Do you think custom built laptops will become a thing?

GeekJump

Read Title***

I remember seeing laptop cases and other mods a few years back but they were all bulky. Now, with high performance parts being tiny I wonder if we would start seeing companies making mobile parts for people to buy and build like we do with regular PCs. Or, if it's even possible yet (market and profit-wise). 

I personally would love to have a go building a laptop if only the parts were readily available. 

Discuss...

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I really dont think so. Laptops are more like a "casual" market.

Java Programmer, AMD Fanboy and soon to be casemodder

Not until MXM modules drop in price. 4 year old high end MXM modules still cost more than current high end desktop GPU's. They are only genuinely sold to OEM's, and the demand for custom built laptops are too small for the vendors to start selling them to consumers. 

I remember when barebone kits were being sold. I even built one back in the day with a 9800m (Which BTW, still costs around $200 on ebay). 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Yeah, laptops are casual market PC's, their nice don't get me wrong but, it's just not applicable to custom make it since standards would need to be created.

Brah, do you even Java?

SNIP

A custom laptop will never be as efficient as a specifically designed one

the motherboards are designed to fit into a particular chassis, the cooling solution designed for the hardware and laptops shape size and design

you can get laptops with upgradable CPUs, GPUs, Ram and storage - etc so you can fully customize and upgrade

EG my 3 year old alienware M18x r2, I can just go and buy 2x 980ms to fit inside for about £1000

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think main thing why this doesn't happen because there isn't a "standard" size for most of the components. Laptops usually have differently shaped motherboards in every different laptop and obviously that can make it difficult to fit inside a laptop case.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

-sniporoni-

-snip-

Manufacturers could make standard sizes if they wanted to just like PC sizes are pretty much standard.

I would even like more barebone options. Case, power, and mobo pre-installed but let me add my own memory/storage/gpu. 

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Manufacturers could make standard sizes if they wanted to just like PC sizes are pretty much standard.

I would even like more barebone options. Case, power, and mobo pre-installed but let me add my own memory/storage/gpu. 

You can pretty much already do that, go on a site that does clevo laptops, pick one of 30 processors, one of 10 gpus, ram, storage the build and ship it to your house

Standardisation would not work IMO, but hey its a neat idea

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

no. because for a laptop to be custom built there would be a huge need for standardized motherboards. wich will just not happen. ever.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

You can pretty much already do that, go on a site that does clevo laptops, pick one of 30 processors, one of 10 gpus, ram, storage the build and ship it to your house

Standardisation would not work IMO, but hey its a neat idea

That's what people said back in the dark ages when 5MB was seen as shit ton of storage.

"Hey Tim, imagine standard motherboards and components for people to easily make our computers at home without soldering and such".  

"Shut up Billy-Bob! That will never happen!"

^ Actual conversation in the 1970's. Probably, maybe...

SNIP

But you cannot really do it, there will ALWAYS be limitations

You cannot just slam a high end i7 into an 11" ultrabook, not without serious cooling issues,

the laptop chassis and builds have to be designed around their specs

It would also stifle innovation as maybe a company wants to make a new design but cant because of standard boards

Laptops just work better being custom 

we've been over this... Laptops have gotten so small and so compact that making the parts more modular and standardized would only make them bulkier and more complicated. In normal desktop computers you have a ton of space to work with, to place cables, drives, coolers, etc. In a laptop, they squeeze out every square millimeter of space possible to fit as much stuff in there as possible.

Not to mention the cost of manufacturing would be higher.

This is what your laptop would look like:post-77647-0-53792900-1449757813.jpg

Now, I'm a tinkerer. Part of me wants to build that laptop, but the rational, practical 4/5ths of me is saying "NO. NOOOO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

we've been over this... Laptops have gotten so small and so compact that making the parts more modular and standardized would only make them bulkier and more complicated. In normal desktop computers you have a ton of space to work with, to place cables, drives, coolers, etc. In a laptop, they squeeze out every square millimeter of space possible to fit as much stuff in there as possible.

Not to mention the cost of manufacturing would be higher.

This is what your laptop would look like:

Now, I'm a tinkerer. Part of me wants to build that laptop, but the rational, practical 4/5ths of me is saying "NO. NOOOO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

But that just looks like a regular prototype (and a nice one at that). And by standardization I don't mean 1 type of mobo etc. PC's have a dozen are so options why can't we implement the same process with laptops. 

All the laptops I see now look the same (besides those crazy alien-ing looking gaming ones) besides the screen size. How many possible options can there be?

After R&D and all the kinks are worked out, the cost should go down...

Not if everyone (or companies think everyone) continues to be obsessed with thinner electronics. And power management & heat management could be a real problem

Got an Android, never going back to apple again (notice I spelled apple with a lowercase and Android with an uppercase)

there has to be a standard first and there arnt any

i really wish if they did

thin over heating laptops are every where im holding on my T530 for dear life

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

there has to be a standard first and there arnt any

i really wish if they did

thin over heating laptops are every where im holding on my T530 for dear life

It looks like the current attitude is they making a portable standard is impossible. But that's why R&D exist. I think if companies invested in looking into it it will work. Yes they might not make much at first to offset research cost but once it was developed and standardized it will sell.

If one company took the lead and started this (and pulls an Apple and patents EVERYTHING) they will be making bank. If only I had the resources and connections :'(

edit: I just remembered! Google's project phone is a perfect example. People probably didn't imagine a modular custom phone becoming a thing and it's already in development.