Windows can't find my programs after reinstall

Mr. Tobzz

So i just reinstalled windows, because of some driver problems, driver problems are fixed, but now i can not find any of my programs with the search function. I started reinstalling some programs and the i realised that all the files for the programs were there, so i assumed i could just find the programs through windows, but werent able to. plz help if you know a smart and faster way than reinstalling everything

CPU: AMD FX-6300 GPU: AMD Sapphire R9 285 MB: ASUS A97 R2.0 RAM: Crucial balistix sport 2x4gb Storage: Seagate barracuda 1tb, Samsung evo 840 ssd 120gb CPU-cooler: Corsair h60 Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced limited edition Monitor: ASUS 27" and Samsung TV 38" Peripherals: Logitech g502, CM Storm keyboard Speakers: Some ancient JBL studio speakers

So i just reinstalled windows, because of some driver problems, driver problems are fixed, but now i can not find any of my programs with the search function. I started reinstalling some programs and the i realised that all the files for the programs were there, so i assumed i could just find the programs through windows, but werent able to. plz help if you know a smart and faster way than reinstalling everything

The fact all the original files were still there, means you didn't format correctly.. I'd suggest you reformat the drive again fully. Otherwise you're gonna run into 1001 complications down the line. 

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

I wasnt trying to format anything, tbh i didnt even plan to reinstall, just repair. And i really dont feel like downloading 1.5 tb of stuff again

CPU: AMD FX-6300 GPU: AMD Sapphire R9 285 MB: ASUS A97 R2.0 RAM: Crucial balistix sport 2x4gb Storage: Seagate barracuda 1tb, Samsung evo 840 ssd 120gb CPU-cooler: Corsair h60 Case: Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced limited edition Monitor: ASUS 27" and Samsung TV 38" Peripherals: Logitech g502, CM Storm keyboard Speakers: Some ancient JBL studio speakers

I wasnt trying to format anything, tbh i didnt even plan to reinstall, just repair. And i really dont feel like downloading 1.5 tb of stuff again

You reinstalled Windows without Formatting? 

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

Yep, is that dumb?

Yep, is that dumb?

Extremely, there can be overlaps in all sorts of files in Windows, double reading is never good.

If its just files you need use a live Linux disc to try access the drive directly, pull the files off via a USB stick then rebuild windows from scratch.

THEN

Take a full snapshot of the system when you have it to a state with drivers but no extended apps, Stuff like chrome etc.

This gives you a fresh Windows to backup from if you need it, personally I snapshot the bare system then snapshot to Acronis cloud my actual system when its ready (Minus games and stuff, just much needed applications)

Seriously invest in some backup software, I cant count how many times Acronis has saved my life, Hell I have a feeling I am going to be restoring a work machine tonight using their recovery tool

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

Okay, look at it this way - with normal Windows installations - you can't "reinstall" without the installer formatting your hard drive - if you're installing from disk/USB.

If you just went to "Refresh Windows & Leave my Files alone," that could be done, I guess.

But yes, reinstalling Windows without re-formatting is "dumb" and your newly re-installed Windows OS is probably pretty screwed up. 

Files for programs may be "there" but the programs are by no means installed still.

Definitely re-install again, with re-formatting this time.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Just make sure i got it right. Format both ssd and harddrives, and redownload everything?, Cuz it seems to be running ok

Just make sure i got it right. Format both ssd and harddrives, and redownload everything?, Cuz it seems to be running ok

And i used that "keep my files" thing