GPU Usage Dropping to 0% on XFX R9 290 Graphics Card

Go to solution Solved by The Official Czex,

Not that I recall...

How do I uninstall my current driver and reinstall the correct one?

Uninstall then reinstall an older version of Catalyst. 

Hi there,

I'm having performance issues with my XFX R9 290. Particularly massive drops in GFX usage (to 0%), resulting in freezing and atrocious frame drops. 

drt%202015-11-22%2017-27-36-88_zpsrywilg

My first thought was the possibility of thermal throttling, but the temperature of my card never surpasses 70c, averaging around 65c when under load. I've read that the maximum recommended temperature is 95c, so I'm pretty confident that this is not a heat issue.

My CPU is nowhere close to thermal throttling, bringing in a max temperature of only 33c (using the Kraken X61 Water Cooler). 

The memory clock also drops down significantly at the same time the usage drops occur. (I'm using MSI Afterburner to monitor my computer while gaming). 

These issues usually occurs after 5-10 minutes of gaming. If I close the game, then start playing again, I experience no issues until this 5-10 minute mark. These FPS drops make games like Battlefield 4 and Dirt Rally unplayable, as mere seconds make a difference between victory and defeat. 

I'm hoping I can remedy this problem, rather than replace the card. 

I'm currently using the 15.11 Beta drivers.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Intel i9 9900k @ 4.00GHz // NZXT Kraken Z53 // MSI Z390-A PRO // Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 // EVGA RTX 3080 Ti // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 // Crucial MX500 500GB x5 // Seagate FireCuda 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive x2 // Seagate BarraCuda 4TB HDD x2 // NZXT S340 Elite Tempered Glass Mid Tower //

Did you have this issue before using the beta drivers?

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

what cpu/psu?

Sorry, forgot to include my specs.

CPU: AMD FX-6350 w/ Kraken X61 Cooler

MB: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

GFX: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Black Edition Double Dissipation

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Intel i9 9900k @ 4.00GHz // NZXT Kraken Z53 // MSI Z390-A PRO // Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4 // EVGA RTX 3080 Ti // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 // Crucial MX500 500GB x5 // Seagate FireCuda 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive x2 // Seagate BarraCuda 4TB HDD x2 // NZXT S340 Elite Tempered Glass Mid Tower //

Did you have this issue before using the beta drivers?

Not that I recall...

Not that I recall...

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Sorry, forgot to include my specs.

CPU: AMD FX-6350 w/ Kraken X61 Cooler

MB: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB

GFX: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Black Edition Double Dissipation

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

it looks like the fx is keeping your gpu back, since the 380/960 is the maximum recommended card for that cpu. the psu is ok.

try overclocking the cpu and see if there will any differences

The site has changed....

it looks like the fx is keeping your gpu back, since the 380/960 is the maximum recommended card for that cpu. the psu is ok.

try overclocking the cpu and see if there will any differences

I did overclock the CPU to 4.2Ghz, if I remember correctly. There was no difference, and according to MSI Afterburner the CPU never reaches 100% usage, so I doubt there's a bottleneck there.

I just reinstalled the non beta version of Catalyst and the GPU Usage isn't dropping! Thanks for the help!

I'll post more info here if the problem comes back for those of you having this issue...