Developers say that the iPad Pro is being held back by the App Store

Despite the new tablet’s processing power and capabilities, it’s still running on mobile software — and developers aren’t totally convinced the economic incentives exist in the App Store for iOS. In short, they feel they wouldn’t be able to charge users the amounts they normally would for a version of their software that runs on a desktop.

It’s a problem that exists not only around the iPad Pro, but mobile software development in general, and highlights the very real challenges that smaller software companies face when deciding which software platforms to prioritize — especially as mobile tablets and PCs converge.

"Yes, it has a beautiful screen, but there’s more to consider…," Sa said. "Apps on iOS sell for unsustainably low prices due to the lack of trials. We cannot port Sketch to the iPad if we have no reasonable expectation of earning back on our investment."

A trial means there's the option for a consumer to download a free trial of the software before committing to the full price of it — something that is fairly standard for heavy or expensive software downloaded directly from a web browser.

"There’s no way to issue a refund if someone decides they didn’t like it," Sinclair says. "Or, people have a frustration, they go to the App Store, they leave a one-star review and you can’t respond or find out why they’re dissatisfied."

So, unless Apple changes the App Store business model for makers of pro software, what are the solutions for niche app developers weighing the iPad Pro as a new computing platform? For a lot of people, selling hardware while also raising millions in venture capital funding isn’t realistic.

The most obvious solution for pro software developers may be subscription models, or doling out new tools and features as in-app purchases. Bohemian Coding’s Omvlee says for apps like Sketch, that might not work. "Some tools like Microsoft Office or Adobe Creative Cloud have enough force behind them that they can demand this and people, grudgingly, pay it. Many of our customers don’t use Sketch daily, though, and to charge monthly for that is harder to justify," Omvlee says.

Some software makers attempt a combination of paid apps on iOS and paid apps on the web, so they can still take advantage of the giant iOS ecosystem. Animoto has been taking this approach since 2007, charging between $9.99 and $29.99 for its creative video editing software on the web, and offering a free mobile app download with a $4.99 per month in-app subscription through the App Store. Both types of paying customers get advanced software features.

"What we made for the smaller iPad is still going to work on the larger one," Jefferson says. "So there’s a little bit of, ‘Let’s see what adoption of the Pro ends up looking like.’"

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/19/9757516/ipad-pro-apps-pricing-ios-developers-opt-out

Developers are now struggling to figure out how to ship their desktop software into the mobile interface of the iPad Pro.

Most of the apps are costly to make, and shipping them on iOS forces developers into selling the apps for such low prices that will make them lose money.

I'm really hoping that Apple addresses this issue as it entails the very nature of the iPad Pro as a "desktop replacement".

I think the iPad Pro will really be a huge mess if Apple doesn't find a way to change the App Store to benefit developers and creators.

The new iPad is looking more like an amateur among true Pros. 

I've always said that the success of the iPad Pro depends on the devs. However, devs need to figure out how to take advantage of the iPad Pro not the other way around. The same thing happened with the original iPhone. Devs complained that developing for the iPhone was too unfamiliar but eventually gifted devs came around and took advantage of the platform.

Apple would have had a no-brainer purchase (at least for people already invested in the Apple environment) on their hands if they had made it able to run OSX and x86/x86_64 programs. But they didn't, so they don't.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I've always said that the success of the iPad Pro depends on the devs. However, devs need to figure out how to take advantage of the iPad Pro not the other way around. The same thing happened with the original iPhone. Devs complained that developing for the iPhone was too unfamiliar but eventually gifted devs came around and took advantage of the platform.

the kind of software that the i pad pro could run is exspensive to develop and and licenses cost $100's of dollars for the desktop. having to sell that kind of software through a store and not through your own website is offputting because it takes it out of your hands. Not to mention the cost of rewriting for ios and then not having enough people who are going to buy it. The issue is that professional software is something people buy there computer for. eg i buy a desktop with x specs so i can run Computer simulations for aerodynamics and structural analysis. Im not going to buy an ipad pro and hope the software gets ported over and the companies are not going to port it over when theres no user base. 

Basically once you hit professional level software you are buying your pc for your software not the other way round

the kind of software that the i pad pro could run is exspensive to develop and and licenses cost $100's of dollars for the desktop. having to sell that kind of software through a store and not through your own website is offputting because it takes it out of your hands. Not to mention the cost of rewriting for ios and then not having enough people who are going to buy it. The issue is that professional software is something people buy there computer for. eg i buy a desktop with x specs so i can run Computer simulations for aerodynamics and structural analysis. Im not going to buy an ipad pro and hope the software gets ported over and the companies are not going to port it over when theres no user base. 

Basically once you hit professional level software you are buying your pc for your software not the other way round

Then you are not the target market. 

Then you are not the target market. 

But then who IS the target market for the iPad Pro, if it isn't people who want to run professional grade software on it? People that want to watch movies on a bigger screen without it being a laptop? People that want to play iOS games on a bigger screen? People who need more screen real estate for facebook messenger? Because while the iPad Pro remains on iOS, that's all it is good for. Everything else can be achieved for the same price with equal or better performance on a Macbook (not to mention that you can actually run non-toy applications on a Macbook).

The iPad Pro is just a big, expensive toy. You can do "toy" stuff on it. You can't work on it because the programs you NEED won't run on it (and likely won't ever run on it).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Apple would have had a no-brainer purchase (at least for people already invested in the Apple environment) on their hands if they had made it able to run OSX and x86/x86_64 programs. But they didn't, so they don't.

Spot on.

A Tablet for creativity and work they said.

No access to your own file system?

A Harddrive that can BARLY fit productivity software, let alone anything you create?

Apple dropped the ball on this one. Who in their right mind would take an iPad pro over a Surface Pro 4 or a Surface Book? Both offer way more storage, performance AND you are free to use your own damn files. You know... all of the things you need to do your daily job well.

The biggest bottleneck on all of Apples products is the OS.

But for the iPad Pro that in addition to not having access to any useful professional software is just brutal.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

But then who IS the target market for the iPad Pro, if it isn't people who want to run professional grade software on it? People that want to watch movies on a bigger screen without it being a laptop? People that want to play iOS games on a bigger screen? People who need more screen real estate for facebook messenger? Because while the iPad Pro remains on iOS, that's all it is good for. Everything else can be achieved for the same price with equal or better performance on a Macbook (not to mention that you can actually run non-toy applications on a Macbook).

The iPad Pro is just a big, expensive toy. You can do "toy" stuff on it. You can't work on it because the programs you NEED won't run on it (and likely won't ever run on it).

I have to agree. The Surface Pro line got successful because of Windows and the powerful specs (I mean considering the device form factor) which allows to run professional software.

The Surface 1 and 2, failed miserably because of Windows RT. Despite supporting the same Windows APIs to make app development for Windows RT easy, there was no interest. The locked down environment made it look like a mobile OS, and so the apps where just not there. There is no reason to develop an app for it. If you are going to sell an app at 0.99$, then you bet on mass, large scale users buying it and make your money. As the user base of Windows RT is super slim, it doesn't push dev to put any effort in it.

The Surface 3 (non-Pro), is doing OK, but not great, mostly due to the weak hardware specs for professional software. It doesn't help that it is not very competitively priced either, making most consumer just cash out the extra get the low end Pro and ensures themselves a perfect, smooth experience, even if they just use it for note taking.

The biggest bottleneck on all of Apples products is the OS.

But for the iPad Pro that in addition to not having access to any useful professional software is just brutal.

Not their laptops. OSX is very powerful.

ipad pro is being held back by ios

It's being held back by the app store and the fact that it's running a mobile OS? No shit.

Yeah, is anyone honestly surprised about this? I've been calling it since it was announced. The ipad pro is completely crippled by this and the complete lack of ports and interfaces of any description (without using clunky, expensive and mutually exclusive adapters). In my opinion pure tablets should not cost above 400 bucks, because above that you can get a decent x86 convertible that is a lot more flexible and serviceable. For 300 bucks you can get an asus t100ta, which while being less powerful than the ipad pro and not having an equally good screen and pen support will run the adobe crative suite natively and provide a better keyboard included in the price, not as a 170$ add-on (and a worse one at that).

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Spot on.

A Tablet for creativity and work they said.

No access to your own file system?

A Harddrive that can BARLY fit productivity software, let alone anything you create?

Apple dropped the ball on this one. Who in their right mind would take an iPad pro over a Surface Pro 4 or a Surface Book? Both offer way more storage, performance AND you are free to use your own damn files. You know... all of the things you need to do your daily job well.

To be fair, the surface book is... well, not exceptionally good to put it kindly. Too many problems on launch, insufficient power for the price, and damn, it's expensive as hell.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

To be fair, the surface book is... well, not exceptionally good to put it kindly. Too many problems on launch, insufficient power for the price, and damn, it's expensive as hell.

The Surface Pro 4, which is the main competition for the iPad Pro, however, is superior. And both the Surface Book and Surface Pro can install every "work" application on the market, because they run a desktop OS and have x86/64 processors.

All the problems reported have been fixed. They were mostly due to the use of latest hardware, with 1st release of manufacture drivers. Late reviewers (those that had to buy the device, and not have Microsoft send an early system), report a fine experience. Is it perfect? Nothing is perfect, but it is a fairly solid experience now.

You don't buy a Surface line product for the best deal. In fact, the price is not too good for what you get in terms of specs only. You have premium material, unique looking system (yes that cost money, as it involves designers, and many prototypes, and such), high quality parts, and, well a unique system (GPU on keyboard). The system also comes junk free (that cost more, as your don't have the ad revenue from these apps installed by the manufacture to help drop the price of the syste,), and way better consumer after sale service / warranty service than any other OEM company on the PC side. I wont' say it is Logitech or even Apple quality service, but better than Acer, Dell (Home), HP, Lenovo, etc.

The system is not a gaming system. The point of the Nvidia GPU, is CUDA, proper DirectCompute and proper OpenCL support to help demanding programs get a performance boost from the dual core CPU, for those that can do take advantage of this. Gives you support to drive any software without crashing due to the shit quality Intel drivers, and you have a small (more than minor) performance boost over Intel Iris Pro GPU. So in other words, if you want a Surface Pro, but seek GPU acceleration from your demanding professional grade software, the Surface Book is interesting choice.

Yeah, is anyone honestly surprised about this? I've been calling it since it was announced. The ipad pro is completely crippled by this and the complete lack of ports and interfaces of any description (without using clunky, expensive and mutually exclusive adapters). In my opinion pure tablets should not cost above 400 bucks, because above that you can get a decent x86 convertible that is a lot more flexible and serviceable. For 300 bucks you can get an asus t100ta, which while being less powerful than the ipad pro and not having an equally good screen and pen support will run the adobe crative suite natively and provide a better keyboard included in the price, not as a 170$ add-on (and a worse one at that).

The iPad Pro is a device without an audience. It's too big to be a regular tablet and it's too limited to be a real productivity device. I mean, sure, it's got 4GB DDR4 RAM. But is iOS ever gonna use that 4GB RAM? Probably not.

It sounds good and all on paper, but without a proper OS it's terrible. That is why the Surface Pro is so successful, because it's not limited to a mobile OS. It's a real "pro" device, not the iPad "Pro".

The iPad Pro is a device without an audience. It's too big to be a regular tablet and it's too limited to be a real productivity device. I mean, sure, it's got 4GB DDR4 RAM. But is iOS ever gonna use that 4GB RAM? Probably not.

It sounds good and all on paper, but without a proper OS it's terrible. That is why the Surface Pro is so successful, because it's not limited to a mobile OS. It's a real "pro" device, not the iPad "Pro".

iOS won't but apps will. I remember back when Infinity Blade 3 came out. It ate as much RAM is the device had. 

Of course it is, its going to take time for software to come out for it - I could have told you this myself

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii