Netflix on PS4 causes lag on everything else in the house, but not the other consoles

Anarchyz11

No idea where to put this, but when my girlfriend streams Netflix on her PS4 everything else in the house's internet basically goes to shit.  Rocket League at a solid 300 ping.  CS:GO spiking to 800 ping.  It's ridiculous.

The anomaly here is that if she streams Netflix from the Wii U, Xbox One, or her PC, it doesn't hurt everything else's connection at all. 

Unfortunately she refuses to use these consoles for Netflix, only the one that fucks everything else in the house is acceptable to her. 

Is there any known reason for this?  Is it just a simple bandwidth issue?  We should have enough bandwidth to reasonably stream in one place and do other stuff elsewhere, it's never been a problem before.  But when the PS4's Netflix is doing it, everything sorta goes to hell and I'd like to find some solution other than trying to break her of one console in favor of another (which is harder than you'd think).  Or at the very least solve this mystery. 

Anyone got any ideas?

use Ethernet. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Go to ethernet if its on wireless, or restrict the PS4's bandwidth through the router so it buffers all the time and maybe she will start using something else.

It sounds like a bandwidth issue. Sounds to me like a bug. Use Ethernet if you haven't already, limit the bandwidth on the router to the PS4 to something like 20 megs down or whatever is little enough to keep her from noticing.

BTW your GF is rather inconsiderate, considering that she has other options and refuses to compromise to make both of you happy. But hey, that's none of my business.

Sounds like a poor router.  Many can't properly manage or prioritize traffic properly, even the ones that supposedly let you set priority devices, so when that's using it, everything else suffers.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

It sounds like a bandwidth issue. Sounds to me like a bug. Use Ethernet if you haven't already, limit the bandwidth on the router to the PS4 to something like 20 megs down or whatever is little enough to keep her from noticing.

BTW your GF is rather inconsiderate, considering that she has other options and refuses to compromise to make both of you happy. But hey, that's none of my business.

In all situations, all "systems" are wired.  So it's still strange that the PS4 would magically hog up so much more bandwidth than the others.  That's the issue I'm wondering about here.

As for her, yeah I know.  It isn't so much an issue of her refusing, it's more if she notices I'm not playing anything at the time, she'll assume it's OK to go ahead and use the PS4, or not realize I'm doing something.  But then if i play something I have to shoo her off and onto a different system, which really just gets tedious as hell and is where we're at now with this.  So I guess I painted that in a different light than it is.  If I'm playing something, or ask, she'll use the Wii U.  But yeah, why have to ask 3 times a day, just use the damn thing that makes everyone happy. 

In all situations, all "systems" are wired.  So it's still strange that the PS4 would magically hog up so much more bandwidth than the others.  That's the issue I'm wondering about here.

As for her, yeah I know.  It isn't so much an issue of her refusing, it's more if she notices I'm not playing anything at the time, she'll assume it's OK to go ahead and use the PS4, or not realize I'm doing something.  But then if i play something I have to shoo her off and onto a different system, which really just gets tedious as hell and is where we're at now with this.  So I guess I painted that in a different light than it is.  If I'm playing something, or ask, she'll use the Wii U.  But yeah, why have to ask 3 times a day, just use the damn thing that makes everyone happy. 

Have you tried switching around which port on the router the PS4 is using? Plug it into one of the ports the other consoles are using and see if the problem still occurs. Like others said it may just be the router being crappy

Have you tried switching around which port on the router the PS4 is using? Plug it into one of the ports the other consoles are using and see if the problem still occurs. Like others said it may just be the router being crappy

Good thought, I'll try this.  I already changed around bandwidth priorities on the port, so I'll see if that works first.