Budget Gaming 8 Core System

What a coincidence! I have two E5440's and 32GB FB-DIMM RAM laying around from an old server that I was going to sell. Maybe I should do this...

If I use this for the motherboard (that's the old server, don't know why I threw the motherboard away :() and these coolers, that would be about $75. Add $100 for a decent GPU and build a makeshift case and that's a great computer for only about $200 USD!  :o

I was just going to post about the HP Z800 for this purpose, but sleepy3103 beat me to it.  I'm using one of these now, though not for gaming.  It's a quite capable system for its age...   :)

edit : These are on eBay, with a single processor, for $270 + $49 shipping.  You can find them at different price points with different combos of RAM/CPU/HDD/Video.  I picked mine up a year ago, just mainboard / power supply / chassis, for $380, so now is a good time to buy.

As a side note, these make *excellent* virtualization hosts (I use ESXi 6 on mine), and are pretty darned quiet compared to most rack mount servers.   :)

Nice! Sorry man, lol. I found a couple last night for my youtube commentators that have 2 xeon quad cores, 24GB of memory and a 1TB HDD for around $450. 

- HP Z800 with 2 x Xeon X5672 - 3.2GHz CPUs - 4 core 8 thread each, 48GB of ECC Registered memory, Crucial BX100 250GB SSD, 1TB WD Enterprise HDD, GTX 970 Reference.

- HP EliteBook 8560w with Core i7-2760QM - 2.4 to 3.5GHz - 4 core 8 thread, 32GB DDR3-1333, Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB SSD, 2TB Samsung 2.5 inch HDD, Nvidia Quadro 1000m 2GB

I did a similar build a few months ago. Bought a used Rampage 3 Extreme for 120€ and a Xeon X5560 (2.80GHz Quadcore with HT) which i got for 35€ overclocked it to 3.43GHz (probably could go higher with better cooling) used the rest of my last build

-Evga GTX 780ti SC (which i also got used really cheap ^_^ for 320€ with an EKWB Watercooler installed)

-8GB Crutial Balistix Sport RAM

-250GB Samsung 850EVO SSD

-1TB WD Green HDD

-Creative Soundblaster ZX

-Coolermaster Silent Pro M2 720W PSU

and depending on the game it's about a 20% FPS increase over my FX 8150 @4GHz

Peronally i would recomend anybody to use a second hand X58 Xeon for a budget Gaming build

That 2,5GHz is simply too slow, I bet 3 or 3,2 GHz would make a HUGE difference in games.

No OC on server boards ?
Well that depends... IF board supports 1600MHz FSB CPU's, it should be able work with BSEL mod (ie. 3GHz on those L5420 :)) : LINK/LINK.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

hmmmm this is interesting, i never thought of using old server hardware for a desktop. this might be my new editing system, for when I render videos, with the  8 cores. BUT didn't linus show that server stuff does not like a gaming work load with the 32 core computer? 

Amazon: http://geni.us/4CaQ

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1Q2Fqah

Can you build a badass gaming rig on the cheap using old server hardware?

this build is so far from what I would ever recommend to someone for gaming that I really don't know where to start.  As a used hardware junkie (you can see that very well from my about me page) and an owner of dual Xeon and Opteron systems, I noticed a number of fallacies in this video.  To start, even using CAD not USD $150 is more than anyone should be paying for these components.   If I was recommending such a build to anyone, I most certainly would not go LGA 771; LGA 1366 offers hypethreading unlike 771 as well as PCIe 2.0 guaranteed (unless slots are running through DMI)  at a not much greater price.   Along with that buyers should keep in mind that the majority of power delivery solutions on LGA 771 systems utilized electrolytic capacitors, which even if maintained well, could very well be reaching the end of there functionality due to evaporating electrolytic compound, unbeknownst to the seller or the buyer.  On top of those issues Linus omitted any indication that a potential buyer would need to check not only that the motherboard supported LGA 771 CPU's, but also that there CPU's lithography and FSB are supported by the motherboard.  As for the CPU's, not only do you need matching SKU's, but for proper operation should have a matched stepping code and if possible should be only purchased as a matched pair.  Linus should also have noted that this dual CPU configuration does not behave as 8 cores in an OS/application; for the second CPU to be used at all the OS/application must also support Dual CPU, which unfortunately at least for windows 7, dual processor is not supported at all except on Pro and higher teir licenses.  In review, for the video to cause the least confusion possible I would have like Linus to note:

• LGA 771 components should be selected with care, only from reputable seller and if at all possible ensuring the motherboard is devoid of electrolytic capacitors.
  • Dual CPU configurations need to not only be from the same model-number, but also have a matching stepping code and preferably be sold only as matched pairs.
  • LGA 771 motherboards lack some key features that I have seen cause bottlenecks even on lower their expansion cards, including lower IPC than their lGA 1366 counterparts, lack of PCIe 2.0 in many cases (PCIe 1.0 WILL bottleneck graphics cards in many cases) along with other features.
  • LGA 771 motherboards must be picked ensuring that they have support for the intended CPU's lithography and FSB clock.
  • The system will not perform inherently like an 8 core system; in many cases (at least in windows 7) windows will completely refuse to recognize your second processor without you having a Pro or higher their windows license.  Applications that support 8 cores might also not necessarily run on a dual CPU setup without support. There is a high likelihood that NO GAME supports dual CPUs or ever will, which begs the question why would you go dual CPU when you could get an E5620 for $10 and have 4 cores/8 threads and have complete support for any multithread games down the line...

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

i like, but the x5460 in my server are beaster. 32gb of fb ddr2 and a raid card with 4 10k sas hdd's as well, the only problem is mine is 1u and has an 8400gs in it so it doesn't game gr8.  

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

If you are going to do this, get a socket LGA1366 based board and CPU's. There is a significant difference between LGA1366 and LGA771 stuff.
LGA1366

* is newer

* DDR3 memory

* price is the same

Also, get a motherboard pulled from a desktop workstation if possible, or at least from a tower server. Modifying motherboards from rack server is PITA. You have different power connectors, usually just 2 usb ports, weird form factor, not accessible PCI-E slots if not using riser etc.

If you are going to do this, get a socket LGA1366 based board and CPU's. There is a significant difference between LGA1366 and LGA771 stuff.

LGA1366

* is newer

* DDR3 memory

* price is the same

Also, get a motherboard pulled from a desktop workstation if possible, or at least from a tower server. Modifying motherboards from rack server is PITA. You have different power connectors, usually just 2 usb ports, weird form factor, not accessible PCI-E slots if not using riser etc.

1366 boards and cpus cost way more though. you can get 6 cores and they are cool

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1366 boards and cpus cost way more though. you can get 6 cores and they are cool

boards cost more, cpus are around the same. You can get Xeons X5570 for 17$ a piece

boards cost more, cpus are around the same. You can get Xeons X5570 for 17$ a piece

true, but i i was to get a 1366 server i would go for 6 core cpus :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Z800-Work-station-2-x-Xeon-6-Core-5670-Ram-24GB-SSD-128-GB-Quadro-2000-USB-/252053556204?hash=item3aaf900bec:g:RjYAAOSwcwhVK9ns

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Linus should also have noted that this dual CPU configuration does not behave as 8 cores in an OS/application; for the second CPU to be used at all the OS/application must also support Dual CPU, which unfortunately at least for windows 7, dual processor is not supported at all except on Pro and higher teir licenses.  In review, for the video to cause the least confusion possible I would have like Linus to note:

• The system will not perform inherently like an 8 core system; in many cases (at least in windows 7) windows will completely refuse to recognize your second processor without you having a Pro or higher their windows license.  Applications that support 8 cores might also not necessarily run on a dual CPU setup without support. There is a high likelihood that NO GAME supports dual CPUs or ever will, which begs the question why would you go dual CPU when you could get an E5620 for $10 and have 4 cores/8 threads and have complete support for any multithread games down the line...

THANK YOU! I came here just to point this particular bit out, as I just recently discovered when trying to install windows 10 home edition on an old dual xeon MacPro. Having to shell out $200 for a Pro Windows license to get full use of the hardware sort of takes the sparkle out of the $150 price point quoted. That said, for games, it probably matters very little, but would have been nice to have been at least mentioned in the video.

I\m very happy you covered this.  I've been saying for years that 'refurbishing' servers to home use makes for some interesting configurations on the cheap.

Very happy that LinusTech covered this.  Thank you :)

It doesn't help that the $150 quoted price *doesn't* include storage, a video card, a case, or a power supply...

THANK YOU! I came here just to point this particular bit out, as I just recently discovered when trying to install windows 10 home edition on an old dual xeon MacPro. Having to shell out $200 for a Pro Windows license to get full use of the hardware sort of takes the sparkle out of the $150 price point quoted. That said, for games, it probably matters very little, but would have been nice to have been at least mentioned in the video.

So long as you keep in mind that every one of those x16 slots are actually wired x8, and might be a bottleneck for any high-end graphics cards you install, it does seem that it'd be a very good board for such a project...  :)

http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/QPI/5500/X8DTH-6F.cfm

I found a deal http://www.ebay.de/itm/supermicro-X8DTH-6F-2-So-1366-XEON-X5570-16-logische-Kerne-x3-3GHz-Turbo-7PCIe-/121824302525?hash=item1c5d4b55bd:g:OXEAAOSwcdBWRKqq looks pretty good for me, decent board and to Quad Cores. Just need Ram, Gpu and PSU  that should still be under 150 Bucks :)

Can sombody help me i tried to look for this and no luck can somebody like send me links so i can buy it please 

If you're incapable of researching the parts for yourself, then you really don't want to do this.

Go and buy/build a pc with modern components, unless you know what you're doing, and want to be adventurous, or you just want to learn the hard way.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

If you're incapable of researching the parts for yourself, then you really don't want to do this.

Go and buy/build a pc with modern components, unless you know what you're doing, and want to be adventurous, or you just want to learn the hard way.

I just need links im capeable to build a pc so i just help i dont want any trouble 

I just need links im capeable to build a pc so i just help i dont want any trouble 

Like i said. If you don't want to do the research, don't do. This isn't as simple as going to Newegg and picking some parts, with your mind slightly focused on compatibility.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit