Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

AMD FX-8350 vs. I5 4690k

Well I wouldn't think so. I have a friend who is running a stock 8320 and a 970 so should be simular if not less power than yours. (he does play at a slighly lower res.) But he completly maxes out Arma 3 with solid 60 fps. So i don't know what to tell you. 

That is exactly what people are telling me, "You should be able to do all that fine with your current setup" but it just doesn't I can't figure out why...

Sorry for asking this but, would I be able to stream/record with this processor and still have good performance?

i stream and record on a 4690k. it works.

disregard women, fold proteins.

systems:

Spoiler

Main (in rebuild - specs when finished) - Zenith.
R9 3900x 4.25GHz All-Core // X570 Aorus Ultra // 32GB 3200MHz // 3090 FTW3 Ultra // Meshify S2 White/Black (Foam Filter Delete)

Folding Station - Polaris. (Temporarily out of use)

i7-4790k 4.8GHz // Z97X-UD5H // 32GB 2133MHz // 2080Ti Lightning Z // Define R6 (Front Panel Mod)

TV / LAN machine - The Hiss.

R5 3600 4.25GHz All-Core // B450i Aorus Pro Wifi // 16GB 3200MHz // Vega64 Silver (Air) // Phanteks Evolv ITX (Front Panel Mod)

Laptop 1 - Valkyrie.

i7-8750H // Asus FX705GM // 32GB 2400MHz // 1060 6GB

Spoiler

Partner's Bastard Box - Sundae.

i5-4460 // Gigabyte H97N-WiFi // 16GB 1600MHz // 1080Ti FE // Define Nano S

(Upgrade planned: i5-8600K // Asus Prime Z370-M Plus // 16GB 3200MHz // 1080Ti FE) // Meshify C Mini (Foam Filter Delete)

From what I am reading, I will most likely get either the I5 4690k or the Xeon 1231 V3. Do you have an opinion on this decision? 

looks about the same in benchmarks, also single core performance is about the same aswell. hyperthreading will be hugely beneficial for you in rendering, also gaming + streaming. so go with the xeon

post-238415-0-45575000-1449848954_thumb.

post-238415-0-82199900-1449848961.png

Okay, here is my problem with my PC at the moment. I have not found out how to fix this:

When I play games I get low fps, is there something wrong with my hardware? Or should I just upgrade my CPU? When I play games I don't get the performance that I should. When I play CSGO I get 100-130 FPS (I should get more than that), when I play DAYZ and DAYZ(MOD) I get 20-35 FPS. When I play ARMA 3, its not playable, I get 10-20 FPS. I can't figure out why.

EDIT: I copy and pasted that, that is why there are questions.

The 8350 could be bottlenecking the 970 a little bit. (Might have to check my facts on that one) Also, ARMA 3 and DAYZ are fairly CPU intensive from what I hear, so the 8350 might not have good enough per-core performance to keep up.

I get the point, but I've never heard someone mention 100+ fps in CS:GO being inadequate. Again, I get why he brought it up. It should be higher, but I doubt it would make a visible difference.

i stream and record on a 4690k. it works.

If you don't mind me asking (Aka being an annoying tard) 

What games do you play? What resolution? What quality do you play those games at? What is your average FPS? What quality are your videos? What quality is your stream?

(I think that is it.. Sorry for all the questions.) 

That is exactly what people are telling me, "You should be able to do all that fine with your current setup" but it just doesn't I can't figure out why...

Well I won't be able to figure out without being there. But I will tell you. If you have the money for a cpu/ mobo upgrade i would wait to get that extra 10% by going with the i5 6500k. 

I wouldn't think it would be much of an upgrade enless you try to get the best per core. Yes it will still stream. It will affect you fps. BUt not as much as you might think. 

I have always delt with AMD rigs and have gotten some suprising performance numbers. 

But I do run an overclocked i5 4690k (4.4) And I love my game play. I don't max out Arma 3 with smooth FPS though. I can with medium to high settings though. 

YOu also could go into the settings through steam and optimize it to use all 8 cores. There are lots of video on youtube about it. YOu just copy and past in a code. 

Edit: This would be for Arma 3 game play. I think my friend did this and it worked for him. 

The 8350 could be bottlenecking the 970 a little bit. (Might have to check my facts on that one) Also, ARMA 3 and DAYZ are fairly CPU intensive from what I hear, so the 8350 might not have good enough per-core performance to keep up.

I get the point, but I've never heard someone mention 100+ fps in CS:GO being inadequate. Again, I get why he brought it up. It should be higher, but I doubt it would make a visible difference.

Actually in CSGO, I play competitively and I can notice an extreme difference in FPS because I focus so hard on the games, anything below 200 and I suffer (First world problems, am I right?). That is why I brought it up. 

YOu also could go into the settings through steam and optimize it to use all 8 cores. There are lots of video on youtube about it. YOu just copy and past in a code. 

Edit: This would be for Arma 3 game play. I think my friend did this and it worked for him. 

I already do that for my games.

I already do that for my games.

What is your FPS difference for running them how steam defalts VS. how you have optimized it?

What is your FPS difference for running them how steam defalts VS. how you have optimized it?

The FPS difference really isn't that much maybe 5 more FPS?

Actually in CSGO, I play competitively and I can notice an extreme difference in FPS because I focus so hard on the games, anything below 200 and I suffer (First world problems, am I right?). That is why I brought it up.

Link me to your 200Hz monitor plz. I wanna see it.

The FPS difference really isn't that much maybe 5 more FPS?

then if you get like 15 fps with that rig in Arma 3 then there is something wrongsoftware wise. SO do fix and get gooder DOOT DOOT!

Link me to your 200Hz monitor plz. I wanna see it.

I mean, It is smoother with more FPS. Just something I notice.

Hello! 

What are you guy's thoughts? I currently have the AMD, but i'm wanting to go to intel.

Would it be worth buying the I5 4690k? Or should I opted for something else?

Intel: Gaming, Good single-core performance, CPU intensive tasks with 4 cores or less (in this case)

AMD: Value, Really badly need an 8 core but can't afford Intel.

You see it's Intel > AMD unless you're talking value.

Intel: Gaming, Good single-core performance, CPU intensive tasks with 4 cores or less (in this case)

AMD: Value, Really badly need an 8 core but can't afford Intel.

You see it's Intel > AMD unless you're talking value.

By looking at your rig, I see you have the CPU I might get, Do you stream/record with it? If you do, does it handle well with performance while streaming/recording?

I don't stream, but I can run Shadow Play, recording or not and there's zero difference, no performance impact. I have an OC, but in this case I don't think it matters.

As of right now, im going to see if all my drivers are  up-to-date. If I can't find a way to fix my PC's performance, I'm just might get an Intel CPU. 

My biggest worry about getting the Xeon, is that will I have good performance while playing games? From what I was reading it said its good for recording (Rendering, streaming, ect.) I want to be able to record atleast 720p videos, would I be able to do that and maintain good fps in game? I also read that it is a server CPU, What is the difference from a server to a desktop (Normal) CPU? 

(Sorry for all these questions, I just want to make sure its right for me)

You'd do fine. It's basically an i5-4460 with 4 more threads. Difference between server and desktop CPUs? Server ones are much better binned, resulting in a chip that'll last longer.

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

As of right now, im going to see if all my drivers are  up-to-date. If I can't find a way to fix my PC's performance, I'm just might get an Intel CPU. 

Why don't you try reimaging and installing all the latest drivers, instead of installing new drivers on top of the old ones. It should determine if it's a hardware or software problem. AND it eliminates extra variables.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | ASUS RX 580 Dual OC | 16GB DDR4

Why don't you try reimaging and installing all the latest drivers, instead of installing new drivers on top of the old ones. It should determine if it's a hardware or software problem. AND it eliminates extra variables.

How would I go about doing that?

Okay, I can spend ~$300USD on a new processor, I am going to try and figure out my current AMD CPU, but if I can't improve its performance i'm going to buy an Intel. So I have about $300USD to spend on a CPU.

The i5 is better because it actually has an upgrade path unlike the 8350 and the i5 has better per core performance.

upgrade path does not give you better FPS.

better hardware does.

his only real upgrade over a 8350 is a i7... which costs AT MINIMUM 350 USD for CPU + shitty board. 500 USD for good board + CPU...

@Jerahmy

i went from a FX 8320 + Sabertooth R2.0 to a i7 4790k + ASUS Maximus VII HERO board...

500 USD investment.

i got on average 15 FPS more.....

no matter what, DO NOT BUY LGA 1150 BASED HASWELL.

get skylake i7 or X99 5920k AT MINIMUM. there is no fucking way you are going to "make a good investment" going with LGA 1150 based haswell.... i did it, i sort of regret it, sort of dont.

the FPS i didnt really need, the mobo and chipset features however, i did like....

How would I go about doing that?

Reinstall Windows and, after this is done, use Chrome and search for the latest video drivers and install those, or install the New GeForce Experience. It should install the drivers for you.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600 | ASUS RX 580 Dual OC | 16GB DDR4