6/2(2+1)

OAcesync

I'm sure some of you have probably seen this question 6/2(2+1)

I was in an argument on twitter with people saying the answer was nine when it has to be 1 because in equation you always solve the bracket and the number attached to bracket meaning it can't be nine because if you turned 6 into X to naturally solve X you would do 9/2(2+1)= X but you can't get 6 meaning it's incorrect.

I strongly believe the answer is 1 but I want to understand why people think it's 9 or if I'm actually incorrect(which I don't think I am)

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

6/2(2+1) -> 6/2*3 -> 3*3 -> 9

6/2(2+1) -> 6/2*3 -> 6/6 -> 1

Order of operations

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

6/2(2+1) -> 6/2*3 -> 3*3 -> 9

6/2(2+1) -> 6/2*3 -> 6/6 -> 1

Order of operations

I know that but I was saying bracket and numbers attached should always be priority so it shouldn't be 9 even if division and multiplication have same priority

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

BODMAS doesn't solve numbers directly outside brackets first.  It's 9 cos you do 2+1 first, and the 3 is still in the bracket alone, then 6/2 cos Division comes before Multiplication so the division of 6/2 happens before the multiplication of the result of 6/2 and (3).

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

yeah it can be both. You should put it like this:

(6/2)*(2+1)=9 

but 6/(2(2+1))=1

current system:  i5 2500k @4.5ghz cooled by antec 620 - asrock z77 extreme 4 - 8gb corsair RAM - MSI Twin Frorz 7950 in crossfire - XFX 850w  - Fractal design R4 - samsung 840 120gb ssd - 500gb wd blue hdd - 1440p korean qnix monitor (love it!)

It depends whether the equation written is implying:

6/2  * (2+1)  or 6/[2 * (2+1)]

is the (2+1) below the line on the same level as the 2?

Normally 6/2(2+1) implies that it is not on the same level unless it is explicitly stated.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I know that but I was saying bracket and numbers attached should always be priority so it shouldn't be 9 even if division and multiplication have same priority

This is kinda like the what colour is the dress thing. People in (my primary school/s) schools anyways are taught BIDMAS where stuff in the bracket is always done first, then everything else. 

6/2(2plus1)

6 / 2 x 3

6 / 6

Yeah this is now opinion/education based.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

So first things first.... Implied multiplication is a bad habit.

Secondly YOU CANNOT AND SHOULD NOT work on the things attached to parentheses and brackets first, only what is inside them.

When on to operations of the same order, work left to right. By DEFINITION 4/3*2 is not the same as 4/(3*2) but is the same as 4/3*(2) and hence when using implied multiplication (even though it's a really bad habit) 4/3(2)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I'm sorry but this is WRONG. It is straight up incorrect.

That is not how implied multiplication works.

This is kinda like the what colour is the dress thing. People in (my primary school/s) schools anyways are taught BIDMAS where stuff in the bracket is always done first, then everything else. 

Yeah this is now opinion/education based.

There is no opinion on this. There is only one correct way to treat implied multiplication even if its very use leads to these sort of mistakes (hence why it is highly discouraged in proper form).

In the absence of additional information...

4/3(2) is always to be treated as 4/3*(2) which is 8/3.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

snip

snip

snip

snip

snip

If you want the equation to result in 1 as the answer, it would be written 6/[2(2+1)].

6/2(2+1) is the same as 6/2 * (2+1) where the (2+1) = 3, not 1/3.

You can even write it out on paper:

6 * (2+1) = 9

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

pemdas motherfuckers

dont forget that m and d take place at the same time

so

6/2*3

3*3

theres no way that its one, im  sorry

wow, BIDMAS, simple. so guess what it's 9....

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

pemdas motherfuckers

dont forget that m and d take place at the same time

so

6/2*3

3*3

theres no way that its one, im  sorry

So there is a bit of historical information here, even if it was due to laziness of convention and poor text scripting... 

Certain physics textbooks use the convention IN THEIR WRITING that 1/2x is 1 over the quantity 2x. Now the reason for that is that prior to digital type faces it was not possible to easily write fractions with complex numerators. So instead of using lots of additional divisors or brackets they decided to consider all that followed a / as under the / until the next explicit multiplication on the same order. This WAS ONLY DONE as a way to conveniently publish complex equations.

Again implicit multiplication should be avoided whenever possible, but in the absence of information to the contrary, in both handwritten and LaTeX formatting (by far the most common formatting used in modern publications) implicit multiplication should always be assumed to be directly substituted by explicit multiplication in location with left to right movement of the same order functions.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

So there is a bit of historical information here, even if it was due to laziness of convention and poor text scripting... 

Certain physics textbooks use the convention IN THEIR WRITING that 1/2x is 1 over the quantity 2x. Now the reason for that is that prior to digital type faces it was not possible to easily write fractions with complex numerators. So instead of using lots of additional divisors or brackets they decided to consider all that followed a / as under the / until the next explicit multiplication on the same order. This WAS ONLY DONE as a way to conveniently publish complex equations.

Again implicit multiplication should be avoided whenever possible, but in the absence of information to the contrary, in both handwritten and LaTeX formatting (by far the most common formatting used in modern publications) implicit multiplication should always be assumed to be directly substituted by explicit multiplication in location with left to right movement of the same order functions.

pemdas is good enough for this garbage

i know the stupid stuff behind it

pemdas is good enough for this garbage

i know the stupid stuff behind it

Indeed, although avoiding implicit multiplication is even better at preventing things from being an issue.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Indeed, although avoiding implicit multiplication is even better at preventing things from being an issue.

fair point

i just didnt want to get to far into this

i fear it will make me  retarded

It's 1 if you say everything after 6 is the denominator.  If you take the equation to be 6/[2(2+1)] then the answer is 1 be cause once you get to 6/2*3 you must realize that nothing is multiplied by three, but rather by 1/3 as it is in the denominator.  This is why I hate using / for division.

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

It's 1 if you say everything after 6 is the denominator.  If you take the equation to be 6/[2(2+1)] then the answer is 1 be cause once you get to 6/2*3 you must realize that nothing is multiplied by three, but rather by 1/3 as it is in the denominator.  This is why I hate using / for division.

I only used because there was nothing else, I always use fractions but even if I use fraction format I don't see how you could form 9 but oh well

Setup

This is why I use copious parentheses. It's ambiguous wording (numbering?) so it could be either way. I would get 9, though.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Follow PEMDAS (Parenthesis, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction) with the from left to right rule. I'm not any sort of mathematician, quite the opposite, but even I know that. 

s4mbk0.png

Even Google knows.