How to ask to right amount of money for a website?

h3rm3s

So, I'm 15 years old and I have experience with HTML, CSS, JS,  Python, PHP, C and ARM Assembly. I recently started making a website for my dad's company, it's a win win situation, I won't ask him for 1000$ and I'll get a bit of money. But altough I'm happy with the money I get, I really don't want to make websites for people for 100$, it takes time, and usually people don't understand it's not my job as a web developer to design their logo.

I talked about this problem with my mom, but she didn't seem to understand. She said "You are not yet able to program everything, so that's why you can't ask that much money". While it's certainly true I don't work for a company and that I can't program EVERYTHING (obviously), she doesn't seem to realize that I put a huge amount of time in websites and that her argument doesn't make a lot of sense since I CAN program all things people have asked from me. And obviously there doesn't exist a programmer that can program everything.

So to conclude, I spend a large amount of time making websites, figuring out hosting services, their domain names and making their logos (while the agreement was I just made a website), on top of that I usually have to keep maintaining those websites for free (updating stuff, and adding more content) and I get only 100$ because 'I can't program everything that could be imagined'. And on top of that there is the fact that no one I know understands this because they don't understand I WORK to get this stuff done, they all call me lazy because I sit all day behind a computer.

How do I make clear to people that I'm not a lazy idiot-slave solving peoples online existence. And how do I ask the right amount of money for my work?

(I'm not greedy, and I understand I can't ask the same as companies, but let's be serious, 100$ not enough for a website that would cost 1000$-2000$ dollars if done by a company, and remember that I also have to randomly create their logo and figure out hosting stuff.)

Thanks in advance!!!

So, I'm 15 years old and I have experience with HTML, CSS, JS,  Python, PHP, C and ARM Assembly. I recently started making a website for my dad's company, it's a win win situation, I won't ask him for 1000$ and I'll get a bit of money. But altough I'm happy with the money I get, I really don't want to make websites for people for 100$, it takes time, and usually people don't understand it's not my job as a web developer to design their logo.

I talked about this problem with my mom, but she didn't seem to understand. She said "You are not yet able to program everything, so that's why you can't ask that much money". While it's certainly true I don't work for a company and that I can't program EVERYTHING (obviously), she doesn't seem to realize that I put a huge amount of time in websites and that her argument doesn't make a lot of sense since I CAN program all things people have asked from me. And obviously there doesn't exist a programmer that can program everything.

So to conclude, I spend a large amount of time making websites, figuring out hosting services, their domain names and making their logos (while the agreement was I just made a website), on top of that I usually have to keep maintaining those websites for free (updating stuff, and adding more content) and I get only 100$ because 'I can't program everything that could be imagined'. And on top of that there is the fact that no one I know understands this because they don't understand I WORK to get this stuff done, they all call me lazy because I sit all day behind a computer.

How do I make clear to people that I'm not a lazy idiot-slave solving peoples online existence. And how do I ask the right amount of money for my work?

(I'm not greedy, and I understand I can't ask the same as companies, but let's be serious, 100$ not enough for a website that would cost 1000$-2000$ dollars if done by a company, and remember that I also have to randomly create their logo and figure out hosting shit.)

Thanks in advance!!!

Hi! Fellow 15 year old here! I would charge a initial consultation fee of around $25 and then work on a fixed hourly rate and record how many hours u do (like $15-25) and then for any additional services such as updates and redesign should be a fixed hourly cost again, and charge for a consultation is another is needed!

Good Luck!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

why would they pay you to make one in the first place when they can just use squarespace??

Now with the offer code LINUS get 10% off your first order!!!

squarespace_logo.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'd ask for $15-30 initially and $10 an hour (since that's around minimum wage). I'd charge an extra $5-10 if there's PHP or anything that's not a core language. For example, a site that only uses HTML, CSS, and JS (or jQuery or whatever) would be the base and if PHP is needed I'd add an extra $5. And then another $20 for continued tech support and "extended" browser support (aka IE).

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Be professional about it with people. Lay everything you are willing to do for a certain price point in something like a contract. Maybe have an interactive site to give an example of the differences between $100, $200 and say $1000. Have an option to keep maintaining it, offer separate logo design service etc. Maybe even some sort of hourly pay that they need to give you?

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

why would they pay you to make one in the first place when they can just use squarespace??

squarespace_logo.jpg

Because these people LITERALLY don't understand how to download an exe and run it.

squarespace_logo.jpg

Pardon my language (don't report me pls) but poop you (see what I did there?). This is a 15year old kid with hopes of making money off of an awesome skill that he's learned and even if it's a joke, it's annoying to come in here and just be all like SQUARESPACE

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Be professional about it with people. Lay everything you are willing to do for a certain price point in something like a contract. Maybe have an interactive site to give an example of the differences between $100, $200 and say $1000. Have an option to keep maintaining it, offer separate logo design service etc. Maybe even some sort of hourly pay that they need to give you?

Thanks!!! I'll certainly do that!!! :P

Thanks!!! I'll certainly do that!!! :P

No problem. Since I'm into photography I regularly browse /r/photography and the horror stories of so and so isn't paying and all or there asking for too much, this is what I've seen recommended and it seems to work quite well. 

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Hi! Fellow 15 year old here! I would charge a initial consultation fee of around $25 and then work on a fixed hourly rate and record how many hours u do (like $15-25) and then for any additional services such as updates and redesign should be a fixed hourly cost again, and charge for a consultation is another is needed!

Good Luck!

I'll certainly follow that method! Thanks!!!

I'd ask for $15-30 initially and $10 an hour (since that's around minimum wage). I'd charge an extra $5-10 if there's PHP or anything that's not a core language. For example, a site that only uses HTML, CSS, and JS (or jQuery or whatever) would be the base and if PHP is needed I'd add an extra $5. And then another $20 for continued tech support and "extended" browser support (aka IE).

Good tips!!! Haha!!! extended browser support (IE)!!! Thanks!!!

Because these people LITERALLY don't understand how to download an exe and run it.

You dont even download anything...its a webpage

everything is web based

Pardon my language (don't report me pls) but poop you (see what I did there?). This is a 15year old kid with hopes of making money off of an awesome skill that he's learned and even if it's a joke, it's annoying to come in here and just be all like SQUARESPACE

YwgbT16.gif?noredirect

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

everything is web based

YwgbT16.gif?noredirect

Yes ofcourse, I know you don't need to download stuff for Squarespace, I just wanted to give you an example of their computer knowledge. Awesome GIF thing (wathever it is)! :)

Research. There's a lot of advice out there for freelance web developers (most likely by professionals). Google and read, then do it some more.

After you do some research, if you still have questions that you can't find answers to, seek out and talk to professionals who do what you are trying to do. Anyone else is probably just guessing with the advice they give. It doesn't mean they're wrong, but they aren't the people I would want to hear from. I'm sure some of them frequent places like r/web_design, the workplace stackexchange, etc so ask around.

Many people have personal blogs, twitter, and what not these days so you might even be able to personally get in contact with some of them (though don't take it the wrong way if they don't ever respond).

everything is web based

-snip-

Yay calculus!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Research. There's a lot of advice out there for freelance web developers (most likely by professionals). Google and read, then do it some more.

After you do some research, if you still have questions that you can't find answers to, seek out and talk to professionals who do what you are trying to do. Anyone else is probably just guessing with the advice they give. It doesn't mean they're wrong, but they aren't the people I would want to hear from. I'm sure some of them frequent places like r/web_design, the workplace stackexchange, etc so ask around.

Many people have personal blogs, twitter, and what not these days so you might even be able to personally get in contact with some of them (though don't take it the wrong way if they don't ever respond).

I'll certainly look at the places you told me, and do some more research!!! Thanks!!!

First, have a signed contract detailing at a high level what you agree to do. Estimate the work required and quote an hourly rate. Then ask for a percentage to start, say 25%. Also detail what you don't do, extended maintenance, logo's etc., Though that CAN be done for an additional fee, etc.

Been some other good suggestions here as well. 

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I'd do all of the above. Except refferring them to the slow-as-heck loading Squarespace. And then I'd read http://clientsfromhell.net to realize, you're not alone :D

Java and fullstack web developer (JS). PM if you need major critical level support.

Beginners, please learn to debug your programs! --- If you're posting code, please use code tags!

I don't know how best to price this kind of thing but I do know you should invoice using freshbooks!

Check them out at http://freshbooks.com/LINUS and enter code LINUS in the "How did you hear about us?" section.

I'd do all of the above. Except refferring them to the slow-as-heck loading Squarespace. And then I'd read http://clientsfromhell.net to realize, you're not alone :D

Hahaha!!! that's an awesome website, thanks for showing me!!! :)

In the real world, someone with your skills, but lack of experience, could command up to $50 an hour. NYC Metro area. If you are local, give me a call for an internship.

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700k CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i Mobo:  Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X 32GB 2133 Storage #1: 1TB 850 EVO SSD Storage #2: Western Digital Black 2TB Storage #3: Western Digital Green 4TB GPU: Gigabyte 980 Ti G1 Case: Mastercase5 PSU: EVGA 750 W G2 80+Gold Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown Mouse: Razer Deathadder Elite Monitor: LG 34UM94 Headset: Bose

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S9

In the real world, someone with your skills, but lack of experience, could command up to $50 an hour. NYC Metro area. If you are local, give me a call for an internship.

Oh! I'd really love an internship! Thanks by the way! But I live in Belgium (Europe), so that's a bit far. But I REALLY appreciate the fact you'd offer me one. Thanks again!

Before I read what everyone else suggested I was going to say just roll a die and multiply it by $20 for base price, then charge $15 per hour of work on the site. But now my suggestion sounds juvenile...

Before I read what everyone else suggested I was going to say just roll a die and multiply it by $20 for base price, then charge $15 per hour of work on the site. But now my suggestion sounds juvenile...

Well, it's an interesting way of making a price, I might use it sometimes. :) Thanks!