Broken pins on PCI-E lane.

Hey everyone. A friend of mine broke the pins on his motherboard for the GPU PCI-E lanes and so he gave me the board and I was planning to turn it into a secondary build (without using a GPU) just for like a media build or something to mess around with.

I was wondering if I could just break off the pins so they wouldn't be exposed and start a fire or something. Any suggestions?

I don't have a picture of the motherboard so this is something I found on google that's similar. 

900x900px-LL-475bc522__IGP6308.jpeg

Intel 2600k @ 4.5 GHz | CoolerMaster 212 Evo | ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe | XFX 7950 Black Ed. Corsair Vengeance RAM (4x4GB)NZXT Phantom 820 | Rosewill 1000w Bronze

ASUS VN248H-P IPS | LG E2742 | Logitech Z623 | Logitech G600 |Steelseries QcK Heavy | Corsair K90 MX Red | Ducky Shine Year of the Goat MX RedErgotech Freedom Arm

Hey everyone. A friend of mine broke the pins on his motherboard for the GPU PCI-E lanes and so he gave me the board and I was planning to turn it into a secondary build (without using a GPU) just for like a media build or something to mess around with.

I was wondering if I could just break off the pins so they wouldn't be exposed and start a fire or something. Any suggestions?

I don't have a picture of the motherboard so this is something I found on google that's similar. 

-PIC-

Well RIP...

You could take a pair of flush cutter and cut off all the pins and basically be left with what you have to work with for the motherboard.

1RXbZwp_700wa_0.gif

I don't see why not, as long as they're not in contact with each other I doubt the motherboard will have issues.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

1RXbZwp_700wa_0.gif

I don't see why not, as long as they're not in contact with each other I doubt the motherboard will have issues.

Yeah, the motherboard was brand new LOL. 

Everything should work fine in theory as long as I don't plug anything into the broken slot.

Intel 2600k @ 4.5 GHz | CoolerMaster 212 Evo | ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe | XFX 7950 Black Ed. Corsair Vengeance RAM (4x4GB)NZXT Phantom 820 | Rosewill 1000w Bronze

ASUS VN248H-P IPS | LG E2742 | Logitech Z623 | Logitech G600 |Steelseries QcK Heavy | Corsair K90 MX Red | Ducky Shine Year of the Goat MX RedErgotech Freedom Arm

But it says the mobo supports SLI, so it has to have PCIE x8 slot so why without the GPU? you can put it in another slot and ignore that one

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

But it says the mobo supports SLI, so it has to have PCIE x8 slot so why without the GPU? you can put it in another slot and ignore that one

Not the same motherboard in the picture. Stole the picture off Google. :P

I haven't picked up the motherboard so I don't know which model it is.

Not the same motherboard in the picture. Stole the picture off Google. :P

I haven't picked up the motherboard so I don't know which model it is.

Oh, okay. Maybe it does have more PCIE slots though?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Oh, okay. Maybe it does have more PCIE slots though?

It's a Z97 board and he paid ~$150 if I remember correctly. I'll check it out but that's a good idea you pitched. Maybe I'll just throw in a cheapo GPU like a 950 or something. 

It's a Z97 board and he paid ~$150 if I remember correctly. I'll check it out but that's a good idea you pitched. Maybe I'll just throw in a cheapo GPU like a 950 or something. 

If it's a Z97 board and he paid that much money for it, I'm almost certain it has more PCIE slots ^^

Any other tips to remove / break off the pins other than flush cutters?

Any other tips to remove / break off the pins other than flush cutters?

Just make sure non of the contacts are bridged together, at that point you can leave them exposed, it wouldn't affect anything.

Just make sure none of the pins are touching each other, I would definitely cut them off though

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | GPU: GTX 1080Ti | Case: Corsair 750D Airflow | Motherboard: ASUS Maximus Formula VI | RAM: 16GB Vengeance Pro | PSU: Corsair AX860

SSD/HDD(s): SAMSUNG 850 EVO 120GB, SAMSUNG PM830 256GB, SEAGATE 6TB | Optical Drive: Sony Optiarc AD-5280S CB-PLUS

Just make sure none of the pins are touching each other, I would definitely cut them off though

Any method you could recommend? :D

Using flush cutters to trim leads is pretty industry standard way of doing it, unless you want to go through the trouble of de-soldering every pin there isn't really a need to do that though.

A hammer.

/s

Flush cutters.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Using flush cutters to trim leads is pretty industry standard way of doing it, unless you want to go through the trouble of de-soldering every pin there isn't really a need to do that though.

Oh, it just seemed ghetto at first. If it's the standard though I'll defenitly do that then. 

Woah, but how did it happen?

From what he told me, he was trying to realign his GPU or something and it all just went to sh--.  :o

UPDATE. The motherboard is a MSI Z170A Gaming M3. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130874

Here's what the pins look like 

12346870_10207918900958001_1759954835_n.

There's another PCI-E lane so should I throw in a 950 or something and turn it in to a media build? :D

-PIC-

Yeah you can toss it into the lower PCI-E slot and it will work no problem after removing those now exposed pins. Oh so painful to see that on a new board. :(

Yeah you can toss it into the lower PCI-E slot and it will work no problem after removing those now exposed pins. Oh so painful to see that on a new board. :(

Yeah I cringed when he sent me the Snapchat of it. *crying laughing emoji* 

At least now hopefully I can put it to use even though it's broken!

Yeah I cringed when he sent me the Snapchat of it. *crying laughing emoji* 

At least now hopefully I can put it to use even though it's broken!

Make sure he unhooks the PCI-E lock next time around so it doesn't happen again.

Make sure he unhooks the PCI-E lock next time around so it doesn't happen again.

Actually that's exactly how it happened, LOL. He didn't realize there was a clip cause it was his first build, haha. I taught him all the in's and out's so it he should be fine now.