Server build questions

NE0XY

Hi,

So I'm planning to build a small server for home usage, I will use the server to download/upload files between my apartment, my parents house and school. I always loose my USB drives etc =P

Since I'm very new to server software and how all that works, is this easy to do? With software to allow me to login in and download a file from my apartment when I'm at school etc?

If so: what would be an appropriate processor and motherboard? 

Thank you

You'll need a FTP Server. For windows you can use IIS or Filezilla. For linux you can use vsftpd

Thank you, is there any file size limitations/restrictions for filezilla? If I wanted to move a movie or something

As the guy above said, the most hassle free way would be setting up an ftp server. Of course keep in mind that for any such use you would need to have a static IP. Another thing would be, if you have a specific set of computers from which you want to have access to your server, just add those computers into a network with software like hamachi and use shared folders. If done right, it's the easiest thing to do.

As far as hardware goes, I could recommend server specific parts, but for your usage I don't think you really need them or worth the money. Just make sure it has proper storage solutions (reliability, performance, etc), a decent cpu and enough ram. Anything mid-grade would do fine, really. If you want more specific suggestions let us know more about the kind of usage/stress you would be putting on the machine.

Edit: No, there are no file size limitations for Filezilla. The program itself is just an ftp manager, the file transferring speed will be up to your connection and the sizes will be up to your storage.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

As the guy above said, the most hassle free way would be setting up an ftp server. Of course keep in mind that for any such use you would need to have a static IP. Another thing would be, if you have a specific set of computers from which you want to have access to your server, just add those computers into a network with software like hamachi and use shared folders. If done right, it's the easiest thing to do.

As far as hardware goes, I could recommend server specific parts, but for your usage I don't think you really need them or worth the money. Just make sure it has proper storage solutions (reliability, performance, etc), a decent cpu and enough ram. Anything mid-grade would do fine, really. If you want more specific suggestions let us know more about the kind of usage/stress you would be putting on the machine.

Edit: No, there are no file size limitations for Filezilla. The program itself is just an ftp manager, the file transferring speed will be up to your connection and the sizes will be up to your storage.

Thank you,

I'm not sure that will only have a specific set of computers. 

Was thinking like an i3 cpu, 8/16GB ram,  mitx or matx board with a bunch of WD red hard-drives and keep it on 24/7? Normal Windows or Windows server? I'm guessing normal windows since I'm just using filezilla? 

I'm unsure about how to setup a static IP but it's not that hard right?

Thank you,

I'm not sure that will only have a specific set of computers. 

Was thinking like an i3 cpu, 8/16GB ram,  mitx or matx board with a bunch of WD red hard-drives and keep it on 24/7? Normal Windows or Windows server? I'm guessing normal windows since I'm just using filezilla? 

I'm unsure about how to setup a static IP but it's not that hard right?

That looks pretty solid. And yes, no real need for Windows server if you're just going to set up an ftp server to be accessed with Filezilla.

About the static IP, unfortunately this isn't something you can set up on your own, it is on your ISP's end. Some ISPs might give it for free, others charge for it. With the hamachi solution you could get away from needing a static IP, since you manually add each terminal in a group that each has to log in an account.

~ Specs bellow ~

CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

That looks pretty solid. And yes, no real need for Windows server if you're just going to set up an ftp server to be accessed with Filezilla.

About the static IP, unfortunately this isn't something you can set up on your own, it is on your ISP's end. Some ISPs might give it for free, others charge for it. With the hamachi solution you could get away from needing a static IP, since you manually add each terminal in a group that each has to log in an account.

I see, so I will basically need to get the same hardware either way, then depending on how it works out with the ISP providing static IP etc I'll either do that or try the hamachi thing you suggested.

Thank you so much for your help =) 

I see, so I will basically need to get the same hardware either way, then depending on how it works out with the ISP providing static IP etc I'll either do that or try the hamachi thing you suggested.

Pretty much, yeah. I could be forgetting of other solutions, but I think these are the most common ones. You could wait for others to chime in and post their opinions :)

No problem at all, I love to help when I can.

~ Specs bellow ~

Pretty much, yeah. I could be forgetting of other solutions, but I think these are the most common ones. You could wait for others to chime in and post their opinions :)

No problem at all, I love to help when I can.

Is there a particular i3 model you would recommend? I'm sceptical towards the newer ones, DDR4 adds so much to the cost =P 

Is there a particular i3 model you would recommend? I'm sceptical towards the newer ones, DDR4 adds so much to the cost =P 

I'd say don't bother with DDR4 on a server build. Do you need anything specific from X99/Z170?

PS: Hey something I forgot about, you should definitely check out FreeNAS. It's a different take than using Windows, but it's tailored for file servers and you could like it. Has a web interface to log in to and stuff. It requires a fair amount of research to set up though.

PS2: You could also look into some used Xeon CPU + supermicro MOBO combos, some hidden gems around on the internet.

~ Specs bellow ~

I'd say don't bother with DDR4 on a server build. Do you need anything specific from X99/Z170?

PS: Hey something I forgot about, you should definitely check out FreeNAS. It's a different take than using Windows, but it's tailored for file servers and you could like it. Has a web interface to log in to and stuff. It requires a fair amount of research to set up though.

PS2: You could also look into some used Xeon CPU + supermicro MOBO combos, some hidden gems around on the internet.

yes precisely, I don't think so, guess not.

The simpler the better ;)

Aren't Xeon pretty expensive? Don't get me wrong, I don't wanna skimp out, but at the same time I don't wanna go overkill

Are you going to run a server OS or stick with Desktop OS ?

Server 2012 R2 provides remote web access to your server / flies and also the connector tool for always connected VPN to server from anywhere over HTTPS.

We figured that since I'll probably set it up as an FTP server and use filezilla or "hamachi" (or something) that a normal windows os will suffice. but I'm open to suggestions, whatever works the easiest =P 

Xeons are expensive, but notice how I said "used" :) You can buy serious processing power pretty cheap and since you won't be gaming on that rig I think you could benefit from said chips. Xeon chips also run a bit cooler and drain less power, attractive values for a machine running 24/7. You could also pair two of them together, etc. You could completely disregard this and go for the i3. All will work out just fine.

You should read a little on the OS, for example I certainly did not know that server 2012 provided web access. Thanks @mluton for the input. FreeNAS also has such functionality and is free (it is FreeBSD based)  and there's also several Linux distros that would do well. You could even look into setting up a XAMPP server on Windows. Or just simply go for ftp or hamachi. There are several options, find which suits you best.

~ Specs bellow ~

Server 2012 R2 provides remote web access to your server / flies and also the connector tool for always connected VPN to server from anywhere over HTTPS.

Xeons are expensive, but notice how I said "used" :) You can buy serious processing power pretty cheap and since you won't be gaming on that rig I think you could benefit from said chips. Xeon chips also run a bit cooler and drain less power, attractive values for a machine running 24/7. You could also pair two of them together, etc. You could completely disregard this and go for the i3. All will work out just fine.

You should read a little on the OS, for example I certainly did not know that server 2012 provided web access. Thanks @mluton for the input. FreeNAS also has such functionality and is free (it is FreeBSD based)  and there's also several Linux distros that would do well. You could even look into setting up a XAMPP server on Windows. Or just simply go for ftp or hamachi. There are several options, find which suits you best.

I see, thank you for your help =)

I'll look around to see if I can find a used Xeon with mobo. 

I probably won't use a raid card yet since I'll start of with 4 or 6 drives in raid 10 (or?) 2+2+2. 

The specs for the mobo I checked out: Asus Z97M-Plus it has 6 Sata 6Gbit/s ports so I should be fine without a controller card 

Just use a DDNS Service or Server 2012 R2 Essentials has one built in for remote web access. You get a .remotewebaccess.com domain with free 5 Year SSL Certificate from microsoft.

Himatchi is good but disconnects on closing an RDP Connection.

Just use a DDNS Service or Server 2012 R2 Essentials has one built in for remote web access. You get a .remotewebaccess.com domain with free 5 Year SSL Certificate from microsoft.

Himatchi is good but disconnects on closing an RDP Connection.

Okay I see.

Software comes later =P I first need to find and decide hardware, then when all that is done I can decide which software depending on which is easiest for me =P

But an i3 should work fine with what you suggested? 

Okay I see.

Software comes later =P I first need to find and decide hardware, then when all that is done I can decide which software depending on which is easiest for me =P

But an i3 should work fine with what you suggested? 

I use:

Intel Xeon E3 (i3 equivalent)

8GB RAM

640GB HDD non raid for Client Machine Backups

2TB HDD non raid for Media

500GB HDD in raid 1 with another 500GB HDD for OS

500GB HDD in raid 1 with another 500GB HDD for Data

Running Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.

Does me fine, with the below roles on 24/7.

Plex Server

3CX Phone Server

Yawcam (2 Instances)

File Server

Utorrent Client

NZB Client

Sonaar

Couch Potatoe

DHCP Server

DNS Server

Terminal Server

i would prolly grab a FX 6300 + Gigabyte GA 970A UD3P, as that is a durable board.

get some DDR3 RAM, as it is cheap. and the cheapest GPU you can find....

FX is originally based in AMDs server chips, so they perform very well in those kind of tasks.

if the server software you are going to use, cannot use 6 cores/threads, then a i3 41xx is the best option.