GTX 980 or R9 390x?

AsukaNii

980 is 5% faster for 100$ more. your call

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Depend on price and if you care about nvidia features and softwares or not.

The 980 is a superior GPU, it overclock a lot better and is a lot more energy efficient therefore will run cooler and quieter.

What kind of price difference are you looking at?

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Honestly I find it hard to recommend the 980 or Fury over a 390X. I've always been biased towards lots of VRAM though.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

Honestly I find it hard to recommend the 980 or Fury over a 390X. I've always been biased towards lots of VRAM though.

4GB IS a lot of VRAM...8GB is totally useless.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Well if you are gonna play Fallout 4, GTX 980.  For some odd reason the 970 gets better performance than the 390, so the 980 will definitely do better.  Also yeah the 980 is faster.

FO4 was fixed :P

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Depends on the price, if you can get a 980 for less than 20 bucks more go for that, if more than 40 bucks 390x, if in between that's a grey area imo (aka idk, not my price point)

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

4GB is average, 8-12 is a LOT

Well if you are gonna play Fallout 4, GTX 980.  For some odd reason the 970 gets better performance than the 390, so the 980 will definitely do better.  Also yeah the 980 is faster.

KSumEmRQ4KFX.878x0.Z-Z96KYq_zpslzql1m92.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

The 390X has my recommendation. I've got a 290X and love it. This generation of Nvidia cards hasn't really impressed me.

It was fine 6 months ago, just amd figured out how to fix their cards performance with software/refinement. Before that 970 was king of the hill in bang for your buck, that is no longer true however.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Well then  they patched it.   

Funny how that happens, huh? Maybe next time when something as big as Crimson launches you'll look into its effects before commenting? :P

snip lol!

hey lol WTF...980ti 60FPS average @ 1440p...hahaha man i played about 4 hours the other day including Lexington city and the ABSOLUTE lowest framerate that i have observed was 55FPS and i would say my average was around 90FPS with many instances at which i was getting 120FPS+...graphics details MAXED out at 2560x1440...those numbers won't make ANY sense what so ever unless maybe they tested the GPU on an FX-8150 or an i3 of some sort or something...and the GTX980 is not even there, but it's a given that it would perform a lot better than any amd cards in that game including even the FuryX...i would bet anything on this! ;)

Depend on price and if you care about nvidia features and softwares or not.

The 980 is a superior GPU, it overclock a lot better and is a lot more energy efficient therefore will run cooler and quieter.

What kind of price difference are you looking at?

depends what he is doing though... if you plan to play skyrim or fallout 4 with mods, 4GB of VRAM will never hold up. it is eaten up FAST...

390X is equal at 1440p as to most entry to mid level 980s bar the super factory OC ones...

hey lol WTF...980ti 60FPS average @ 1440p...hahaha man i played about 4 hours the other day including Lexington city and the ABSOLUTE lowest framerate that i have observed was 55FPS and i would say my average was around 90FPS with many instances at which i was getting 120FPS+...graphics details MAXED out at 2560x1440...those numbers won't make ANY sense what so ever unless maybe they tested the GPU on an FX-8150 or an i3 of some sort or something...and the GTX980 is not even there, but it's a given that it would perform a lot better than any amd cards in that game including even the FuryX...i would bet anything on this! ;)

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/494970-got-my-980ti/

:D

not even worth arguing...maybe his 3rd gen core i5 is hitting his performance real hard i don,t know but i SWEAR i get MUCH better results than this...MUCH BETTER.

That game on my system feel LIGHT as fuck and when i get performance dips in lexington it's my CPU or inneficiency in the code but when those dips happen my GPU LOAD also drop along with it...so it's not even the GPU...and as i said...55FPS absolute lowest i've seen.

EDIT: fed up guy here has had enough, i'm recording a fucking video with shadwoplay and uploading to youtube RIGHT NOW!

will post link later.

EDIT2: nevermind stupid broken game won't even launch if shadowplay is running :( no can do.

Edited by i_build_nanosuits

not even worth arguing...maybe his 3rd gen core i5 is hitting his performance real hard i don,t know but i SWEAR i get MUCH better results than this...MUCH BETTER.

That game on my system feel LIGHT as fuck and when i get performance dips in lexington it's my CPU or inneficiency in the code but when those dips happen my GPU LOAD also drop along with it...so it's not even the GPU...and as i said...55FPS absolute lowest i've seen.

EDIT: fed up guy here has had enough, i'm recording a fucking video with shadwoplay and uploading to youtube RIGHT NOW!

will post link later.

:lol: Don't get up in a twist. I had Fallout running tits and then it went sideways again. Not sure if RAM or CPU is causing the bottleneck but I myself have one bad. I just like pushing your fanboy button because of the cool sounds you make :ph34r:

:lol: Don't get up in a twist. I had Fallout running tits and then it went sideways again. Not sure if RAM or CPU is causing the bottleneck but I myself have one bad. I just like pushing your fanboy button because of the cool sounds you make :ph34r:

fair enough...

as i said in my EDIT#2 previously the stupid broken game won't even launch if shadwoplay is running on my system :(

will post link later.

EDIT2: nevermind stupid broken game won't even launch if shadowplay is running :( no can do.

why you so mad bro?

EDIT:

defeated by "glorious Nvidia features"

why you so mad bro?

EDIT:

defeated by "glorious Nvidia features"

i'm not mad...but 40FPS on a 980ti ain't happening...at least not on my system.

i'm not mad...but 40FPS on a 980ti ain't happening...at least not on my system.

depends.

you people, yes YOU INCLUDED, always seem to think a PC consists of "GAME or OS + other crap"... not "GAME AND OS + other crap"

god knows what was running in the background. Some tasks are known to be CPU hogs, so who fucking knows eh?

we dont exactly have all the details, do we now?

depends.

you people, yes YOU INCLUDED, always seem to think a PC consists of "GAME or OS + other crap"... not "GAME AND OS + other crap"

god knows what was running in the background. Some tasks are known to be CPU hogs, so who fucking knows eh?

we dont exactly have all the details, do we now?

Back on topic, as i said the GTX980 is the superior GPU, hands down...but i agree with your post it depend on price i WOULDN'T pay 100$ extra for it...but for 50$ it would be worth it. (assuming not a cheap ass reference card, but an ACX2.0 or windforce for example)

Eh when three cards are so close in performance...idk I love VRAM. I have a 980. I want a Fury. If I was the average user who has one rig at a time though and wants it to last a few years, I'd take the 390X. The reality is that the card will have more life cause VRAM is usually the reason people upgrade.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

fair enough...

as i said in my EDIT#2 previously the stupid broken game won't even launch if shadwoplay is running on my system :(

Don't let the man get you down. I'm sure a patch is incoming, I mean Bethesda wouldn't leave the game a steaming pile of crap would they? :lol: