Screwdriver head stuck under motherboard how screwed am I?

I have an old dell that i've been working on. Well one of my screwdriver heads from my screwdriver must have fallen off and now it's stuck under my motherboard and I'm too lazy to dissasemble the entire thing just to retrieve it. How likely is this to cause a problem?

Very likely, as the head is made of metal and there's a lot of traces on the back of your motherboard.

You might be able to get it out with some plastic poker, but I'd recommend just removing the motherboard completely to prevent scratching the traces on it...

You should definatley dismantle and retrieve it!!! It will cause a short and this can render a number of dead components!!!

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Don't leave it there unless you are ok with a fire, or a dead PC. One of those is inevitable if you do leave it there as there are lots of exposed traces on the back of motherboards and screwdriver heads are made of metal which happens to also be conductive and able to cause a short. The amount of random shorts it would cause would also probably a lot if it didn't cause long term damage when you first power it up.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

I've touched the back of the PCB of my GPU (right behind the chip itself) with my bare finger while my system was running. Nothing happened. yeet

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Anything metal that shouldn't really be in a PC case SHOULD BE REMOVED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

Such things include wire ties, loose screws, screwdriver bits and other bits of metal.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I've touched the back of the PCB of my GPU (right behind the chip itself) with my bare finger while my system was running. Nothing happened. yeet

Your finger and a driver bit do not have a lot in common. Unless you're a robot.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

in times like these, i would almost want to push "start" and try my luck...

Some people just want to watch the world burn. :P

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Your finger and a driver bit do not have a lot in common. Unless you're a robot.

Skin is still conductive, soo

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

Only a sweaty one, normal dry skin has too much resistance.

average humans body has a resistance of 1667 Ohm.... copper is like 0.0175.... aluminium is 0.0250...

even if you are soaking wet, your conductivity is very poor compared to any common metal.

Took it all apart and ended and couldn't even find it.  After I got it all back together found the head on the table next to me doh!

Like electric resistance!

:D

LICK YOUR FINGER AND TOUCH IT SOME MORE!

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313