Acer H236HL - Good for gaming?

maxvons

I'm looking for a new monitor for mainly gaming and all other computer usage, movies etc. But I kinda want an IPS-panel because of the colors, as I do some photo and video editing too. So I found this Acer monitor which looked quite nice, but is it good for serious gaming? Not like e-sports, but dota 2 and bf3 etc. 

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/UM.VH6AA.003

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

That cheapo IPS? Yeah it's fine for gaming, especially games with lots of shadows.

I like the little magnet in the stand. The screen cleans up well too when it gets dusty. External PSU so it is pretty thin, which is always nice.

I have 3 in surround and it's pretty beast!

I have used a benq xl2420t so I can compare to that.

The monitor can be OC'ed to 75HZ with no ghosting the colour and picture quality is amazing for the price and also the the tiny bezels look amazing....

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

That cheapo IPS? Yeah it's fine for gaming, especially games with lots of shadows.

I like the little magnet in the stand. The screen cleans up well too when it gets dusty. External PSU so it is pretty thin, which is always nice.

Not everyone has so much money to blow on a monitor, and monitors cost 2x the price here in Norway :P, but thanks anyway

Case: Fractal Design R4  Motherboard: Asus Z87-Plus  Processor: Intel i7 4770K  GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X  RAM: Corsair Vengenace Pro 16GB  PSU: Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 750W  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB   Monitor(s): LG 24GM77  Keyboard: Logitech G410  Mouse: Zowie EC1-A  Mousepad: Puretrak Talent White Ed.  Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud II

The monitor can be OC'ed to 75HZ with no ghosting the colour and picture quality is amazing for the price and also the the tiny bezels look amazing....

Do you think the monitor would be as smooth as a Benq Gl2450HM (which I currently own) in games?

I didn't mean cheapo in a bad way, I meant very affordable. I truly know why there are $500 monitors now. The Acer is not perfect image wise to my untrained eyes. 

Great for the price.

I didn't mean cheapo in a bad way, I meant very affordable. I truly know why there are $500 monitors now. The Acer is not perfect image wise to my untrained eyes. 

Great for the price.

I could blow 1000 dollars on a monitor if I wanted, but it really isn't worth it for my intended usage.

Great for the price.

Well it's much better then the TN panel of the BenQ..

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

Do you think the monitor would be as smooth as a Benq Gl2450HM (which I currently own) in games?

It will most likely be around the same and slightly smoother if you run the Acer with a higher refresh rate.

It will most likely be around the same and slightly smoother if you run the Acer with a higher refresh rate.

How do I "overlclock" the refresh rate then?

How do I "overlclock" the refresh rate then?

http://www.monitortests.com/cru-1.0.1.zip

Go to this address download the utility and if you click 'edit' you can set a custom refresh rate :)

http://www.monitortests.com/cru-1.0.1.zip

Go to this address download the utility and if you click 'edit' you can set a custom refresh rate :)

Thanks, mate! I think I might purchase this monitor, I kinda like my glossy iMac screen, so I guess this will be nice too :)

I've posted a few video's on my channel with these monitors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4o8RKx75vA

I like them - I used to be on Dell's and I would notice the bezels on them (wouldn't ruin it for me, but I did notice them). I hardly notice them on these. for the price, I'm very happy. I wish they used VESA mounts so I could get one of those fancy triple monitor stands - but then I realize that those stands aren't cheap

I've posted a few video's on my channel with these monitors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4o8RKx75vA

I like them - I used to be on Dell's and I would notice the bezels on them (wouldn't ruin it for me, but I did notice them). I hardly notice them on these. for the price, I'm very happy. I wish they used VESA mounts so I could get one of those fancy triple monitor stands - but then I realize that those stands aren't cheap

how glossy are they? are the reflections bad? annoying?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

how glossy are they? are the reflections bad? annoying?

you can sometimes see myself in the video - as far as actual use, the only times I notice the reflection is when screens go full black (in other words, it's never noticeable while actually playing)

you can sometimes see myself in the video - as far as actual use, the only times I notice the reflection is when screens go full black (in other words, it's never noticeable while actually playing)

so the only time you get reflection is when it's off basically?

Intel i5 3570K || Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FE || 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600MHz || ASRock Z77 Pro 3 || WD Caviar Blue 1TB || Noctua NH-U12S || Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card || Fractal Define R4 || Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 Wireless Network Card

ASUS VC239H Monitor || Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red || Logitech G Pro || Philips SHP9500 w/ V-MODA BoomPro Mic || Reflex Lab Pro 36 Heavy Mouse Pad || Google Nexus 6P 128GB

what about a room with a lot of lights? will the reflections be bad even when its not in a black screen or no?

Hows the reflections when lights are on near it? Like if the room isn't dark

Hows the reflections when lights are on near it? Like if the room isn't dark

Basically the only time you notice it is when the monitor is off or goes dark, for example a cut scene in a game....

Basically the only time you notice it is when the monitor is off or goes dark, for example a cut scene in a game....

this is true even if you have lights on?

what about a room with a lot of lights? will the reflections be bad even when its not in a black screen or no?

doesn't matter - the reflections just aren't noticeable after the black load screen

and it makes the fit/finish look awesome =)