Skyscraper-style chip design boosts performance 1,000-fold

Terry

skyscraperst.jpg

For decades, engineers have designed computer systems with processors and memory chips laid out like single-story structures in a suburb. Wires connect these chips like streets, carrying digital traffic between the proce

ssors that compute data and the memory chips that store it.

But suburban-style layouts create long commutes and regular traffic jams in electronic circuits, wasting time and energy.

That is why researchers from three other universities are working with Stanford engineers, including Associate Professor Subhasish Mitra and Professor H.-S. Philip Wong, to create a revolutionary new high-rise architecture for computing.

In Rebooting Computing, a special issue of the IEEE Computer journal, the team describes its new approach as Nano-Engineered Computing Systems Technology, or N3XT.

N3XT will break data bottlenecks by integrating processors and memory like floors in a skyscraper and by connecting these components with millions of "vias," which play the role of tiny electronic elevators. The N3XT high-rise approach will move more data, much faster, using far less energy, than would be possible using low-rise circuits.

"We have assembled a group of top thinkers and advanced technologies to create a platform that can meet the computing demands of the future," Mitra said.

Shifting electronics from a low-rise to a high-rise architecture will demand huge investments from industry – and the promise of big payoffs for making the switch.

"When you combine higher speed with lower energy use, N3XT systems outperform conventional approaches by a factor of a thousand," Wong said.

To enable these advances, the N3XT team uses new nano-materials that allow its designs to do what can't be done with silicon – build high-rise computer circuits.

"With N3XT the whole is indeed greater than the sum of its parts," said co-author and Stanford electrical engineering Professor Kunle Olukotun, who is helping optimize how software and hardware interact.

I guess we will see if this plays out, cooling is going to be interesting can't seem to find anything that specifies thermals.

http://phys.org/news/2015-12-skyscraper-style-chip-boosts-fold.html

CPU: AMD FX 8150  Motherboard: ROG Crosshair V Formula  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb  GPU: ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum  Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK1  Storage: 128gb Crucial M4, 2tb WD Black  PSU: Antec TPQ 1200w  Display: 55" LG FullHD LED 3D Smart TV  Cooling: H100i, 9 Fans

Looks interesting - maybe more relevant to consumers than quantum computers?

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

Cooling wont be that interesting. Instead of flat bases on the coolers, they will just have a square-shaped hole.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Need to get some more article info in here, but its super interesting, it builds off of the carbon nanotube transistors we've had reported on here a while back. Utilizing them to allow striated multi-layered construction of memory and processing with "electron elevator" vias connecting the layers together, if we can get these things efficient and tiny enough you could have whole systems designed around this build style. imagine an entire Intel i7 system the size of a deck of cards, CPU, GPU, RAM, interconnects and I/O. Running off of the same amount of power as a current gen cell phone.

@Terry interesting, but you need to quote part of the article (section rule) may I suggest posting that image and maybe the first block of text

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

You'd think they would have thought of something like this sooner. It just seems logical.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You'd think they would have thought of something like this sooner. It just seems logical.

Same thing could have been said about 3D nand, I suspect new chip manufacturing processes were the hold up, not the idea itself

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

@Terry interesting, but you need to quote part of the article (section rule) may I suggest posting that image and maybe the first block of text

Sorry, i posted it from my phone most of the functions aren't there, done now.

CPU: AMD FX 8150  Motherboard: ROG Crosshair V Formula  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb  GPU: ROG Matrix 7970 Platinum  Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK1  Storage: 128gb Crucial M4, 2tb WD Black  PSU: Antec TPQ 1200w  Display: 55" LG FullHD LED 3D Smart TV  Cooling: H100i, 9 Fans

Sorry, i posted it from my phone most of the functions aren't there, done now.

All good I was just giving a heads up before a mod told you

... How would a high powered version of this be cooled?

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

They may have thought about it for years and done on-paper stuff, but are only just now getting around to getting it to actually work is my guess.

There's plenty of other stuff that happens like this where you're like "Why wasn't it made like THIS in the first place???".

Feels like someone could make a video game out of this, and call it Sim Chip.

soo this was kinda right???

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

... How would a high powered version of this be cooled?

integrated heatpipes in the design or just use multiphase.

I though there was a post on here a while ago about some people who etched water channels directly into the chip. They could use that kind of tech to cool down the stack.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

Don't forget this design is not the traditional silicon wafer paradigm. The entire thing will be lower voltage, far more efficient, and the changes in physical architecture will reduce the heat creation we would expect to see.

If cooling werent an issue at GHZ frequencies they would have done this a long time ago, we are still fighting with thermal limits, leaks and probably some production problems

But anyway lately shrinking stuff is starting to show its limits and everything seems to be going up from now, 3D nand, HBM stack, skyscraper chips we will keep seeing these, but so far it has been possible only for memory storage since they need less mhz and cooling, i doubt we will see such a cpu with traditional silicon, maybe in the future with graphite + skyscraper for 10k-fold performance.

I'm fairly sure Intel has been trying to do this for ages. But since we are also seeing HBM I'm fairly confident we'll see this in the near future.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

If you give the engineers 3 instead of 2 dimensions to play with sure you get a better result. Just look at 3d crosspoint memory.

However the cost will go up significantly in the first period and will eventually come back again when it's ready for mass production with good yields.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

As for the potential for cooling issues, I'd hope that due to the increased space, the IPC could be boosted to a level that allows for substantially lower clock speeds, maybe even as low as single digit Mhz's. If they end up stacking it, say 1000 levels high, and you could be getting skylake performance @ 4 Mhz. Latency would be a problem though, maybe get the cores to run their cores slightly out of sync on clockspeeds so the effective clockspeed is the number of cores times actual clockspeed?

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

As for the potential for cooling issues, I'd hope that due to the increased space, the IPC could be boosted to a level that allows for substantially lower clock speeds, maybe even as low as single digit Mhz's. If they end up stacking it, say 1000 levels high, and you could be getting skylake performance @ 4 Mhz. Latency would be a problem though, maybe get the cores to run their cores slightly out of sync on clockspeeds so the effective clockspeed is the number of cores times actual clockspeed?

You head into the right direction, but you don't have to go that low. You would save significant power even at 500-1000 MHz.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

Alright I'm done with this forum for tech news. Three OPs today who didn't set their text colour to automatic.

LTT does nothing about the text issue.

Word isn't spreading, or people don't give a shit, they just copy/paste and move on to the next.

RIP night theme this forum section.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

If cooling werent an issue at GHZ frequencies they would have done this a long time ago, we are still fighting with thermal limits, leaks and probably some production problems

But anyway lately shrinking stuff is starting to show its limits and everything seems to be going up from now, 3D nand, HBM stack, skyscraper chips we will keep seeing these, but so far it has been possible only for memory storage since they need less mhz and cooling, i doubt we will see such a cpu with traditional silicon, maybe in the future with graphite + skyscraper for 10k-fold performance.

Well i know they have showed a possible solution. Small channels where water can flow through to cool it off. Yes you still need a rad and such things but it's just a cpu block squished between the cpu layers instead being on top of everything.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon