My review on the ButterFly Labs Jalapeno

So, about a year ago i ordered a ButterFly labs 4.5 Gh/s miner back when the price was much lower. About a couple months ago i placed an order for it (September of last year, LOL). Then i purchased the available upgrade for it which added a 2 gh/s upgrade speed to it. But instead of having 6.5 gh/s, i have a whopping 8.1 gh/s. Then i ordered another one the following week and they both arrived the same time. But the other miner only ran at 7.2 gh/s (i know, dreams have been shattered). They both work AWESOME! But even before i decided on which miner to get i had to get something for it to run off that would be very low power consumption. The choice was easy because i already had a Raspberry Pi laying around gathering dust (shame me, but i put it to very good use). The entire rig at the moment only consumes about 48-50 watts, better than my LiteCoin miner which took about a 300-400 watts. They work very well with the Raspberry pi because all i had to do was compile bfgminer from source and i was on my merry way.

My rate for the miners:9-10

Improvements?: I put in new Noctua fans inside and they work like a charm! Almost silent.

My total profits from the miners?: 18 BTC ($1800~ USD)

post-37386-0-86538800-1377284241.png

Nice job!

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

So, about a year ago i ordered a ButterFly labs 4.5 Gh/s miner back when the price was much lower. About a couple months ago i placed an order for it (September of last year, LOL). Then i purchased the available upgrade for it which added a 2 gh/s upgrade speed to it. But instead of having 6.5 gh/s, i have a whopping 8.1 gh/s. Then i ordered another one the following week and they both arrived the same time. But the other miner only ran at 7.2 gh/s (i know, dreams have been shattered). They both work AWESOME! But even before i decided on which miner to get i had to get something for it to run off that would be very low power consumption. The choice was easy because i already had a Raspberry Pi laying around gathering dust (shame me, but i put it to very good use). The entire rig at the moment only consumes about 48-50 watts, better than my LiteCoin miner which took about a 300-400 watts. They work very well with the Raspberry pi because all i had to do was compile bfgminer from source and i was on my merry way.

My rate for the miners:9-10

Improvements?: I put in new Noctua fans inside and they work like a charm! Almost silent.

My total profits from the miners?: 18 BTC ($1800~ USD)

Do you have some pictures of the actual miners? Butterfly labs does not sell upgrade kits for there jalapeno miners as they are a single PCB assembly and ASIC chip assembly, their is no modular components that allow upgrades, only the avalon units have the card expandability and that is provided due to their formfactors, which are to say large server racks with fans and a 750 w PSU.

Also the wait time on any form of ASIC on butterfly labs (even the standalone chips if you want to buy them to create your own units) have wait lists months long, so I highly doubt your claim of ordering a mythical 2GH/s "upgrade" kit is completely debunked. Not to mention the ASICs are single chips manufactured at a 65nm process and BFL uses the same chips in all miners, the do not stock lower end chips. The other miners that BFL sells are just larger cases with more of the assembles of the Jalepeno miners, so that's another nail in the coffin.

Not to mention look at your mining info page, it says you had the miner running for exactly 16 days, even assuming you shutdown the unit to upgrade it, it would take an entire month to get around 1.68 coins, so mind telling me where you are getting you 18BTC from this miner from? Even running off the previous difficulty it would still take you over 6 months to allot that number of coins. I assume you got your order recently as they have JUST begun filling up preorders from the previous year, so given that it is impossible to get that number of coins even with a month or two even having the unit.

Not to mention your profile lists you as 17 years of age, so I am inclined to say that you are making all this information up on the spot in order to try to impress someone here. Which you are not, you just look like an ass at that point, a hardware community is all about sharing what you are interested in, not in bragging rights and false claims.

Do you have some pictures of the actual miners? Butterfly labs does not sell upgrade kits for there jalapeno miners as they are a single PCB assembly and ASIC chip assembly, there is no modular components that allow upgrades, only the avalon units have the card expandability and that is provided due to there formfactors, which are to say large server racks with fans and a 750 w PSU.

Also the wait time on any form of ASIC on butterfly labs (even the standalone chips if you want to buy them to create your own units) have wait lists months long, so I highly doubt your claim of ordering a mythical 2GH/s "upgrade" kit is completely debunked. Not to mention the ASICs are single chips manufactured at a 65nm process and BFL uses the same chips in all miners, the do not stock lower end chips. The other miners that BFL sells are just larger cases with more of the assembles of the Jalepeno miners, so that's another nail in the coffin.

Not to mention look at you mining info page, it says you had the miner running for exactly 16 days, even assuming you shutdown the unit to upgrade it, it would take an entire month to get around 1.68 coins, so mind telling me where you are getting you 18BTC from this miner from? Even running off the previous difficulty it would still take you over 6 months to allot that number of coins. I assume you got your order recently as they have JUST begun filling up preorders from the previous year, so given that it is impossible to get that number of coins even with a month or two even having the unit.

Not to mention your profile lists you as 17 years of age, so I am inclined to say that you are making all this information up on the spot in order to try to impress someone here. Which you are no, you just look like an ass at that point, a hardware community is all about sharing what you are interested in, not in bragging rights and false claims.

he dun goofed....

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Not to mention your profile lists you as 17 years of age, so I am inclined to say that you are making all this information up on the spot in order to try to impress someone here. Which you are no, you just look like an ass at that point, a hardware community is all about sharing what you are interested in, not in bragging rights and false claims.

post-265-0-81298100-1377639782.jpg

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

So how long did it take for them to come ? 

9 months :)

Do you have some pictures of the actual miners? Butterfly labs does not sell upgrade kits for there jalapeno miners as they are a single PCB assembly and ASIC chip assembly, their is no modular components that allow upgrades, only the avalon units have the card expandability and that is provided due to their formfactors, which are to say large server racks with fans and a 750 w PSU.

Not to mention look at your mining info page, it says you had the miner running for exactly 16 days, even assuming you shutdown the unit to upgrade it, it would take an entire month to get around 1.68 coins, so mind telling me where you are getting you 18BTC from this miner from? Even running off the previous difficulty it would still take you over 6 months to allot that number of coins. I assume you got your order recently as they have JUST begun filling up preorders from the previous year, so given that it is impossible to get that number of coins even with a month or two even having the unit.

Not to mention your profile lists you as 17 years of age, so I am inclined to say that you are making all this information up on the spot in order to try to impress someone here. Which you are not, you just look like an ass at that point, a hardware community is all about sharing what you are interested in, not in bragging rights and false claims.

LOL, heres my wallet and pool stats, the other 6 btc were from solo mining. And i got the miners when the dificulty was exponentially much lower. Please dont talk shit. Learn up first? And just because im 17 doesnt mean that im lying. Will post pictures of miners

http://imgur.com/EKc0rjv,i0wJeav#0

LOL, heres my wallet and pool stats, the other 6 btc were from solo mining. And i got the miners when the dificulty was exponentially much lower. Please dont talk shit. Learn up first? And just because im 17 doesnt mean that im lying. Will post pictures of miners

And the dificulty much lower, my yield was about .6 btc a day?

Heres the picture of my miners

http://imgur.com/TEnxBx2

They are "upgraded" because i payed extra for a higher clock speed.

And by solo mining, i mean mining with my cousins bfl singles for a couple weeks. I figured i would be supporting the network better if working with a pool.

What's your yield now that the difficulty is higher? 

About ~.13 a day, still making profit? :)

I hope i answered and explained myself.

About ~.13 a day, still making profit? :)

I hope i answered and explained myself.

Yeah, quite a bit, though the difficulty is growing so much quicker than before. 

You sir, need to fucking do your homework before shit talking.

You sir need to learn a bit about peer review and making a proper claim, you failed to mention that you got the other 6 BTC from solo mining. How was anyone to make that assumption, all we have is the first screenshot you posted to go off of. By your screenshot and claims you misrepresented information willingly or not that you gathered a large amount of coins in an absurdly small window of time. That is why everyone agreed with me, because you did not specify information and I called you out on it. 

I am not talking shit whatsoever, you failed to provide proper information and I pieced together the information you provided logically as presented.

Not to mention you made a fatal grammatical error in your sentence structure and application

"Then i purchased the available upgrade for it which added a 2 gh/s upgrade speed to it. But instead of having 6.5 gh/s, i have a whopping 8.1 gh/s. Then i ordered another one the following week and they both arrived the same time."

From this sentence you are inferring that you purchased a 2GH/s "upgrade kit" and then you purchased another "Upgrade kit" and they both arrived at the same time. From this statement you can ascertain that you would have got a boost of 4Gh/s , however you finally rectified that with posting that it was another BFL single unit and not this so called "Upgrade Chip". You misrepresented your equipment and that is on you not me. Welcome to the science community where we blow holes in your findings and dont waste out time trying to figure out what you meant and just call it by the books. Clear concise and correct information is key in all aspects of statistical findings and if you don't properly convey information any faults are hereby your own.

Not to mention Im gonna bite again and say there is no mystical 2GH/s that you are proposing, BFL does not provide an overclocking service, nor do they even endorse it if you look on the BFL forums. There is not option for this so called superior overclocking chip for purchase. Until you actually provide a product spec sheet your claim is worthless, I am not new to bitcoin and stay on top of all the current ASIC companies and BFL has never offered a premium overclocking service. 

What you failed to realize that the specs for the BFL asic units are rated to a spec average with a data plot over time, the min is the 4.5GH/s mark, that basically means that that is the average run-time value if you watch you miners they fluctuate in speeds, so its easy to see that high spikes can occur at intervals, consequentially this means they are also subject to low points.

​This is why I am right and you bash me for pointing out flaws in your claims, Im not being a heckler by any stretch, you need to realize that proper claims are everything and if you are the outlier with wrong or inadequate information you are stricken from the registrar.

By all means thanks for leaving the bad record on my profile, you have to resort to swearing to  even try to disprove my statements instead of a counter argument and claiming that im the ignorant one. This one irks me more than anything as its seems to be a trend with younger generations. THINK before providing statistical information without a proper basis to claims.

You sir need to learn a bit about peer review and making a proper claim, you failed to mention that you got the other 6 BTC from solo mining. How was anyone to make that assumption, all we have is the first screenshot you posted to go off of. By your screenshot and claims you misrepresented information willingly or not that you gathered a large amount of coins in an absurdly small window of time. That is why everyone agreed with me, because you did not specify information and I called you out on it. 

I am not talking shit whatsoever, you failed to provide proper information and I pieced together the information you provided logically as presented.

Not to mention you made a fatal grammatical error in your sentence structure and application

"Then i purchased the available upgrade for it which added a 2 gh/s upgrade speed to it. But instead of having 6.5 gh/s, i have a whopping 8.1 gh/s. Then i ordered another one the following week and they both arrived the same time."

From this sentence you are inferring that you purchased a 2GH/s "upgrade kit" and then you purchased another "Upgrade kit" and they both arrived at the same time. From this statement you can ascertain that you would have got a boost of 4Gh/s , however you finally rectified that with posting that it was another BFL single unit and not this so called "Upgrade Chip". You misrepresented your equipment and that is on you not me. Welcome to the science community where we blow holes in your findings and dont waste out time trying to figure out what you meant and just call it by the books. Clear concise and correct information is key in all aspects of statistical findings and if you don't properly convey information any faults are hereby your own.

Not to mention Im gonna bite again and say there is no mystical 2GH/s that you are proposing, BFL does not provide an overclocking service, nor do they even endorse it if you look on the BFL forums. There is not option for this so called superior overclocking chip for purchase. Until you actually provide a product spec sheet your claim is worthless, I am not new to bitcoin and stay on top of all the current ASIC companies and BFL has never offered a premium overclocking service. 

What you failed to realize that the specs for the BFL asic units are rated to a spec average with a data plot over time, the min is the 4.5GH/s mark, that basically means that that is the average run-time value if you watch you miners they fluctuate in speeds, so its easy to see that high spikes can occur at intervals, consequentially this means they are also subject to low points.

​This is why I am right and you bash me for pointing out flaws in your claims, Im not being a heckler by any stretch, you need to realize that proper claims are everything and if you are the outlier with wrong or inadequate information you are stricken from the registrar.

By all means thanks for leaving the bad record on my profile, you have to resort to swearing to  even try to disprove my statements instead of a counter argument and claiming that im the ignorant one. This one irks me more than anything as its seems to be a trend with younger generations. THINK before providing statistical information without a proper basis to claims.

Says the person who on the dot already thinks im a liar, not only is that rude, but its disrespectful. You could have just said, can we see a picture of your wallet/miners. And i would gladly to. They did not include the 2 gh/s upgrade until further later down the line. So i ordered the miner first and while waiting for them, they appeared with the upgrade advertisement, so i took it. 

And i don't want to impress someone? Just because you're 20 years old does not make you look big. Just stupid.

If you go to the forums and even bothering to read the pinned topics made by the BFL staff, they release updates about everything INCLUDING THE UPGRADE AVAILABLE FOR MINERS.

http://imgur.com/8X8UXDG,

Says the person who on the dot already thinks im a liar, not only is that rude, but its disrespectful. You could have just said, can we see a picture of your wallet/miners. And i would gladly to. They did not include the 2 gh/s upgrade until further later down the line. So i ordered the miner first and while waiting for them, they appeared with the upgrade advertisement, so i took it. 

And i don't want to impress someone? Just because you're 20 years old does not make you look big. Just stupid.

If you go to the forums and even bothering to read the pinned topics made by the BFL staff, they release updates about everything INCLUDING THE UPGRADE AVAILABLE FOR MINERS.

http://imgur.com/8X8UXDG,

Well then I stand corrected, there you go again though referencing back to a post before you completely flushed out the information. Also it was a pretty safe assumption considering your account at the time had 5 posts, to me and probably many others that frequent tech forums an extremely new person is not really trusted much, since many you see many people creating "post and dump" accounts. So im sorry if I prejudged you in that.

Im not trying to look high and mighty, that's  your own personal subjective judgement, I merely wanted adequate information. Not to mention that your post had that fatal grammatical error that caused a misinterpretation to  anyone reading it. I only realized you meant two separate units after you posted the picture to clarify what you meant.

This sentence is the one that made me instantly think your post was fake as it was worded incorrectly and makes the reader assume that there would be a modular component, an overclock could account for a performance game but the way it was worded you could safely assume modular components, this is why I felt the need to call you out on the post.

A miscommunication and nothing more was the root problem.

"And i don't want to impress someone? Just because you're 20 years old does not make you look big. Just stupid."

​I have to say this was really unnecessary, I mean come on we all have met that one person that trys to impress people just for the sake of trying to  make themselves seem better, not only that it is all too  common with younger generations.  Alot of my judgements were based upon social standards present on the internet, there are few that break the mold ( such as yourself), however it occurs enough that it becomes the defacto standard. So how does a an observation of social standards relate to intelligence level? Im  still scratching my head at this one, as im not trying to make myself look big, the "Upgrade Kit" was the problem in that you originally did not state if it was overclocking based or modularity which is how It was originally interpreted by me and a few others.

This so called "crap throwing match" is nothing more then a result of the limitations of text based communications and lack of view, you have to take the words as face value as with text there is no  body language or emotion from someone to draw one, even you would have to realize that.

Now do you understand?

Well then I stand corrected, there you go again though referencing back to a post before you completely flushed out the information. Also it was a pretty safe assumption considering your account at the time had 5 posts, to me and probably many others that frequent tech forums an extremely new person is not really trusted much, since many you see many people creating "post and dump" accounts. So im sorry if I prejudged you in that.

Im not trying to look high and mighty, that's  your own personal subjective judgement, I merely wanted adequate information. Not to mention that your post had that fatal grammatical error that caused a misinterpretation to  anyone reading it. I only realized you meant two separate units after you posted the picture to clarify what you meant.

This sentence is the one that made me instantly think your post was fake as it was worded incorrectly and makes the reader assume that there would be a modular component, an overclock could account for a performance game but the way it was worded you could safely assume modular components, this is why I felt the need to call you out on the post.

A miscommunication and nothing more was the root problem.

"And i don't want to impress someone? Just because you're 20 years old does not make you look big. Just stupid."

​I have to say this was really unnecessary, I mean come on we all have met that one person that trys to impress people just for the sake of trying to  make themselves seem better, not only that it is all too  common with younger generations.  Alot of my judgements were based upon social standards present on the internet, there are few that break the mold ( such as yourself), however it occurs enough that it becomes the defacto standard. So how does a an observation of social standards relate to intelligence level? Im  still scratching my head at this one, as im not trying to make myself look big, the "Upgrade Kit" was the problem in that you originally did not state if it was overclocking based or modularity which is how It was originally interpreted by me and a few others.

This so called "crap throwing match" is nothing more then a result of the limitations of text based communications and lack of view, you have to take the words as face value as with text there is no  body language or emotion from someone to draw one, even you would have to realize that.

Now do you understand?

On the top it said review. Not anything saying HEY I GOT A NEW MINER AND IM MAKING MORE MONEY THAN YOU!, get my point?

Ouch....

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

This argument stops now.

If you have doubts or suspicions then an inquiry by private message should be made.  A public accusation is not warranted.  Responding in kind and perpetuating the flame war is also not a good idea.  Please keep things friendly and respectful between members, and review the forum Code of Conduct linked in my signature.

Watch the language! The user made a claim against you. You are more then welcome to respond in a respectful manner.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Gotta love these forums. YellowDragon explains on several accounts how "wrong" the OP is, yet YellowDragon was wrong the whole time and the OP gets a warning because he tells the guy to fuck off... 

These forums are quickly turning into retard central.