r9 290 at 21:9

SnowFootprints
Go to solution Solved by Dunedan,

So I'm not the best one to inform you because I'm still researching this. I'm actually in a situation opposite off yours. I have a LG 29UM67-P and my previous monitor was 4:3 wich is 1600x1200. Compared to the 21:9 2560x1080 that's a lot more pixels. It's not very legitimate saying "a lot" but 1920x1080 to 2560x1080 is33% more. So that means even more. I have a GTX 760 2GB. 2GB is important because after all my research vram is the greatest issue with wide-screen gaming. My GPU handled everything pretty well. But after my monitor upgrade performance dropped dramatically. I think yours has 4gb vram. I can't tell you for sure that it will be 100% enough. But you would be fine on like almost all games on the settings you are currently used. Upgrading to 21:9 will cause an fps drop. You should research how much for your GPU. But benchmark I've seen show that most games don't go near 3.5 on ultra. I might sound uncertain to you. That's because you will have to calculate (idk even how) the difference between you currently monitor and the one you will get. Because these benchmarks are run on 16:9. So 33% more is a lot. You will be fine with whatever monitor you choose but I suspect if you get the huge 34" ones you would have to lower a bit graphics. I recommend LG ultrawide btw.

• 4 weeks later...

So I'm not the best one to inform you because I'm still researching this. I'm actually in a situation opposite off yours. I have a LG 29UM67-P and my previous monitor was 4:3 wich is 1600x1200. Compared to the 21:9 2560x1080 that's a lot more pixels. It's not very legitimate saying "a lot" but 1920x1080 to 2560x1080 is33% more. So that means even more. I have a GTX 760 2GB. 2GB is important because after all my research vram is the greatest issue with wide-screen gaming. My GPU handled everything pretty well. But after my monitor upgrade performance dropped dramatically. I think yours has 4gb vram. I can't tell you for sure that it will be 100% enough. But you would be fine on like almost all games on the settings you are currently used. Upgrading to 21:9 will cause an fps drop. You should research how much for your GPU. But benchmark I've seen show that most games don't go near 3.5 on ultra. I might sound uncertain to you. That's because you will have to calculate (idk even how) the difference between you currently monitor and the one you will get. Because these benchmarks are run on 16:9. So 33% more is a lot. You will be fine with whatever monitor you choose but I suspect if you get the huge 34" ones you would have to lower a bit graphics. I recommend LG ultrawide btw.

I got a 29 inch one and the performance is great. I need to grab a display port cable to take full advantage though.