Having massive problems with my new PC

Hey guys!

So, I just bought a new PC, which was assembled for me by the shop. And, now that I've started using it, I've got quite a few problems. First, though, here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Colosseum

Motherboard: Asus Z170 Gaming Pro

RAM: 2x 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Fury 2600

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Season M12II Bronze 750W

Monitor: Acer Predator X34

The issues:

1. I randomly have 'thump' or 'pop' sounds coming from my monitor speakers. Also, when playing something, the audio often stops and it's a stop-start sequence, where the audio plays for 10-20 seconds then stops for a while then starts and so on. At first, I was chalking this up to the monitor, because the Predator X34 has had quality control issues but I'm not so sure now. This is also not a persistent problem. Sometimes, I can have a whole session without any problems and at other times, not so much. The computer going to sleep/restarting/shutting down seems to be the trigger but, then again, when that happens, the monitor also goes to sleep/turns off so maybe that's the trigger.

2. At times, Windows will randomly just go crazy and the taskbar will be visible but the right side of it (where you have the time/date/wifi/speakers and so on) just disappears. After this, the system is just crazy. I can open some apps but not others. Most of the normal stuff you can do on Windows just stops working. And, this isn't something that has happened only once but multiple times now.

3. At other times, the whole screen just goes blank and all I can see is the cursor. This usually happens after I restart the computer/power it on but has also happened after everything seeed to be working perfectly and I was on the lock screen but it suddenly blinked and bam! The screen went dark, with only the cursor.

NOTE: Ok, so, when the PC came, it didn't have Windows so I installed it myself but, after it started and I left for a while to let it do its thing, and then returned a little while later, there was just a black screen. I let it remain like that for, I don't know, 30 minutes before doing a hard reset. Then, when I tried to boot using the SSD, it wouldn't work. I tried booting using the USB drive through while I was installing the thing and it didn't work either. Then, I chose a bunch of the options and it just did and booted me into Windows 8. I then upgraded to 10. Anyways, I first thought that some problem during this time was leading to my issues so I reset Windows and it's still the same but I thought I should explain it, in case it has some relevance.

I'm a total newbie to DIY builds (which is why I let the shop assemble it for me) so I'm wondering what I should do. Any help would be appreciated. On the audio front, I was first thinking it was something to do with the monitor but now I'm not so sure since I've read about the Z170 Gaming Pro having other audio issues. It's not the same as mine but, well, it does make me wonder. Before you say install the latest drivers, I've already gone to Asus's website and done so. Also, resetting Windows obviously didn't solve 2 and 3 so I'm not sure exactly what's  going on.

For all of this: do you have drivers? Check your equipment manufacturer's website for drivers. Secondly: is everything installed correctly? If you have a removable and replaceable amp on your motherboard, is it plugged in properly? Is your video card plugged in and powered using all necessary PCIe auxiliary power?

"Not breaking it or making it worse is key."

"Bad choices make good stories."

Hey guys!

So, I just bought a new PC, which was assembled for me by the shop. And, now that I've started using it, I've got quite a few problems. First, though, here are the specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Colosseum

Motherboard: Asus Z170 Gaming Pro

RAM: 2x 8GB Kingston Hyper-X Fury 2600

SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

HDD: WD Blue 1TB

PSU: Season M12II Bronze 750W

Monitor: Acer Predator X34

The issues:

1. I randomly have 'thump' or 'pop' sounds coming from my monitor speakers. Also, when playing something, the audio often stops and it's a stop-start sequence, where the audio plays for 10-20 seconds then stops for a while then starts and so on. At first, I was chalking this up to the monitor, because the Predator X34 has had quality control issues but I'm not so sure now. This is also not a persistent problem. Sometimes, I can have a whole session without any problems and at other times, not so much. The computer going to sleep/restarting/shutting down seems to be the trigger but, then again, when that happens, the monitor also goes to sleep/turns off so maybe that's the trigger.

2. At times, Windows will randomly just go crazy and the taskbar will be visible but the right side of it (where you have the time/date/wifi/speakers and so on) just disappears. After this, the system is just crazy. I can open some apps but not others. Most of the normal stuff you can do on Windows just stops working. And, this isn't something that has happened only once but multiple times now.

3. At other times, the whole screen just goes blank and all I can see is the cursor. This usually happens after I restart the computer/power it on but has also happened after everything seeed to be working perfectly and I was on the lock screen but it suddenly blinked and bam! The screen went dark, with only the cursor.

NOTE: Ok, so, when the PC came, it didn't have Windows so I installed it myself but, after it started and I left for a while to let it do its thing, and then returned a little while later, there was just a black screen. I let it remain like that for, I don't know, 30 minutes before doing a hard reset. Then, when I tried to boot using the SSD, it wouldn't work. I tried booting using the USB drive through while I was installing the thing and it didn't work either. Then, I chose a bunch of the options and it just did and booted me into Windows 8. I then upgraded to 10. Anyways, I first thought that some problem during this time was leading to my issues so I reset Windows and it's still the same but I thought I should explain it, in case it has some relevance.

I'm a total newbie to DIY builds (which is why I let the shop assemble it for me) so I'm wondering what I should do. Any help would be appreciated. On the audio front, I was first thinking it was something to do with the monitor but now I'm not so sure since I've read about the Z170 Gaming Pro having other audio issues. It's not the same as mine but, well, it does make me wonder. Before you say install the latest drivers, I've already gone to Asus's website and done so. Also, resetting Windows obviously didn't solve 2 and 3 so I'm not sure exactly what's  going on.

What i would do, because you're having so many issues, just backup your files, and do a re install of windows.... should fix everything....

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x + H150i Elite LCD     

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB DDR4 3600MHz CL16

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro

GPU: MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC       

SSD 1: Corsair MP600 1tb (Windows)      

SSD 2: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb (Scratch Drive)   

SSD 3: Samsung 860 EVO 250gb

HDD 1: WD Blue 1TB

HDD 2: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Case: NZXT H710

PSU: Corsair TX750M

Mouse: Lamzu Atlantis Pro Mini 4khz

Keyboard: Akko 5075B Plus

Try resetting the bios

Reinstall windows from scratch(it might help, highly doubt it)

Rig: Thermaltake Urban S71 | MSI Z77 G45-Gaming Intel Core i5 3570K (4.4Ghz @ 1.4v) CM Hyper 212 EVO | Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB | MSI GTX 660 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 3TB HDD | EVGA 850W B2

Doesn't the shop provide some customers services also a question you have Acer Predator X34 and you are using built in graphics. Wow

Magical Pineapples

Doesn't the shop provide some customers services also i fun question you have Acer Predator X34 and you are using built in graphics. Wow

10 out of 10 ign

For all of this: do you have drivers? Check your equipment manufacturer's website for drivers. Secondly: is everything installed correctly? If you have a removable and replaceable amp on your motherboard, is it plugged in properly? Is your video card plugged in and powered using all necessary PCIe auxiliary power?

Did you install drivers?

t's not the same as mine but, well, it does make me wonder. Before you say install the latest drivers, I've already gone to Asus's website and done so. Also, resetting Windows obviously didn't solve 2 and 3 so I'm not sure exactly what's  going on.

Doesn't the shop provide some customers services also i fun question you have Acer Predator X34 and you are using built in graphics. Wow

I don't have a GPU yet. That's because I'm looking for the Zotac Amp! Extreme specifically and that's out of stock for the next two weeks so I'm making do with the Intel graphics for now.

As for the shop, it's not the US. They maybe will but that's a big maybe. Their idea of 'warranty' is simply that they won't charge me to process a replacement from the manufacturer. 

I don't have a GPU yet. That's because I'm looking for the Zotac Amp! Extreme specifically and that's out of stock for the next two weeks so I'm making do with the Intel graphics for now.

As for the shop, it's not the US. They maybe will but that's a big maybe. Their idea of 'warranty' is simply that they won't charge me to process a replacement from the manufacturer. 

That didnt answer my question if drivers have been installed..

That didnt answer my question if drivers have been installed..

Before that, I quoted my opening post saying that I had, even going so far as to embolden the relevant part. 

Before that, I quoted my opening post saying that I had, even going so far as to embolden the relevant part. 

Well in that case something goofed

Well in that case something goofed

Precisely. Now, if one of you guys could tell me what - or even if you don't know how to fix it, could just point me toward which part is faulty so I can have that replaced - I'd appreciate it.

Precisely. Now, if one of you guys could tell me what - or even if you don't know how to fix it, could just point me toward which part is faulty so I can have that replaced - I'd appreciate it.

I'm googling for you! I'll let you know if I can find anything

Windows 10 dun dun dunnn! i would call it a source of all this problems try to go back to win 8 and be on it for while and see if problems persists. Some ppl gonna jump on me that it is great system it has no flaws, has better security i would say that this fanbois should be ignored, just a small tip from me . 

CPU i5 6600k 4,4Ghz , COOLER Dark Rock 3 from BQ, RAM 16 GB of ddr 4 2800MHz from corsair,

PSU EVGA 750 W GOLD G2, MOBO Msi z170A Gaming M3, CASE NZXT H440 Black/Blue,

GPU Geforce GTX 980 Gigabyte G1 Gaming,

STORAGE 1 SSD Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB and 1 HDD 500GB WD, Windows 8.1.

I'm googling for you! I'll let you know if I can find anything

Thanks a lot!

Windows 10 dun dun dunnn! i would call it a source of all this problems try to go back to win 8 and be on it for while and see if problems persists. Some ppl gonna jump on me that it is great system it has no flaws, has better security i would say that this fanbois should be ignored, just a small tip from me . 

I don't see how that could be the issue but before downgrading, I'll first nuke the current installation and re-install to see if that works.

RMA ALL THE THINGS!!!! :(

I don't think that's going to be particularly easy, not to mention the fact that I'll now have to assemble everything myself.

So, anyways, based on the advice given above, I tried to reinstall Windows and I have the same blank screen problem that I had before. The installation started and even had a bit of progress but, after the first of the many restarts in the process, I now have a blank screen. The system is running but there's no display output...What do I do?

I don't think that's going to be particularly easy, not to mention the fact that I'll now have to assemble everything myself.

So, anyways, based on the advice given above, I tried to reinstall Windows and I have the same blank screen problem that I had before. The installation started and even had a bit of progress but, after the first of the many restarts in the process, I now have a blank screen. The system is running but there's no display output...What do I do?

sorry for such long time not response >.>

issue could be :

a) broken mb

b)broken CPU

c) windows drivers that are instaled before GPU ones

AND about your answer the OS CAN fuck things up when its bad especially fresh ones like win 10 (most of ppl dont know it and buy cuz its all shiny and new with bullshit advertisment attached to it) thats why i suggest you to downgrade system becasue older ones are MORE stable and can give you a good idea where is the main source of the issue. IF it wasnt a possibility i wouldnt mention about it, trust me.

EDIT:

Small edit. If you did downgrade system already (because i  could misread you in some way) than sadly its propably a or b issue which a is more likely (broken onboard graphic ) or there is last one that your CPU does not support monitor native resolution and thus creates a black screen.

CPU i5 6600k 4,4Ghz , COOLER Dark Rock 3 from BQ, RAM 16 GB of ddr 4 2800MHz from corsair,

• 4 weeks later...

sorry for such long time not response >.>

issue could be :

a) broken mb

b)broken CPU

c) windows drivers that are instaled before GPU ones

AND about your answer the OS CAN fuck things up when its bad especially fresh ones like win 10 (most of ppl dont know it and buy cuz its all shiny and new with bullshit advertisment attached to it) thats why i suggest you to downgrade system becasue older ones are MORE stable and can give you a good idea where is the main source of the issue. IF it wasnt a possibility i wouldnt mention about it, trust me.

EDIT:

Small edit. If you did downgrade system already (because i could misread you in some way) than sadly its propably a or b issue which a is more likely (broken onboard graphic ) or there is last one that your CPU does not support monitor native resolution and thus creates a black screen.

Thanks for answering, even if late (if course,I replied even later!). Anyways, the problems seems to have something to do with Display Porton the monitor. Using HDMI solved all the problems...but since this is a G-Sync monitor, that's another problem and not a solution...

Thanks for answering, even if late (if course,I replied even later!). Anyways, the problems seems to have something to do with Display Porton the monitor. Using HDMI solved all the problems...but since this is a G-Sync monitor, that's another problem and not a solution...

so there only 2 options :

1) RMA monitor

2) RMA GPU

thats all :D