Skyrim Performance Issues (a bit of a long story)

Ddave
Build:

-i5-4590

-8Gb HyperX Fury (2x4Gb)

-Sapphire R9 390

-Old Seagate Barracuda 250Gb HDD

So I am encountering this "weird" issue with skyrim. When I first downloaded it two days ago, I was running some smooth 60 fps. Then I decided to mod it. There was quite a lot of mods and I can't list them all since I uninstalled 'em, but I used real vision enb and most of the recommended mods on the page, a few follower mods, ai mods, and Perkus Maximus.

There was a drop to around 30-40 fps. I decided to remove the grass/flora mods to improve performance. But since I used NMM, uninstalling will be a pain. I decided to just reinstall everything.  Since I backed up skyrim when I downloaded it, I just uninstalled it, deleted all files in steam and documents folders, and restored it from backup. Since then I was noticing that it can't run stable 60 FPS, and the drop was pretty annoying.

Here's the most "intriguing" one. I uninstalled skyrim, mod organizer, loot, tes5edit, everything. Then restored from backup. I was having a pretty stable 60fps again, with a few stutters during autosaves. I enabled all map markers in the console, then went to the farms outside whiterun. 50-60fps. Using Mod organizer, I installed Pure waters. And Voila, I'm getting around 23-30 fps. So I disabled Pure waters, and the performance did not change. I deleted the mod. Improved up to 40 fps. I went to the guardian stones, to see if the fps outside the cave from Helgen is better. But damn I'm getting less than 25fps.

It's so frustrating. Should I just do a clean install of windows ? Is it related to the HDD ? Somebody please help. T_T

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Not exactly sure what the issue is, but you might potentially have some messed up ini files.  Stuff like certain foliage settings and ugrids could potentially be messed up.  You can try deleting them (back them up first) and letting the game generate fresh ones when you run it.

If you still have ENB installed make sure your enblocal.ini is set up with the correct VideoMemroySizeMb value. In your case you'd be using the maximum value of 10240 I believe.  You can also increase ReservedMemorySize in the same file to 768.  When I was doing my new setup I forgot to adjust those settings and the default values throttled my performance to around 40fps ordinarily and destroyed them in combat, dropping to around 5-10fps.  This was with TrueVision and Seasons of Skyrim which are fairly lightweight on the ENB performance spectrum.

Edit: As to why Pure Waters is 'causing' these problems I have no idea.  I'm using Pure Waters (with Waterfalls), Verdant, Flora Overhaul. aMidianborn Book of Silence, Hi-Res DLC Optimized, Vivid Clouds and Fogs, ELFX, SMIM, JK's Skyrim and some other stuff I can't remember along with TrueVision ENB and the only real drops I get are in the JK's cities.  Which leads me to assume there's likely some messed up settings somewhere causing more stuff to be loaded, etc. as your system should perform roughly the same if not slightly better than mine.

Additionally you can try verifying the integrity of the game files through Steam and checking whether you have the HD Textures DLC installed.  If you do you could try downloaded the Hi-Res DLC Optimized pack or following one of the guides online to optimise them yourself... I doubt that this is the issue though.

Also have you checked to see how your card is performing in game when you have these issues? - check to see if it's running at the correct clock speeds and not thermal throttling/some other form of throttling.  I probably should have asked this question first...

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

-snip-

Here's my data files and my skyrim performance monitor results:

post-255580-0-34745300-1449670262_thumb.

post-255580-0-86157400-1449670251.png

Here's some screenshots I took with the skyrim performance monitor running. (Note: Chrome and VLC are also running.): http://steamcommunity.com/id/neon_genius/screenshots

I'm actually considering reinstalling windows and re-downloading the game, though that would be a pain, and it will take a day or two before I see the results.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

I haven't used performance monitor for a long time so I'm not entirely sure what I'm seeing here.

However that average fps and utilisation looks awfully low though so I think there might be something preventing your system from using your GPU to its full potential properly.

That 90~% GPU usage and 27fps screenshot makes no sense, that's like bad laptop level performance...

Does your GPU work correctly in other games?

You might want to try a clean install of your graphics drivers and if that doesn't fix it maybe try reseating the GPU.

Long shot but you don't happen to be running VSR at 4k by accident?

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

I haven't used performance monitor for a long time so I'm not entirely sure what I'm seeing here.

However that average fps and utilisation looks awfully low though so I think there might be something preventing your system from using your GPU to its full potential properly.

That 90~% GPU usage and 27fps screenshot makes no sense, that's like bad laptop level performance...

Does your GPU work correctly in other games?

You might want to try a clean install of your graphics drivers and if that doesn't fix it maybe try reseating the GPU.

Long shot but you don't happen to be running VSR at 4k by accident?

I installed fraps, and tried playing Far Cry 3 Ultra Settings (This is the only "demanding" game I have at the moment). My FPS was over a hundred, and dropped to 69 when facing some burning grass and houses (?). I also felt my GPU heat up, I think it went up to 63c. 

Also, just for you to know, I'm only playing at 1366x768.

I am who I am.

-snip again-

All right. I checked the GPU. It is placed firmly. All cables are seated just fine.

I loaded the game, set it to low. Went to Helgen. It got 60 fps, even going to 62(if it even matters). Then I walked out the gates and encountered a thief. Fought him. During the fight I'm getting 48 fps, using fire spells and a sword. I went to the guardian stones. Steady 45-48 fps. Went to the Meadery outside of whiterun. It can't even get a stable 45fps.

I give up.
I'll be reinstalling windows and drivers tomorrow. I will be re-downloading the game (This will take about two days - around 14-16 hours total).
Hopefully this takes care of everything.

I am who I am.

Last check, do you have any body modification mods?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Last check, do you have any body modification mods?

I think I installed it before. Detailed bodies, detailed faces, detailed lips, no more blocky faces.

There are no mods installed currently.

I am who I am.

Hmm well I'm at a loss, sorry I wasn't that much help.  Hopefully the reinstall will fix things.  Sometimes it's just necessary, I had a driver issue where my clock speed would get stuck at 1177 after playing certain games and only wiping my C drive and doing a clean install of the OS and drivers managed to fix it.

Previous Build

I think I installed it before. Detailed bodies, detailed faces, detailed lips, no more blocky faces.

There are no mods installed currently.

Any HDT stuff?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Any HDT stuff?

HDT ?

Edit again: Nope. Dont have those.

I am who I am.

@Ddave

What race are you playing? Are you playing any custom races or have custom standalone followers? Do you have any skeletons installed such as xmp?

Also when you finish downloading the game make a backup copy if it somewhere so you dont have to dl again :P

Desktop: ARX-Laevatein : soon to be ARX-8 http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/8RyhHx

Custom Aurora R4 ALX case + Caselabs Merlin Pedestal | i7- 4820k @ 4.8 Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Gene Mobo | 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum | EVGA/Gigabyte 12GB Titan X SLI | 128GB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 2x WD RED 3TB| EVGA 1200 P2 PSU | Win 10 | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Corsair M95 | Asus ROG Swift PG278Q | Sennheiser G4ME ZERO White

Laptop: M17x R4 Stealth Black :

i7-3940xm | 32 Gb G.Skill Ripjaws | 8Gb GTX 880m | Killer Wireless N-1103 | 500Gb Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD 5400rpm + 32Gb Msata SSD Cache | 1920 x 1080 120Hz 3D screen | DVDRWBD | Sound Blaster recon 3Di | M18x 330w PSU | Win 7 Ultimate | Zalman ZM-NC11 Black | Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB | Razer Mamba 2012 | Sennheiser PC 363D 7.1 Headset

@Ddave

What race are you playing? Are you playing any custom races or have custom standalone followers? Do you have any skeletons installed such as xmp?

Also when you finish downloading the game make a backup copy if it somewhere so you dont have to dl again :P

I am playing a nord, default everything.

Only animation I remember was realistic ragdolls and force, also installed sofia.

I actually was restoring the backup.

I did not really test the game thoroughly before modding, so it's possible that there was a problem from the start.

There might be a problem with the drivers since I just snapped in the new GPU and additional RAM and installed Crimson. (I just thought of this.)

I am who I am.