Cards Against Humanity company makes $71,000 selling nothing on Black Friday

Samfisher

Source : http://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/popular-card-game-offers-customers-nothing-for-something-works-a-treat/news-story/333536aa2bb3d49a318ff7cc119b9a91

Popular card game Cards Against Humanity (you may have played it) made a lot of money selling absolutely nothing — yep, zero, zip, zilch, nada.The company, which markets itself as “a party game for horrible people”, made USD$71,000 ($100,000) charging shoppers $5 ($7) for nothing in return.

CAH basically posted on their website asking for the customer's names, credit card number, and charging $5 to receive....nothing.  And they made USD$71,000.  This is absolutely brilliant marketing or there are a lot of hipsters jumping on this.

Would you spend $5 for absolutely nothing?

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I'm all for doing things differently, but this is a drastic kind of "different". Brilliant marketing nonetheless though. 

The Beast: CPU: i7 4790K GPU: EVGA 1080 SC Cooling: Dual NZXT Kraken x61 RAM: HyperX Fury 1866MHz Storage: SSD: 500GB Samsung EVO 840 + HDD: 1TB WD MOBO: Asus Z97 - a PSU: RM850x Case: H440 green-black Setup: Link PCPP: Link Evolution: Link 

Gear: PS4 with custom skin // Astro A50 Xbox edition to fit colour scheme // Oppo PM-3 Planar Magnetic Closed Back Headphones // OnePlus One 64GB sandstone

Other stuffs: Acer aspire 128GB SSD 10GB RAM // MacBook Pro 13" 500GB SSD 16GB RAM // A 2009 iMac 21"

confusion-face.png

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I've thought the general populous are idiots for a long time now. This only solidifies my belief.

That's $71,000 that could have easily gone to charity.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

All I got to say is...

"If people are willing to do that" then good luck to ya. Or Good Karma or whatever...

$71k for sending out zero products... thats a paddlin.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Well.. It's called donations isn't it? Lots of people donate to stuff because they just like the product or game or wahtever..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'm not sure if this makes no sense or I'm just too tired to understand it...

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

CAH basically posted on their website asking for the customer's names, credit card number, and charging $5 to receive....nothing.  And they made USD$71,000.  This is absolutely brilliant marketing or there are a lot of hipsters jumping on this.

Would you spend $5 for absolutely nothing?

last year they did this for a box of shit, believe it or not be you trully received shit as in human feces back then, they are a company that doesnt talk nonsense, they do what they say.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

last year they did this for a box of shit, believe it or not be you trully received shit as in human feces back then, they are a company that doesnt talk nonsense, they do what they say.

But wouldn't that be against regulations to send bacteria in a product. I'm not up to snuff on laws but surely thats a big NO-NO.

IE:You can't say they clean shit so good its not dangerous.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

But wouldn't that be against regulations to send bacteria in a product. I'm not up to snuff on laws but surely thats a big NO-NO.

IE:You can't say they clean shit so good its not dangerous.

You're allowed to send poo in the mail (in the US at least).  There's a bunch of requirements though like having to have the biohazard label on the package and it has to be packaged in a particular way.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_023.htm

"Solid or Dry Specimen."

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

You're allowed to send poo in the mail (in the US at least).  There's a bunch of requirements though like having to have the biohazard label on the package and it has to be packaged in a particular way.

http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_023.htm

"Solid or Dry Specimen."

Ahh ok, cheers for providing info, didn't think it was a reasonable thing to be allowed at all... happy to be proven wrong.

This isn't a hipster thing to do, it's just funny, like donating an entertainer. Hipsters to things that are stupid and retarded because they have more stupid people who will follow them.

Also your article quote is invisible for Night Theme users.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

The money was split between the makers of Cards Against Humanity and they got a detailed breakdown of what each one of them spent the money on.

Quite a lot of donations to things like cancer research, and stuff for their families (such as a car for someone's mom). One of them also spent 3,120 dollars on a golden "vibrating massager" and 280 dollars on lube to go along with it.

I can already see the reviews:

"I paid $5 for nothing and it was everything I expected and nothing less (or more) 10/10 would buy again!" 

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

The money was split between the makers of Cards Against Humanity and they got a detailed breakdown of what each one of them spent the money on.

Quite a lot of donations to things like cancer research, and stuff for their families (such as a car for someone's mom). One of them also spent 3,120 dollars on a golden "vibrating massager" and 280 dollars on lube to go along with it.

my god... COH employees are best employees. (Sorry Dennis)

- snip-

Right, so now you can surely afford to pay for those servers you cried you couldn't afford for the online thing?

-------

Current Rig

-------

Right, so now you can surely afford to pay for those servers you cried you couldn't afford for the online thing?

The company that shut down had their online CAH servers has no affiliation to the actual developers of CAH...

OT: That's brilliant marketing. It's no different then donating to LMG via the forums. They explicitly said you gave them $5 for nothing in return.

I've thought the general populous are idiots for a long time now. This only solidifies my belief.

Uhm... some of it DID go to charity. But hey, people will donate their own money to things they enjoy. I could easily say that anyone who has donated to LMG in the past should be ashamed since they didn't donate to charity instead... but that'd be a ridiculous position to take.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

they're making a list of the worst idiots so they can start euthanizing them

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That one got me I'll admit. Seriously, what the hell? Nevertheless, I'm glad many of them decided to donate, there may not be that much donations in terms of quantity, but they are sort of big. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

See, Activision? This is how you get people to give you their money.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

maybe they are planning something horrible for it i mean its a card game for horrible people

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

They said they were going to outdo the shit-in-a-box from last year. i wasnt sure tehy could. They delivered. Thank you CAH. You all deserve golden vibrating devices and lube to go with it

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]