Any watch..'expert'...or just someone who understands stuffs... Halp XD

Skullbunny

Hai ,

So , yesterday I got a watch off of Massdrop , a 260$ watch for 100$ , ish cool , kinda covered me on the watch area.

BUTTTTTTTTT.....

I am confused like how is it powered ._. , is it typical batteryyyy? I mean I know its not hand winding and not "hacking" like , movement thingy.

But on the Original Site it says something about "power reservation" and i'm just confused like...whats with it...

for how long it lasts...

whats...i...i just odn't know what is it like...can someone slap me some info? >_>

Thank you ^-^ , have a lovely weekend.

is it mechanical ? if so i doesn't need a battery since you move it every now and then

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

is it mechanical ? if so i doesn't need a battery since you move it every now and then

Is that what mechanical means? I don't know tbh I thought that was the "hacking" thingy? idk i heard people saying that alot T-T idk whats happening xD 

its a windup watch

the power reserve means that it will run 40 hours between winding

okay what do you mean by "Windup" , how...? ;-;

It has a battery, the notches in the lid on the back of the watch are for unscrewing the lid to replace the battery.

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

I can't see the page since I don't have massdrop.

Anyway you can get these watches:

drawn-on-watches.png?w=580&h=319

No need for battery.

Is that what mechanical means? I don't know tbh I thought that was the "hacking" thingy? idk i heard people saying that alot T-T idk whats happening xD 

the thing you use to change the time

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

you wind the watch.  there are no batteries, its a fully mechanical watch.  it uses a spring that must be wound in order to run the watch

It has a battery, the notches in the lid on the back of the watch are for unscrewing the lid to replace the battery.

look closely.  no battery.   mechanical

you wind the watch.  there are no batteries, its a fully mechanical watch.  it uses a spring that must be wound in order to run the watch

look closely.  no battery.   mechanical

https://youtu.be/-pU8_KGNdnU?t=5m39s

^ ? :/

"non hand-winding"

? D:

I'm confused now.

If its not hand-winding , how does one wind it up ? >_>...

It's got an "automatic" movement. That means there's a rotor in the back that swings with the movement of your arms (like when walking) that winds the mechanism to keep it working. In theory it will never need winding since the power reserve is 40 hours and that will be "charged" (mechanically) with surprisingly little movement. If you leave it longer than 40 hours or so the power reserve runs out and it will stop ticking and you'll have to get the rotor moving again for a little while to build up some power so it ticks again at which point you can re-set the time to the current time. Most automatic watches allow you to wind using the crown but Orient (and Seiko I think) watches use movements that don't have a winding function in the crown so you actually have to wear the watch and move your arm as though you were walking to wind it properly.

Extra word of warning, don't change the date between 6pm and 6am. At any time between those times it's likely that the gears for the date mechanism are engaged and trying to adjust the date between those times could damage them. Another thing to note is that you should get the watch serviced every 5 years or so to keep the movement working properly because it needs re-oiling by a professional and the gears wear down due to friction and need to be replaced.

Edit:

This is an example of a rotor from a watch with a display back. The big semicircular chunk of metal swings with your wrist movement to wind the watch rather than using the crown to wind it.

alang_image.2467953.jpg

It's got an "automatic" movement. That means there's a rotor in the back that swings with the movement of your arms (like when walking) that winds the mechanism to keep it working. In theory it will never need winding since the power reserve is 40 hours and that will be "charged" (mechanically) with surprisingly little movement. If you leave it longer than 40 hours or so the power reserve runs out and it will stop ticking and you'll have to get the rotor moving again for a little while to build up some power so it ticks again at which point you can re-set the time to the current time. Most automatic watches allow you to wind using the crown but Orient (and Seiko I think) watches use movements that don't have a winding function in the crown so you actually have to wear the watch and move your arm as though you were walking to wind it properly.

Extra word of warning, don't change the date between 6pm and 6am. At any time between those times it's likely that the gears for the date mechanism are engaged and trying to adjust the date between those times could damage them. Another thing to note is that you should get the watch serviced every 5 years or so to keep the movement working properly because it needs re-oiling by a professional and the gears wear down due to friction and need to be replaced.

Edit:

This is an example of a rotor from a watch with a display back. The big semicircular chunk of metal swings with your wrist movement to wind the watch rather than using the crown to wind it.

alang_image.2467953.jpg

*nodnodnod*

Thankies. Much appreciate the help from everyone , special thankies to David for managing to explain it in a way which I understood ^.^

Happy holidays guys <333