Whats with the ip address on my network printer

blizzardchris
Go to solution Solved by Wombo,

My work gave me there old laser printer its a lexmark t644 so i took it home pluged it in did the test print all good so i pluged it into my switch downloaded the driver and installed it during the installation i picked up the printer on the network and life was good untill i went to print something and it fail i looked on my router and the printer was on 192.168.157.1 so i pinged that from my pc but it timed out i after following a few tutorials online on installing a network printer and that didnt work so i thought id change the ip on the printer to 192.168.157.44 to see what happened but that was exactly the same then i changed it to 192.168.1.44 and bam it was found by the pc straight away why did the 1 insted of 157 work

The main issue here is that the defualt subnet mask for a 192.168.x.x network is /24 or 255.255.255.0 This essentially means that unless the first three segments of the IP address match the devices won't be on the same subnet and won't be able to directly communicate. If two devices are not on the same subnet they require a device with routing functionalities to route the traffic between the two subnets.

While you will have a router to direct your traffic back to your ISP in reality the function of this is limited by implementation. Anything connected to the "LAN" ports on the device will be on the same "switch", meaning they are believed to be on the same subnet. This means no routing is required however the devices must be on the same subnet. Anything on the other end, the "WAN" port will be considered to be of a different subnet and must be routed to. Your device simply hands that traffic off to your ISP, who has real routers and devices capable of getting your traffic to its destination, and back again.

My work gave me there old laser printer its a lexmark t644 so i took it home pluged it in did the test print all good so i pluged it into my switch downloaded the driver and installed it during the installation i picked up the printer on the network and life was good untill i went to print something and it fail i looked on my router and the printer was on 192.168.157.1 so i pinged that from my pc but it timed out i after following a few tutorials online on installing a network printer and that didnt work so i thought id change the ip on the printer to 192.168.157.44 to see what happened but that was exactly the same then i changed it to 192.168.1.44 and bam it was found by the pc straight away why did the 1 insted of 157 work

THE RIG 

CPU: i7 3770K @ 4.9 COOLER: Kraken X61 MOBO: Z77 Sabertooth RAM: Vengeance 16gb @1600 GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850w SSD: 850 Pro 256Gb    CASE: B/W phantom 410 AUDIO: Kraken 7.1 Chroma MOUSE: Death Adder Chroma KEYBOARD: Black Widow Chroma MONITOR: Triple 23" Apple Cinama Displays   VR: HTC Vive & Oculus Rift DK2 

subnet issues

your PC only can ping to devices which are on the same subnet

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

As above, subnetting.  You can't ping devices that aren't in the same subnet.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

The main issue here is that the defualt subnet mask for a 192.168.x.x network is /24 or 255.255.255.0 This essentially means that unless the first three segments of the IP address match the devices won't be on the same subnet and won't be able to directly communicate. If two devices are not on the same subnet they require a device with routing functionalities to route the traffic between the two subnets.

While you will have a router to direct your traffic back to your ISP in reality the function of this is limited by implementation. Anything connected to the "LAN" ports on the device will be on the same "switch", meaning they are believed to be on the same subnet. This means no routing is required however the devices must be on the same subnet. Anything on the other end, the "WAN" port will be considered to be of a different subnet and must be routed to. Your device simply hands that traffic off to your ISP, who has real routers and devices capable of getting your traffic to its destination, and back again.

As wombo said your subnet mask was out of range. you would have to place it with in the correct range that is set on your router. so your router would have to be set to 192.168.0.0 with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0 but this might create some issues as networks can be very picky. so its easier to keep the subnet mask smaller. 

Please Quote so i know you have replied. | If we have provided a solution to your problem mark it with answer found.

And also please read the COC and avoid the embarrassment and lecture that will ensue.

thanx im new to networking i assumed all it needed was a unique ip thanks again

THE RIG 

CPU: i7 3770K @ 4.9 COOLER: Kraken X61 MOBO: Z77 Sabertooth RAM: Vengeance 16gb @1600 GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1080 PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 850w SSD: 850 Pro 256Gb    CASE: B/W phantom 410 AUDIO: Kraken 7.1 Chroma MOUSE: Death Adder Chroma KEYBOARD: Black Widow Chroma MONITOR: Triple 23" Apple Cinama Displays   VR: HTC Vive & Oculus Rift DK2