New Software from Univeristy of Michigan, is 75% accurate in cathing liars.

Arty

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/university-michigan-uses-court-proceedings-identify-characteristics-liars/

Think you’re good at catching people in a lie? You might be, but you’re probably not as good as a computer. Especially not one running this lie-detecting software developed by researchers at the University of Michigan, who studied hours and hours of footage from high-stakes court cases in order to build a tool that can determine whether or not someone’s pants should be combusting.

Better than a polygraph, the new software doesn’t actually need to measure a subject’s pulse, breathing rate, or otherwise touch them at all in order to catch a liar in the act. Rather, the speaker’s words and gestures are analyzed to measure their truthfulness (or the lack thereof).

In initial experiments, the University of Michigan software was significantly more accurate in identifying deception than were humans — in fact, it was 75 percent accurate in finding the liars, whereas humans were right only 50 percent of the time.

So how did they do it?

After poring over 120 video clips from real trials, the researchers found that the people who were lying had a number of distinctive tells. They moved their hands more, scowled or grimaced, said “um” more frequently, and attempted to create a sense of distance between themselves and their alleged crime or civil misbehavior by using words like “he” or “she” rather than “I” or “we.” Even more interesting, liars tended to make a greater effort at sounding sure of themselves — not only would they feign confidence, but they would also look the questioner in the eye, perhaps attempting to establish believability.

Related: Hawaii’s Supreme Court suspends construction of the world’s largest optical telescope

These findings, to some degree, seem contrary to previous claims (and even common sense), that would suggest that liars tend to look away or appear uncertain.

Researchers attribute the newness of their results to the real-life aspect of their experiments, relying on actual media coverage from genuine settings, rather than trying to recreate an artificial environment. “In laboratory experiments, it’s difficult to create a setting that motivates people to truly lie. The stakes are not high enough,” said Rada Mihalcea, a professor of computer science and engineering at UM-Flint. “We can offer a reward if people can lie well — pay them to convince another person that something false is true. But in the real world there is true motivation to deceive.”

Of course, it should be noted that the researchers determined truthfulness by comparing testimony to the ultimate verdict in the trials (so any erroneous verdicts would correspondingly weaken the study results).

But still, the research provides a brand new way of actually looking at truthfulness.

In order to further improve their software, Mihai Burzo, assistant professor of mechanical engineering at UM-Flint who co-led the study, noted that the team would be “integrating physiological parameters such as heart rate, respiration rate and body temperature fluctuations, all gathered with non-invasive thermal imaging.” This, the team hopes, will have huge implications on a number of different industries beyond law — mental health, security, and a number of other fields could be affected by this new-found ability to better determine honesty.

TL:DR, Wors and gestures over bodily functions to determine the truth. 

#Michgan Hype, maybe now more crime can get solved over here in the D.

75% is way to low to be used as any form of evidence in court. Traditional polygraphs are bad enough and if this was widely used people could easily learn to trick it.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

The U-what of Michigan? Unity of Michigan?

75% is way to low to be used as any form of evidence in court. Traditional polygraphs are bad enough and if this was widely used people could easily learn to trick it.

generally they aren't used to convict, just enough to get a warrant or such.

university 

edited title, 

thought was implied.... 

Now, can we please use this on politicians? Not trying to start anything, but I'd like to see if Donald Trump is as honest as people say...

(Assuming this is reliable when not under laboratory conditions.)

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Erm cant tell if troll or not...?

If you took 3 seconds to even read the first sentence you would know -_-

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Now, can we please use this on politicians? Not trying to start anything, but I'd like to see if Donald Trump is as honest as people say...

Trump needs to be deported, and maybe executed... 

but thats just me.

still pretty useless against sociopaths who can manipulate human emotions pretty well.

Sociopaths are so damn interesting.  The hyper-intelligent ones can understand emotion, and they can just turn it off and play with it at their own will.  It's such an incredible thing.

Erm cant tell if troll or not...?

If you took 3 seconds to even read the first sentence you would know -_-

I know what he meant, but I've been taught not to use contractions like that in thread titles.

@Darkman

Shit, I guess I have to hand it to UoM for once. God damn it.

#GoGreen

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I know what he meant, but I've been taught not to use contractions like that in thread titles.

i just didn't want to make the title overly long, i was gonna make it UofM, but thier are more states that have M,....so i left the michigan part in .

still pretty useless against sociopaths who can manipulate human emotions pretty well.

One slip-up is the only thing a computer needs.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

i just didn't want to make the title overly long, i was gonna make it UofM, but thier are more states that have M,....so i left the michigan part in .

I've seen longer titles... but enough about that.

75% isn't enough. As mentioned before, sociopaths can still manipulate it.

But humans are too un-reliable. One slip-up could also just be an itch or spasm, or even simple nervousness from being around cops. 

Also, 75% is not good considering a baseline 50% from random selection.

"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." Richard Fynman

Not just sociopaths but 1 in 4 people. (or 1 in 4 lies, this isn't made clear).

But humans are too un-reliable. One slip-up could also just be an itch or spasm, or even simple nervousness from being around cops. 

Also, 75% is not good considering a baseline 50% from random selection.

One cannot cross the finish line without running the race.

imma just leave it at that.

One cannot cross the finish line without running the race.

imma just leave it at that.

Are you referring to the need for real-word trials?

@Darkman

Shit, I guess I have to hand it to UoM for once. God damn it.

#GoGreen

TBH U of M is better than MSU in pretty much every way possible... haha

System: Thinkpad T460

They can be so calm so it really doesn't matter. If they have fine control over their emotions, they can easily bypass systems like this and have with the polygraph (which isn't even a fantastic system in the first place).

TBH U of M is better than MSU in pretty much every way possible... haha

HOW DARE YE INSULT MY BAE

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

doesn't work on politicians since they rarely lie and instead say something meaningless but sounds good