Cpu/Mobo Problems

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,

Plus the fact that it's one core that's usually almost 5-10c higher that I find strange too

Not really. It's uncommon, but it isn't strange. Here a quick print of my setup:

wBexRB3.png

(Ignore voltages, the actual measure is on the mobo and not within the CPU. HWMonitor is being dumb right now)

As you can see, almost 20ºC difference, even though all cores are being stressed to 100% (to be honest, I am cheating a little bit and I know exactly why that difference is so huge on my PC, but you get the point.....)

At any rate, it probably has to do with case airflow (dat GPU of yours could be pumping in the heat!) as well as people usually running -not that much stressful- tests and claiming to have miraculous temps. Couple that with the silicon lottery, and I do think your CPU is PERFECTLY fine.

Hi all.  New here and have some issues with my system.

1.  My I5 3570k has been overclocked stable at 4.1GHz at 1.235vcore for over a month now.  For some reason, when I turned it on today, the computer became stuck on the splash screen and wouldn't post, causing me to reset the CMOS to get it to start.  I have it back at stock clocks now and it seems stable.  Could this have been a motherboard issue or the cpu dying?

2.  On top of my randomly unstable overclock, my temps are acting up quite a bit.  My cpu always seems to have ran hot, usually between 30-37c idle, 71c max under load.  I'm using a Swiftech H220x for my cpu cooler.  I attributed the temps to the overclock.  However, when I reloaded stock settings from the bios, I noticed that the temps seemed to be similar.  It seems that now 3 of the 4 cores idle between 28-31c, and load temps of about 60-65c, in a 21c room, but one of the cores seems to idle much higher, usually between 31-39c, with the same load temps as the overclock had.  I figured the cooler maybe needed to be reseated and to put new thermal compound on.  All I had on hand was the swiftech thermal compound that came with my H220x.  After all was said and done, I was getting the exact same results.  I've check my cooler and the fans are working perfectly as well as the pump.  Is this just my chip that's running hot or could there be a bigger problem?

My build is this:

I5 3570k at stock clocks

Gigabyte Z77-GA-Z77-D3h Mobo

G.skill Ram 4 sticks of 2(8gig)

Sapphire radeon 7950 vapor x(Core clock 1050 Memory clock 1350)

Rosewill Tachyon 550w 80 plus Platinum

Corsair c70 Vengeance case

Swiftech H220x

Thanks for the help all

Well, you most likely just had a -barely- unstable OC to begin with, but only got to the point of failure now. I've had it happen before. Given that your CPU is running very chilly, just give it one extra bump on the voltage and see if you can get back your stability.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I had a feeling it just needed another small voltage bump.  I'm going to give that a shot.  But I'm still not sure about those temps, especially with that cooler.  Shouldn't it be running cooler even at stock speeds?  

Also, before I forget again, those load temps are from intel burn test.

I had a feeling it just needed another small voltage bump.  I'm going to give that a shot.  But I'm still not sure about those temps, especially with that cooler.  Shouldn't it be running cooler even at stock speeds?  

Also, before I forget again, those load temps are from intel burn test.

Seems fine enough to me. Yeah, maybe they could be a bit lower, but it still doesn't strike me as particularly high for your setup.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Could it be possible that its because I have my fan PMW settings on auto and not setting a curve for them or the pump?  This whole temp thing just concerned me because of the fact that I see people who get much lower idle and load temps with this same cooler.  I know every chip is different so I must just have one that runs hotter.  Plus the fact that it's one core that's usually almost 5-10c higher that I find strange too.  I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to overclocking and temps anyway so there's that too xD

Plus the fact that it's one core that's usually almost 5-10c higher that I find strange too

Not really. It's uncommon, but it isn't strange. Here a quick print of my setup:

wBexRB3.png

(Ignore voltages, the actual measure is on the mobo and not within the CPU. HWMonitor is being dumb right now)

As you can see, almost 20ºC difference, even though all cores are being stressed to 100% (to be honest, I am cheating a little bit and I know exactly why that difference is so huge on my PC, but you get the point.....)

At any rate, it probably has to do with case airflow (dat GPU of yours could be pumping in the heat!) as well as people usually running -not that much stressful- tests and claiming to have miraculous temps. Couple that with the silicon lottery, and I do think your CPU is PERFECTLY fine.

Yeah that must be it.  I'm going to fiddle with the case airflow a bit and maybe add an extra fan on the rad but your right its not a horrible temp.  And its still below TJ max so its safe anyway.  Thanks for the help!