Need for speed rivals - only 30 fps

Gkar

With motion blur it probably doesn't need anymore than 30.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

So is Dead Space 3, but it plays really smooth. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

Well i cant wait to play this on pc. If its limited then im editing the game files.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Remember that the game engine decides how many FPS you need for the game to feel "smooth" before anything else does.

Far Cry 3 is "playable" at around 20FPS for most people. Simply because it feels smooth. Why? I have no idea, but most games are not that way, so I safely assume it is the game engine. 

Possibly motion blur as well.

Well i cant wait to play this on pc. If its limited then im editing the game files.

I am completely sure he is talking about on consoles only.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Remember that the game engine decides how many FPS you need for the game to feel "smooth" before anything else does.

Far Cry 3 is "playable" at around 20FPS for most people. Simply because it feels smooth. Why? I have no idea, but most games are not that way, so I safely assume it is the game engine. 

Possibly motion blur as well.

I am completely sure he is talking about on consoles only.

O hell no i cant even play far cry 3 at 30fps.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Update: we're now reliably informed that this is the PC version operating to next-gen console specs, despite the PS4 controller being used..

LOL

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Again? Just like NFS The Run. But then again it's a racing game so personally I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60FPS in a driving game like NFS.

This is probably a good thing as well since they have a lower FPS target they can probably try to put more visual effects into the game. That's my take on it.

Again? Just like NFS The Run. But then again it's a racing game so personally I can't tell the difference between 30 and 60FPS in a driving game like NFS.

This is probably a good thing as well since they have a lower FPS target they can probably try to put more visual effects into the game. That's my take on it.

I don't know you, I haven't met you, and I don't know the state of the health of your eyes or your quality of vision.

However, I can CONFIRM without a doubt that you can tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS.  All I would have to do is put you in front of 2 games being played side-by-side, one at 30, the other at 60 (and as a further 'taste-test', another at 120 FPS).  I will GUARANTEE you can tell the difference, and I would pay you money if you still couldn't (assuming you were being truthful). :)

My first experience in this test was an un-intentional comparison, whereby I saw a Dreamcast racing game on display on a monitor, next to the Playstation section at a Future Shop (this goes a while back in time).  As stated, the Dreamcast game was a racing game, and the PS2 game was a Tony Hawk skateboarding game.  The difference in fluidity was beyond night-and-day.  It is from that day forward that I realized I liked 60 FPS as a minimum.

I don't know you, I haven't met you, and I don't know the state of the health of your eyes or your quality of vision.

However, I can CONFIRM without a doubt that you can tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS.  All I would have to do is put you in front of 2 games being played side-by-side, one at 30, the other at 60 (and as a further 'taste-test', another at 120 FPS).  I will GUARANTEE you can tell the difference, and I would pay you money if you still couldn't (assuming you were being truthful). :)

My first experience in this test was an un-intentional comparison, whereby I saw a Dreamcast racing game on display on a monitor, next to the Playstation section at a Future Shop (this goes a while back in time).  As stated, the Dreamcast game was a racing game, and the PS2 game was a Tony Hawk skateboarding game.  The difference in fluidity was beyond night-and-day.  It is from that day forward that I realized I liked 60 FPS as a minimum.

You are correct, in FPS games I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 but not in driving games.

You are correct, in FPS games I can tell the difference between 30 and 60 but not in driving games.

You will definitely see a difference in more fast-paced racing games - for example, in Gran Turismo 5 when racing with Formula 1 cars etc. Need For Speed tends to be a very fast-paced racing game (unrealistically so if I'm honest) with lots of visuals moving at an extremely rapid rate on screen, making a lower framerate considerably more noticeable.

It's for this reason that you can so easily see when the framerate drops even a little in Need For Speed: ProStreet.

30 frames per second certainly isn't the end of the world, especially if it remains consistent and doesn't drop often. But it's certainly going to be quite lacking considering its competitors (Forza Motorsport 5, Gran Turismo 6) will likely be running at 60fps like their predecessors.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

You will definitely see a difference in more fast-paced racing games - for example, in Gran Turismo 5 when racing with Formula 1 cars etc. Need For Speed tends to be a very fast-paced racing game (unrealistically so if I'm honest) with lots of visuals moving at an extremely rapid rate on screen, making a lower framerate considerably more noticeable.

It's for this reason that you can so easily see when the framerate drops even a little in Need For Speed: ProStreet.

30 frames per second certainly isn't the end of the world, especially if it remains consistent and doesn't drop often. But it's certainly going to be quite lacking considering its competitors (Forza Motorsport 5, Gran Turismo 6) will likely be running at 60fps like their predecessors.

Maybe it's because I play on a controller :D (JUST FOR RACING GAMES THOUGH  ;) )

Maybe it's because I play on a controller :D (JUST FOR RACING GAMES THOUGH  ;) )

I think it's because the delta speeds between you and other cars is much less.  For example, if your car is traveling at 100 MPH, and the car you are passing is traveling at 95 MPH, the sensation from your perspective is that the car is traveling towards the screen at 5 MPH, which is much slower and much less critical to motion at 30 FPS.

However, if you track objects that you are passing, including guard rails, bushes, traffic signs, and buildings with your eyes, you might notice it a little more.  This is because they move on the screen from your perspective much faster.  Depending on how fast the driving game is, you may notice objects passing by at 60 FPS more than 30.

Hey I ain't gonna criticise you for that. :D Keyboard and mouse just doesn't work great for racing games. Controller allows you to control the acceleration and braking of your car much more accurately than with a keyboard and mouse.

I doubt it'd make a difference to how you perceive the framerate of the game though. I played on the Xbox 360 for yeaaaaaaaaars and found the framerate drops in certain racing games to be unbearable. Namely NFS ProStreet and NFS Shift. :P

Edit: Also, @Xorbot is spot on.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Oh well. I don't care anyway - Need for Speed is a ruined franchise for me.

It's a shame. The last decent NFS game was Carbon. :(

I wasn't much into racing games, but when I was little I loved NFS hot pursuit 2

Don't play it on consoles...?

Profit.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

Meh. I haven't really played and of the NFS's since hot pursuit 2.

I'd say I'm disappointed, but me being on PC I couldn't really care less.

I personally can't stand playing racers at 30fps now that I'm used to playing at 60 on PC.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

• 2 months later...

Don't play it on consoles...?

Profit.

This article is about PC version. That's why we are discussing this here anyway. Limiting a game on 30 fps should be a crime. That is just too much, EA!

MSI Z77MA-G45; Intel Core i5-3570K @ 4.0GHz with stock cooler (75°C max. in Prime95); Corsiar Vengeance 2x4GB @ 1600MHz CL9; EVGA GTX 650Ti SSC 2GB GDDR5 @ stock; Samsung 840 120GB (15s boot time); WD Green 500GB; Corsair CX430; Corsair 350D; BenQ RL2455HM (best gaming 60Hz monitor); Logitech G400 mouse; Logitech K120 keyboard; Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Oh no you don´t, because somehow they bound the gamespeed to the FPS... Watch the video.

I watched this last night, I was going to post it in this thread also. Funny as all hell, I have not seen Totalbiscuit get so mad in ages lol

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly