Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Problem with wireless!

Hey guys, for weeks I've been having huge spikes in games(especially CS:GO), skype calls constantly have cut offs, and plain terrible internet. At first I thought it was the ISP's problem, but I finally decided to get an ethernet cable and test it out. I have a main modem and router, and I also have a wireless extender on the other side of the house, not very far away, maybe about 10-15 metres away from the main router. I have set the extender on repeater mode, and have set a separate SSID for it(not sure if this is the right thing to do). 

First, I used my ethernet cable to connect to the wireless extender router, and I still faced terrible spikes in CS:GO. I then used the cable for the main router, and it's fine. No spikes at all. However, it is not ideal to constantly be using the cable, and I want to use wireless. Is there anyone who knows what the issue is? Can someone please tell me what to do to prevent the spikes, like changing settings on either router or such? Thanks!

Sounds like bad signal between either the extender and the main router or from the extender to the computer. The fix may be as simple as finding a more optimal position for the extender, or changing the wifi channel.

Try using fiber optic wires... Its pretty fast

Sounds like bad signal between either the extender and the main router or from the extender to the computer. The fix may be as simple as finding a more optimal position for the extender, or changing the wifi channel.

That's what I thought, but wouldn't connecting to the SSID of the main router make there not be spikes, even though the singnal to that ssid is about 3 bars?

Try using fiber optic wires... Its pretty fast

Huh?

That's what I thought, but wouldn't connecting to the SSID of the main router make there not be spikes, even though the singnal to that ssid is about 3 bars?

Potentially it may be better, give it a try. If the connection is more stable from the computer to the main router, without moving the computer closer, then it is definitely an issue with the extender.

If it's possible to move the main router closer and not use the extender that would be the best solution. Extenders can be problematic and often don't work as well as you would expect. Better option is usually to run a cable to another wireless AP that can be closer to the computer, when your on the edge of wireless signal the difference between stable connection and drop outs can be as silly as 1m closer.

are you the only using the router?

check your router's network usage too

you see this? this is my signature. btw im Norwegian 

Spoiler

CPU - Intel I7-5820K, Motherboard - ASUS X99-A, RAM - Crucial DDR4 Ballistix Sport 16GB, GPU - MSI Geforce GTX 970, Case - Cooler Master HAF XB evo, Storage - Intel SSD 330 Series 120GB - OS, WD Desktop Blue 500GB - storage 1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB - storage 2, PSU - Corsair RM850x (overkill i know), Display(s)- AOC 24" g2460Pg, Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, 2 Noctua 120mm PWM, 1 Corsair 120mm AF RED LED, Keyboard - SpeedLink VIRTUIS Advanced, Mouse - razer deathadder chroma, Sound - Logitech Z313, SteelSeries Siberia V2 HyperX Edition, OS - Windows 10 (prefer windows 7)

Whats the hardware? Router, extender, adapter?

PC Audio Setup = Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 hooked up to SMSL SD793-II, Micca MB42 powered by Lepai LP-2020A+, CMTECK XM520 usb mic, gaming audio = Sennheiser pc37x