATE WHICH COMPANY IS BETTER OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. 

What i am looking for is what works better in real life and not the benchmarks. I have a gtx 670 and i am looking to replace that with a gtx 970 OR an r9 390. I am looking what aftermarket brand is better(msi-gigabyte etc) and which gpu works better. From what i have seen games are better build to run on nvdia cards( the way its meant to be played ) but on some sites and forums benchmarks show that 390 is stronger on raw performance. i am running a single 1080p monitor and i am not looking to change that in the near future. I have an i5-3570k cpu and 8gigs vengeance ram. I am not an amd or nvidia funboy so please be serious about this.

Remember to follow your topics.

I would go for the R9 390. It has more horsepower than the GTX 970 now, but will provide a further advantage once DirectX12 titles roll around. Preliminary benchmarks show a BIG favouring of AMD's hardware. This is due to their superior compute performance, which DX12 is able to leverage. For this reason, I believe that the 390 is the best choice.

The preferred brand for AMD is Sapphire, but XFX, Powercolor, and MSI are all good as well.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

Wait a moment,  just some time ago in the tech news section. It was posted that some aftermarket manufacturers are releasing 4GB 390s probably for cheaper. So you might wanna hold out for that ;)

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

If your powersupply can handle it, r9 390 is the better option

What i am looking for is what works better in real life and not the benchmarks. I have a gtx 670 and i am looking to replace that with a gtx 970 OR an r9 390. I am looking what aftermarket brand is better(msi-gigabyte etc) and which gpu works better. From what i have seen games are better build to run on nvdia cards( the way its meant to be played ) but on some sites and forums benchmarks show that 390 is stronger on raw performance. i am running a single 1080p monitor and i am not looking to change that in the near future. I have an i5-3570k cpu and 8gigs vengeance ram . I am not an amd or nvidia funboy so please be serious about this.

Edit. Got a 850watt psu

I'll answer addressing your question.

Real world the 390 is a great card. Excellent fps, most games can be played at ultra settings, lower power consumption over the 290 it replaced and less heat because of this.

But, that shutter. Colors seem to be hit and miss depending on the game. It deals with Gameworks games MUCH less successfully than the 290. For having 8g of VRAM and the speed it runs at it still struggles visibly at 1440.

My 2c as a 390 owner.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

I'll answer addressing your question.

Real world the 390 is a great card. Excellent fps, most games can be played at ultra settings, lower power consumption over the 290 it replaced and less heat because of this.

But, that shutter. Colors seem to be hit and miss depending on the game. It deals with Gameworks games MUCH less successfully than the 290. For having 8g of VRAM and the speed it runs at it still struggles visibly at 1440.

My 2c as a 390 owner.

I honestly think you got unlucky and got the factory dud.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I honestly think you got unlucky and got the factory dud.

No, you missed that I said it's a great card 0.0 My 390 plays Witcher 3 at ultra settings, that's not easy and there isn't a very long list of cards that can do it. But I don't watch TV so spend WAY too much time playing games lol. Nothing is perfect and I know the cards shortcomings

Don't forget about dx12 for the 390 if that turns out to be anything good (oh wait someone ready mentioned it)

Emmm... the 970 also has dx12 so I'm not sure what your going at with that comment.

No, you missed that I said it's a great card 0.0 My 390 plays Witcher 3 at ultra settings, that's not easy and there isn't a very long list of cards that can do it. But I don't watch TV so spend WAY too much time playing games lol. Nothing is perfect and I know the cards shortcomings

I wasn't insinuating that you think the 390 is a bad card. I meant your 290 outperforming your 390, lol.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

I wasn't insinuating that you think the 390 is a bad card. I meant your 290 outperforming your 390, lol.

Fps, barely in a few titles. But fps are no where near as important as people make them, or more accurately average fps. In Gameworks games the 290 suffers way fewer fps dips, it runs MUCH smoother with fewer shutters, and the 290 also seems to have a wider color palette in Gameworks games than the 390. Takes HOURS to see the difference but it's there. But yes, in benchmarks the 390 is the clear winner. But that wasn't the OP's question;p

Ok guys now that we have resolved the issued gtx 970 vs r9 390. I would like your opinion on MSI r9 390 vs gigabyte g1 r9 390. I am using a zalman z11 case so i cant fit in it long graphics cards. And from what i have seen and read gigabyte and msi have the best 2fan coolers. SO MSI or GIGABYTE?

Ok guys now that we have resolved the issued gtx 970 vs r9 390. I would like your opinion on MSI r9 390 vs gigabyte g1 r9 390. I am using a zalman z11 case so i cant fit in it long graphics cards. And from what i have seen and read gigabyte and msi have the best 2fan coolers. SO MSI or GIGABYTE?

Definitely Msi. The gigabyte one is shit. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Emmm... the 970 also has dx12 so I'm not sure what your going at with that comment.

Only partial, and it's kinda a hacked together.

Fps, barely in a few titles. But fps are no where near as important as people make them, or more accurately average fps. In Gameworks games the 290 suffers way fewer fps dips, it runs MUCH smoother with fewer shutters, and the 290 also seems to have a wider color palette in Gameworks games than the 390. Takes HOURS to see the difference but it's there. But yes, in benchmarks the 390 is the clear winner. But that wasn't the OP's question;p

I've never cared much for synthetics and this is giving me even more reason not to. Actual game performance or gtfo.

I've never cared much for synthetics and this is giving me even more reason not to. Actual game performance or gtfo.

YES! The 390 is the absolute clear winner in operating temps and power usage though. Also damn near silent (Nitro 390). As big cards go the 390 is surprisingly, not that big.

You won't regret the choice OP, fantastic card. And if you want to do a bit of overclocking make sure to get that sexy MSI 390.

Clearly... but the 390 will supposably be taking more advantage with dx12 then the 970 because of its stronger compute performance..

Clearly... but the 390 will supposably be taking more advantage with dx12 then the 970 because of its stronger compute performance..

Yes, supposedly. Who knows what will happen, unless you have the winning lottery numbers and aren't sharing. All we can do is buy for today and let tomorrow be what it will.

Planning to use the MSI R9 390 for my build, great help everyone! Also, what about software & drivers?

My Build: Night Fury | i5-6600k @ 4.5Ghz | R9 390 | 850 EVO 250GB | 1TB Seagate | H230 Black

Night Theme User

Hello Fellow Night Theme User | Why Aren't You Using Night Theme?