Is youtube to mp3 legal?

Number

Is it? Just wondering. Im using it for djaying. I only gave some of the music I got to my grandmother.

Numbre

Is it? Just wondering. Im using it for djaying. I only gave some of the music I got to my grandmother.

I would say if you are using it for profit or commercial purposes, it is nearly 100% illegal, depending on the type of license the uploader used and the music in the audio track.  For personal use... very grey area.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

I would say if you are using it for profit or commercial purposes, it is nearly 100% illegal, depending on the type of license the uploader used and the music in the audio track.  For personal use... very grey area.

clipconverter.cc was what I used.

Numbre

Well said.

clipconverter.cc was what I used.

It doesn't matter which software or tool you used, it's the fact that you "copied/downloaded" something, quite possibly without any permission.

OK I doubt if anyone would blame you if you "saved" a video from Youtube to watch on the train or flight, but if you downloaded it with the express purpose of replaying at a theater or something commercial like that without express permission that could get you into trouble.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

It doesn't matter which software or tool you used, it's the fact that you "copied/downloaded" something.

But am I okay? Also. What if I get paid when I DJ. Does that make it illegal?

Numbre

yeah it technically is

just like jaywalking is, but nobody is going to do anything about it unless you directly get caught

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I'm not a lawyer so I can't say with any certainty if you can argue for "artistic licensing".  I know of cases where people have taken another person's intellectual property and made a parody of it or altered it to make a "statement" and have gotten away without any trouble.

^^^^This

I would say, if you are doing it for DJing and making a commercial gain just invest in some legitimate copies of songs.

After a quick google search I found one streaming service for DJs https://www.pulselocker.com/info but I'm sure with some more research you could find some more options.

Heck as a last resort you could just buy a bunch of second hand CDs.

^^^^This

I would say, if you are doing it for DJing and making a commercial gain just invest in some legitimate copies of songs.

After a quick google search I found one streaming service for DJs https://www.pulselocker.com/info but I'm sure with some more research you could find some more options.

Its only this one time that I am djaying for family. 

Numbre

Its only this one time that I am djaying for family. 

OK, are you professionally DJaying as part of an entertainment service or just "acting" as a DJ for a personal family party and it's going to be relatives who will pay you like "pocket change"?

For example, like your dad asking you "Son can you be in charge of the music at your mom's birthday party?  I'll give you $100 bonus on your allowance."

There is nothing 'grey' about it. If you didn't purchase the music legally then it's illegal. 

There is nothing 'grey' about it. If you didn't purchase the music legally then it's illegal. 

The music the OP downloaded could be music composed/played by someone who is uploading to Youtube without any attachments to the music industry or commercialization.  It could be someone who wrote their own song and uploaded to share with everyone.

OK, are you professionally DJaying as part of an entertainment service or just "acting" as a DJ for a personal family party and it's going to be relatives who will pay you like "pocket change"?

For example, like your dad asking you "Son can you be in charge of the music at your mom's birthday party?  I'll give you $100 bonus on your allowance."

No, not professionally as part of an entertainment service. For a family event.

Numbre

No, not professionally as part of an entertainment service. For a family event.

Then I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Otherwise everyone would have to pay royalties or seek permission every time they put on some music at parties.

If you're still not certain, there might be some members on this forum who work as wedding singers/musicians, or other types of entertainment service providers.  Someone like @jpguitar who I believe works as part of a professional wedding band.  They might be able to provide a better answer.

dont worry as long as you use it for personally. no fbi agent is going to come knocking at your door for it . its the same for pirating

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

^^^^This

Downloading media from the internet for personal use (or anything else that falls under fair use) in itself is a legal grey area. Technically, it's already on your computer because in order for a browser to play it, the media has to be cached somewhere. I use YouTube-dl for this process to grab any piece of media from anywhere on the net.

However, please be aware that any public performance of the media, either for free or money, is illegal. Although I don't agree with the everything the music industry has to say, it is usually frowned upon even by independent artists to use their works for free, let alone for money, without at least getting permission. Some artists, like the newer EDM tracks you'll find through Soundcloud and Monstercat, don't mind remixes and DJ sets being performed, so long as they're credited and acknowledged in the process.

Also keep in mind that purchasing the music for yourself (iTumors, Bandcamp, physical CD's) is completely different than having the rights to use it in a public performance.

In fact, Uncyclopedia has a wondeful article on Copyright. (I've highlighted the sadly true bits in RED)

Even though it's filled with insane gibberish and crazy claims, if you tone it down a little, most of it is completely true.

Copyright is a legal term that means you have copied something correctly. To copyright© a document is the legal equivalent of vicious apes competing for territory. Even though it's worthless, the biggest and smelliest ape always wins it.

Legal definition

Legally speaking, Copyright© grants the holder several exclusive rights:

• The right to jam the head of any person who duplicates their work into the photocopier.
  • The right to then press the red button on the copier as many times as they want.
  • The right to then copyright© the images of your crushed head
  • For the RIAAMPAA, or FCC to come and {CAKE}-rape you and steal your computer whenever they want.
  • The right to give you paper cuts.
  • This symbol means nothing, and may be ignored at your own risk.

Its Use

People use the copyright logo, ©, in a lot of situations. However, most of the time, it is located in hospital to check your eyesight. You must point to the direction where the © is facing and put your finger in the nurse's pussy. The nurse will get very happy and start having {CAKE} with you.

Obtaining Copyright©

Copyright© automatically applies to all new works. However, in order to enforce the Copyright© on the work, you need to:

• Pay $1,000,000 campaign funds to your favourite politician.
  • File in your favourite court, with your favourite judge, who must be a friend of your favourite politician.
  • Choose your victim. There is no requirement that the victim has ever seen your works before, but they should either have deep pockets (warning: this is not recommended, or you might face legal retaliation) or have shallow pockets, but make a good example in order to remind other people to pay you protection money.
  • Rape Bill Gates (warning: this is not recommended, or you might face legal retaliation)

Note that in order to enforce Copyright, there is no requirement that you actually own the Copyright.

Copyrighted© Music

Remember kids, DOWNLOADING COPYRIGHTED© MUSIC IS ALWAYS GOOD BECAUSE AT AGE 12 YOU WONT HAVE A CREDIT CARD ANYWAY. So just use LimewireBitTorrent, Bearshare, Pedobear share, etc.

Every time you download copyrighted© boo music a kitten is born, whether or not you already have it on a CD, A REAL KITTEN IS BORN!.The trouble is, music industry executives need every kitten they can huff just to live. Therefore, if you download a song (perhaps by humming something you heard on the radio in your head), you must find the kitten and take it home, so he can't eat that day, so he dies. Then the executive will stop passing on his copyright virus too the world. If you download Copyrighted© music, you must find the kittens!!

Copyrighted Tabs

So yeah, the musical copyright© apparently extends to tabs 'n' stuff, which is completely stupid because if it's only the interpretation of whoever writes it, then it's obviously only as illegal© as singing a song. The Governator, who feels very strongly on this issue, has begun hiring men with black suits and AWPs as a means to deal with illegal© tabbers within the comfort of their own homes. Boom, headshot.

Copyrighted© Lyrics

Yup, the lyrics are copyrighted© as well, which not only means you're not allowed to download the lyrics from t'internet, but you're also not allowed to sing or even attempt to memorize other people's lyrics in public.

More About Copyrighted Music

It's also illegal© to borrow or lend a CD or other format of music to or from someone, and it's illegal© to play your music loud enough for anyone to hear. It's illegal© to quote something from a song, and that includes putting a song in your instant messenger display name. It is also illegal© to even have a song stuck in your head, the more you think it the more you are using it.

Copyrighted© Heads

It's illegal to remove an artist's head and use it in public, but I think that's more about the murder bit than anything else. Speaking of which...

Copyrighted© Hands and Other Body Parts

I suppose it would be illegal© to use the hands of an artist if you get yourself a snazzy hand transplant, or indeed to use your mouth if you get a face transplant. This world sickens me sometimes

Note: the situation regarding unlicensed copying of non-human body parts seems less clear - fake antlers at Christmas, Devil horns at Halloween, and even whole animal suits at Fancy Dress Parties are common. I doubt whether any of these have permission from the original owners. (I personally know a young Brittany Spaniel who was very distressed to find copies of her ears for sale on the internet...) With the legality of unlicensed ear copying in doubt it is no surprise that the mentioned Brittany has hired the famed Barrister B.D. Dexter to pursue her claim and is expecting a large settlement.

Copyrighted© Culture

Culture© in any way cannot be copyrighted, so a bunch of dumb{CAKE} Malaysians tried to claim Indonesia's culture© of traditional dance and weaving, yet the Malaysians claim to be "Truly Asia" and did not even try to copyright the dance footage. This statement is wrong because Malaysia is not Truly Asia, Indonesia are. In fact, Malaysians are "Try-Hard Asia".

Plagiarism

This means to do anything, due to the world being around for several million years, everything you do has been copyrighted as all them fancy ideas you're having are already copyrighted by someone else. The whole world is liable to take fines of an average 2.7 billion dollars after living 12 years of life, the best way to avoid fines is to not think anything and sit on the ground for the rest of your life. Unfortunately, sitting on the ground has already been done, so you're gonna get sued anyways. Also, the act of being sued has been done before, so the lawyer must be sued by someone else, who in turn must be sued by somone else, who in turn must be sued by somone else, who .... you get the point. Society will come to an end and we will all have to commit rash acts of suicide, or destroy the copyright records. But the act of destroying something has alrea - I'm typing. On a keyboard. Been done before. Copyrighted. Clicking submit. ALREADY DONE?! *asplodes*

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Even though it's filled with insane gibberish and crazy claims...

Thumbs up!

Well youtube to MP3 only lets you download songs that aren't copyrighted.   Basically as long as you're not using it for profit your good to go.

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Downloading media from the internet for personal use (or anything else that falls under fair use) in itself is a legal grey area. Technically, it's already on your computer because in order for a browser to play it, the media has to be cached somewhere. I use YouTube-dl for this process to grab any piece of media from anywhere on the net.

However, please be aware that any public performance of the media, either for free or money, is illegal. Although I don't agree with the everything the music industry has to say, it is usually frowned upon even by independent artists to use their works for free, let alone for money, without at least getting permission. Some artists, like the newer EDM tracks you'll find through Soundcloud and Monstercat, don't mind remixes and DJ sets being performed, so long as they're credited and acknowledged in the process.

Also keep in mind that purchasing the music for yourself (iTumors, Bandcamp, physical CD's) is completely different than having the rights to use it in a public performance.

In fact, Uncyclopedia has a wondeful article on Copyright. (I've highlighted the sadly true bits in RED)

Even though it's filled with insane gibberish and crazy claims, if you tone it down a little, most of it is completely true.

Copyright is a legal term that means you have copied something correctly. To copyright© a document is the legal equivalent of vicious apes competing for territory. Even though it's worthless, the biggest and smelliest ape always wins it.

Legal definition

Legally speaking, Copyright© grants the holder several exclusive rights:

• The right to jam the head of any person who duplicates their work into the photocopier.
  • The right to then press the red button on the copier as many times as they want.
  • The right to then copyright© the images of your crushed head
  • For the RIAAMPAA, or FCC to come and {CAKE}-rape you and steal your computer whenever they want.
  • The right to give you paper cuts.
  • This symbol means nothing, and may be ignored at your own risk.

Its Use

People use the copyright logo, ©, in a lot of situations. However, most of the time, it is located in hospital to check your eyesight. You must point to the direction where the © is facing and put your finger in the nurse's pussy. The nurse will get very happy and start having {CAKE} with you.

Obtaining Copyright©

Copyright© automatically applies to all new works. However, in order to enforce the Copyright© on the work, you need to:

• Pay $1,000,000 campaign funds to your favourite politician.
  • File in your favourite court, with your favourite judge, who must be a friend of your favourite politician.
  • Choose your victim. There is no requirement that the victim has ever seen your works before, but they should either have deep pockets (warning: this is not recommended, or you might face legal retaliation) or have shallow pockets, but make a good example in order to remind other people to pay you protection money.
  • Rape Bill Gates (warning: this is not recommended, or you might face legal retaliation)

Note that in order to enforce Copyright, there is no requirement that you actually own the Copyright.

Copyrighted© Music

Remember kids, DOWNLOADING COPYRIGHTED© MUSIC IS ALWAYS GOOD BECAUSE AT AGE 12 YOU WONT HAVE A CREDIT CARD ANYWAY. So just use LimewireBitTorrent, Bearshare, Pedobear share, etc.

Every time you download copyrighted© boo music a kitten is born, whether or not you already have it on a CD, A REAL KITTEN IS BORN!.The trouble is, music industry executives need every kitten they can huff just to live. Therefore, if you download a song (perhaps by humming something you heard on the radio in your head), you must find the kitten and take it home, so he can't eat that day, so he dies. Then the executive will stop passing on his copyright virus too the world. If you download Copyrighted© music, you must find the kittens!!

Copyrighted Tabs

So yeah, the musical copyright© apparently extends to tabs 'n' stuff, which is completely stupid because if it's only the interpretation of whoever writes it, then it's obviously only as illegal© as singing a song. The Governator, who feels very strongly on this issue, has begun hiring men with black suits and AWPs as a means to deal with illegal© tabbers within the comfort of their own homes. Boom, headshot.

Copyrighted© Lyrics

Yup, the lyrics are copyrighted© as well, which not only means you're not allowed to download the lyrics from 

More About Copyrighted Music

It's also illegal© to borrow or lend a CD or other format of music to or from someone, and it's illegal© to play your music loud enough for anyone to hear. It's illegal© to quote something from a song, and that includes putting a song in your instant messenger display name. It is also illegal© to even have a song stuck in your head, the more you think it the more you are using it.

Copyrighted© Heads

It's illegal to remove an artist's head and use it in public, but I think that's more about the murder bit than anything else. Speaking of which...

Copyrighted© Hands and Other Body Parts

I suppose it would be illegal© to use the hands of an artist if you get yourself a snazzy hand transplant, or indeed to use your mouth if you get a face transplant. This world sickens me sometimes

Note: the situation regarding unlicensed copying of non-human body parts seems less clear - fake antlers at Christmas, Devil horns at Halloween, and even whole animal suits at Fancy Dress Parties are common. I doubt whether any of these have permission from the original owners. (I personally know a young Brittany Spaniel who was very distressed to find copies of her ears for sale on the internet...) With the legality of unlicensed ear copying in doubt it is no surprise that the mentioned Brittany has hired the famed Barrister B.D. Dexter to pursue her claim and is expecting a large settlement.

Copyrighted© Culture

Culture© in any way cannot be copyrighted, so a bunch of dumb{CAKE} Malaysians tried to claim Indonesia's culture© of traditional dance and weaving, yet the Malaysians claim to be "Truly Asia" and did not even try to copyright the dance footage. This statement is wrong because Malaysia is not Truly Asia, Indonesia are. In fact, Malaysians are "Try-Hard Asia".

Plagiarism

This means to do anything, due to the world being around for several million years, everything you do has been copyrighted as all them fancy ideas you're having are already copyrighted by someone else. The whole world is liable to take fines of an average 2.7 billion dollars after living 12 years of life, the best way to avoid fines is to not think anything and sit on the ground for the rest of your life. Unfortunately, sitting on the ground has already been done, so you're gonna get sued anyways. Also, the act of being sued has been done before, so the lawyer must be sued by someone else, who in turn must be sued by somone else, who in turn must be sued by somone else, who .... you get the point. Society will come to an end and we will all have to commit rash acts of suicide, or destroy the copyright records. But the act of destroying something has alrea - I'm typing. On a keyboard. Been done before. Copyrighted. Clicking submit. ALREADY DONE?! *asplodes*

Wait. So playing music for a small family event is illegal with the music I have?

Numbre

Wait. So playing music for a small family event is illegal with the music I have?

Yes according to the law that the industry's lobbyists managed to get passed.

Yes according to the law that the industry's lobbyists managed to get passed.

But I don't have enough money to buy music. Besides, what are the chances of me getting caught?

Numbre

But I don't have enough money to buy music. Besides, what are the chances of me getting caught?

You're just going to have to use your own judgement.

Then I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Otherwise everyone would have to pay royalties or seek permission every time they put on some music at parties.

If you're still not certain, there might be some members on this forum who work as wedding singers/musicians, or other types of entertainment service providers.  Someone like @jpguitar who I believe works as part of a professional wedding band.  They might be able to provide a better answer.

I wish I could be of more help, as I'm in an even "greyer" area than professional wedding bands.  I am hired to arrange instrumental classical guitar versions of copyrighted songs, which obviously omits lyrics, and strongly "hints" at the vocal melody without singing copyrighted words. 

Here's what I can tell you, which is likely just stating the obvious:  For live performance use, a big issue is with the two major publishing companies, BMI & ASCAP (especially BMI, which owns about 80% of popular recorded, copyrighted music).  All of the venues I perform at publicly (restaurants, bars, wineries, etc) have at some point been contacted by BMI and were ordered to pay an annual fee for artists to perform cover songs at their venue.  If the venue didn't agree, BMI would threaten with legal action.  

However, for private events, a performance at your parent's house (for example) is obviously nowhere on BMI's radar.  Yes, there are ethical issues that come up as far as "is it right or wrong?" with using that music without due credit/compensation to the original artist, but I don't think anyone's going to be cracking down on you (the OP) for doing so at a small, private family event.  

None of this is probably all that helpful, just my 2 cents.