Need help choosing a new router

VinsinityKT

I'm looking for a router that will support 5 people. My internet is gigabit so I don't believe that will be a limiting factor into this. Looking for something to accommodate like maybe 20 different devices and multiple people gaming or streaming netflix at once. I was looking at the netgear nighthawk x6 once.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Asus AC68*

I'm looking for a router that will support 5 people. My internet is gigabit so I don't believe that will be a limiting factor into this. Looking for something to accommodate like maybe 20 different devices and multiple people gaming or streaming netflix at once. I was looking at the netgear nighthawk x6 once.

so your budget isn't to small then?

so your budget isn't to small then?

Not really maybe 350 dollars or less. I'm not going all out for the new ASUS RT-AC5300 though. 

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Not really maybe 350 dollars or less. I'm not going all out for the new ASUS RT-AC5300 though. 

When you get between 150 and 300 dollars, they are very good. Plenty of options at that price. You don't have to spend $350.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398080,00.asp There is a list of what PC mag says are the best ones. Anything on there should be enough. If you want a really exceptional router, any of the ones that says "AC3200". The one netgear (nighthawk), two linksys, 1 D-Link one, and that 1 Asus one. Out of those, I would just buy the cheaper one of those. So, I guess the Linksys EA9200 is the cheaper one out of those AC3200. A AC1900 one should be plenty enough to drive what you need but if you are going to spend over 200, that EA9200 seems to be a good one for the price or any of the other AC3200.

I have the Asus AC87u it is really good, fast and stable :)

Please don't buy a TP-Link I have nightmares from them...

This will perform better than any consumer grade router: https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

This will perform as good as any consumer grade wireless: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

The combined price should be under your budget.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Ignore this if you want/need wireless, but for that price you could get a pfSense firewall/router and a decent gigabit switch...

ESXi SysAdmin

I have more cores/threads than you...and I use them all

How so?

I have a TP-Link wdr4900 which is the most unstable router i've ever seen... I had the latest firmware and I contacted the customer support which is also terrible... Long story short everything they said I had to do didn't work and they wouldn't give my money back so yeah...

But a lot of routers from them are unstable... (I don't know if that's still true for the Archer series)

I just hate them and I'm not going to recommend or buy anything from them ever again...

Ignore this if you want/need wireless, but for that price you could get a pfSense firewall/router and a decent gigabit switch...

I think he wants wireless and I think a lot of people including me don't want to setup their own router :) (a consumer grade router is a lot easier)

I think he wants wireless and I think a lot of people including me don't want to setup their own router :) (a consumer grade router is a lot easier)

Cool beans. *fades quietly to the background*

ESXi SysAdmin

Cool beans. *fades quietly to the background*

This sounds stupid... But I have no idea what you mean/are referring to...

This sounds stupid... But I have no idea what you mean/are referring to...

as in: "oh ok, if you need wireless, my idea doesn't work here, so I'll just exit the conversation because I don't really need to be part of it anymore"

ESXi SysAdmin

as in: "oh ok, if you need wireless, my idea doesn't work here, so I'll just exit the conversation because I don't really need to be part of it anymore"

Ok lol English isn't my native language and I'm from Belgium I think that's the problem :)

Ok lol English isn't my native language and I'm from Belgium I think that's the problem :)

no worries :) "Cool beans" is a 'slang' term. It can be used like "I understand" or "great, I like that"

and generally things in asterisks (*...*) are sort of "stage directions" or narrations to help readers understand physical actions that may or may not be happening (most often used as hyperbole to increase humor or sarcasm)

see the UrbanDictionary entry.

ESXi SysAdmin

I have a TP-Link wdr4900 which is the most unstable router i've ever seen... I had the latest firmware and I contacted the customer support which is also terrible... Long story short everything they said I had to do didn't work and they wouldn't give my money back so yeah...

But a lot of routers from them are unstable... (I don't know if that's still true for the Archer series)

I just hate them and I'm not going to recommend or buy anything from them ever again...

You seem t have just had a bad experience since most people, myself included, haven't had any problems with their products or support. Their products have been solid for a number of years.

You seem t have just had a bad experience since most people, myself included, haven't had any problems with their products or support. Their products have been solid for a number of years.

Probably it's now running DD-WRT don't know if that will work in the long term.

Also my main problem with them is that they released 2 firmware updates... 2?! My Asus has I don't know how many but it works...

I don't think I'll buy anything from them again but I'll see maybe they release some awesome router in the future that has really good reviews.

Probably it's now running DD-WRT don't know if that will work in the long term.

Also my main problem with them is that they released 2 firmware updates... 2?! My Asus has I don't know how many but it works...

I don't think I'll buy anything from them again but I'll see maybe they release some awesome router in the future that has really good reviews.

They actually collaborated with google to make the On Hub so that should count for something.

They actually collaborated with google to make the On Hub so that should count for something.

Yeah that's true.

While I'd agree that PFsense is way too much for this setup I'd still suggest going with something less "consumer grade". Ubiquiti's Edge Router can be setup with just a standard wizard. It doesn't have wireless built in but not having it built in gives you more options for wireless. It's better to run these things separately especially if you want higher performance. Hell, for all we know @VinsinityKT could have a perfectly reasonable router and is only after an upgrade to wireless performance. Maybe they already have some of the gear, maybe they're only asking to replace the entire setup because they don't know any better.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

While I'd agree that PFsense is way too much for this setup I'd still suggest going with something less "consumer grade". Ubiquiti's Edge Router can be setup with just a standard wizard. It doesn't have wireless built in but not having it built in gives you more options for wireless. It's better to run these things separately especially if you want higher performance. Hell, for all we know @VinsinityKT could have a perfectly reasonable router and is only after an upgrade to wireless performance. Maybe they already have some of the gear, maybe they're only asking to replace the entire setup because they don't know any better.

If it's as easy as the Ubiquiti USG I agree :)

VERY well said. 

ESXi SysAdmin