is windows 10 stable now? (and good for gaming)

404-USER-NOT-FOUND-ERROR
Go to solution Solved by Samsterstorm,

@NickLiam123

It is OK now! I was very skeptical and I have been running it on a spare laptop since TP but I really wasn't happy with it! I stuck with 8.1 for a while and although 8.1 still felt a little faster to me (and still does) every-time they update W10 it does get faster and faster and I can see it overtaking 8.1 pretty soon TBH!!! Drivers wise I have not run into any issues at all and if you do then run them in W7 or W8 compatibility mode and most of the time u are golden! 

You will have to do it sometimes and why not now? You will have to join the wagon sooner or later so just hop in now while it close to you (and free) instead of running to catch up with the wagon you will eventually be forced to join, which we will all be on! Just go for it I did it and I was more than a large bit skeptical!#

Good Luck! 

P.S - Remember there is nothing wrong with making restore points at good times and backing up sensitive data regularly! 

I will clean install 10 after my PC crashed

I know that the no-mods restriction now only applies to windows store

but are drivers still a problem?

anything other I need to know?

EDIT: build in my signature

Im using Windows 10 for a bit more than year. And it always was stable except one update, but it was fixed in day or two.

all clear

thanks, going to install now

Well, it did basically brick my dad's work laptop after the upgrade...

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

Well, it did basically brick my dad's work laptop after the upgrade...

thanks for the info, but I have nothing to loose since my PC crashed, so I can just reformat C

thanks for the info, but I have nothing to loose since my PC crashed, so I can just reformat C

Mmk, good luck to you.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

@NickLiam123

It is OK now! I was very skeptical and I have been running it on a spare laptop since TP but I really wasn't happy with it! I stuck with 8.1 for a while and although 8.1 still felt a little faster to me (and still does) every-time they update W10 it does get faster and faster and I can see it overtaking 8.1 pretty soon TBH!!! Drivers wise I have not run into any issues at all and if you do then run them in W7 or W8 compatibility mode and most of the time u are golden! 

You will have to do it sometimes and why not now? You will have to join the wagon sooner or later so just hop in now while it close to you (and free) instead of running to catch up with the wagon you will eventually be forced to join, which we will all be on! Just go for it I did it and I was more than a large bit skeptical!#

Good Luck! 

P.S - Remember there is nothing wrong with making restore points at good times and backing up sensitive data regularly! 

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

@NickLiam123

Good Luck! 

Thank you for your detailed response, it really helped me, good point about upgrading

Windows 10 has been periodically resetting customized file associations for some people, myself included. I also had an incident a couple of days ago with Windows 10 BSOD while trying to install an audio driver, and when my PC had reset, Windows 10 had for whatever reason removed network adapter protocols, so I had no internet. Some mucking about with it over several resets, and Windows 10 was suddenly able to find the problem and fix it using network automatic troubleshooting - even though for the last half-dozen times the same automatic troubleshooting found the problem but was unable to fix it.

Also, see my post here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/499253-should-i-upgrade-to-win-10/#entry6671439

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Windows 10 has been periodically resetting customized file associations for some people, myself included. I also had an incident a couple of days ago with Windows 10 BSOD while trying to install an audio driver, and when my PC had reset, Windows 10 had for whatever reason removed network adapter protocols, so I had no internet. Some mucking about with it over several resets, and Windows 10 was suddenly able to find the problem and fix it using network automatic troubleshooting - even though for the last half-dozen times the same automatic troubleshooting found the problem but was unable to fix it.

Also, see my post here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/499253-should-i-upgrade-to-win-10/#entry6671439

thanks, so I need to know I might experience, I know windows 10 has 30-day time to downgrade to 8, so I will give it ago, also what seamster storm said about all needing to upgrade once is true

Thank you for your detailed response, it really helped me, good point about upgrading

No worries!!! Always happy to help! And a note on performance in games, I haven't noticed FPS increase / decrease since the upgrade! (System specs in signature!)

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

After the update from a clean install of Windows 7 I had some bluescreen issues at the beginning. The solution was to go through the whole device manager and do an automatic search for updates for each driver which I haven't already installed manually. That did the trick and the system is completely stable since then. Also after a few Bios changes I had to disable "fast startup" under Windows 10, otherwise it would only boot every other time but that also gave me the opportunity to delete the hypernation file which gave me about 6GB of free space on my SSD, so that's good.Those were my only stumbling blocks in the beginning, so if you stumble over those as well, you know what to do.

Game performance wise it's a real improvement over Windows 7. I had a few games which had framerate issues under Windows 7 like with State of Decay where the framerate was somehow capped at 50Fps - also people report on heaving framedrops in a few games like Wasteland 2 DC under Win7. Those issues were all solved with Windows 10. Interestingly even old games like Jedi Knight 1 run better under Win10 - it obviously ran over 60 FPS before but it had microstuttering under Win7 - not so with Windows 10, so that's kind of amazing.

I have one problem left however and that has to do with current NVidia drivers which appearently break multi monitor support under Windows 10 (multiple people already reported this). I can't enable any other monitor via the NVidia control panel but it works via the Windows 10 display settings and I can't switch resolutions/refresh rates as long as more than one monitor is activated. If this gets solved I'll be really happy with Windows 10 but this issue is a real bummer, obviously.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

After the update from a clean install of Windows 7 I had some bluescreen issues at the beginning. The solution was to go through the whole device manager and do an automatic search for updates for each driver which I haven't already installed manually. That did the trick and the system is completely stable since then. Also after a few Bios changes I had to disable "fast startup" under Windows 10, otherwise it would only boot every other time but that also gave me the opportunity to delete the hypernation file which gave me about 6GB of free space on my SSD, so that's good.Those were my only stumbling blocks in the beginning, so if you stumble over those as well, you know what to do.

Game performance wise it's a real improvement over Windows 7. I had a few games which had framerate issues under Windows 7 like with State of Decay where the framerate was somehow capped at 50Fps - also people report on heaving framedrops in a few games like Wasteland 2 DC under Win7. Those issues were all solved with Windows 10. Interestingly even old games like Jedi Knight 1 run better under Win10 - it obviously ran over 60 FPS before but it had microstuttering under Win7 - not so with Windows 10, so that's kind of amazing.

I have one problem left however and that has to do with current NVidia drivers which appearently break multi monitor support under Windows 10 (multiple people already reported this). I can't enable any other monitor via the NVidia control panel but it works via the Windows 10 display settings and I can't switch resolutions/refresh rates as long as more than one monitor is activated. If this gets solved I'll be really happy with Windows 10 but this issue is a real bummer, obviously.

thanks

Windows 7 / 8 / 10 comparison benchmarks:

Windows 10 vs. Windows 8.1 vs. Windows 7 Performance - techspot - Aug 10

Windows 7 & 8.1 & 10 - Gaming Performance - Oct 9

Both links conclude that all three OSes are very close to each other in gaming performance, but the first link shows Windows 10 as having a slight edge in FPS, with Windows 7 having the 2nd best average FPS, and Windows 8 coming in third, while the latter link, which is newer, has Windows 10 ranking third in performance for games, with Windows 7 ranking 2nd, and Windows 8 actually being the best performing when it comes to games.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

• 2 weeks later...