What is it that causes FurMark to be a power virus?

ybriK

What is it that makes FurMark causes higher power draw and higher temperatures for GPUs compared to any video game or synthetic benchmarks? An example I've tested is Valley Benchmark 99% GPU Usage 67C, whereas FurMark 99% GPU Usage 80C. Same monitor resolutions.

My best hypothesis is that their both coded differently. One might be using one thread on a GPU while the other is using the entire GPU.

Brah, do you even Java?

a virus is a program that makes the host replicate the virus. As far as i know furmark dosent do that

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

i think furmark uses parts of the GPU that doesnt increase the % but does increase the tdp . it can be cashe, ram or something similar

We've now got three different subjects going on, an Asian fox and motorbike fetish, two guys talking about Norway invasions and then some other people talking about body building... This thread is turning into a free for all fetish infested Norwegian circle jerk.

a virus is a program that makes the host replicate the virus. As far as i know furmark dosent do that

It's quoted as "power virus" if you google it maybe because it consume/replicates useless information increasing the TDP or something...

Furmark was originally written and designed to maximise the use of the ALU's inside of the GPU cores. Its specifically written to maximise the workload done with as few stalls as possible. As such its one of the few programs that actually really fills the GPUs pipeline of work up and keeps the ALUs running full time for almost every cycle. As a result its usage of the GPU is much higher than the average program that can not utilise the ALUs fully as they take branches (slow) or do calculations not designed around maximising the hardware usage.

The companies called it a power hog but they initially complained about it because it had the ability to actually break their hardware. Neither Nvidia nor AMD had designed their cards to throttle and protect themselves against an efficient GPU program like furmark's and as a result the hardware could be damaged. They both put in a software solution. Nowadays they continue to claim its just a power virus, but the reality is its one of the most efficient uses of a GPU you will find and this just means that if you push to the theoretical throughput of the GPU it will actually throttle because its not capable of sustaining that level of performance.