3.5 audio jack not working in Windows 8

Slurhn

Starting off, it is a notebook from ASUS, the s300ca with standard Realtek audio and Win 8. It worked perfectly fine before through audio jack, and it still does on speakers.

The problem arises when I plug anything into the audio jack (I've tried diffrent headsets and earbuds).

Since audio stopped working I have done two things:

1. I've plugged in a monitor through HDMI, and used it's speakers through HDMI Audio (not the jack)
  2. I've installed Fedora on a seperate partition.

I've tried:

1. Reinstalling drivers (twice)
  2. Rebooting (four times at least)
  3. Uninstalling Fedora (which DID NOT WORK. I need an MBR fix for that -.-) <- this might still be a possibility.

I will try after posting this:

1. Listining through HDMI, to see whether that works
  2. Checking whether the Audio jack works in Fedora.

Other errors on the notebook:

1. Right edge swipe does not work with touch, but it does with mouse
  2. Windows update does not want to download updates, even with Internet Explorer turned on. (it is possible to turn IE off, but not uninstall it)

If you need any additional details, just ask for them.

P.S.: I also just moved out of Canada, so there is no going to a relaiable retailer/repair shop. I'm in a 2nd tier country, and do not know anyone trust worthy that could repair ASUS notebooks.

Update 11:16 2013/08/22:

1. HDMI audio works fine
  2. I have just checked on Fedora, and the audio jack works fine. There is only a problem in Win8.
  3. In other words: it is not a hardware issue.

your problem is windows 8 put windows 7 on lol 

anyway sounds like i hardware problem to me, if its still in warranty you could send it back to asus and see if they could fix it

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

I have just checked on Fedora, and the audio jack works fine. There is only a problem in Win8.

So it is not a hardware issue. And I need Win8.1 for increased battery life, soabandoning Win8 is not exactly an option.

I have just checked on Fedora, and the audio jack works fine. There is only a problem in Win8.

So it is not a hardware issue. And I need Win8.1 for increased battery life, soabandoning Win8 is not exactly an option.

ok i would go into windows and make sure your audio jack is set as default.

you can do this by right clicking the volume control on your desktop and selecting playback device one there you should see something like headphones or speakers right click that and select set as default device. i have this problem when i go from hdmi to vga windows continues to use hdmi and not 3.5mm jack

let us know if this fixes your problem

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

As stated above, This sounds like your defaulted playback is simply set to your HDMI audio and not the standed audio device your laptop comes shipped with. If one just changes his/her default playback device to that, then he/she should be a happy chap.

I am fairly sure that windows changes the default device atuomatically to the Jack after unplugging HDMI.

Plugged in a monitor and set the speakers to default manualy, and it still does not work :(.

One thing to note: The onboard speakers work, windows shows that sound is "flowing" when headphones are plugged, I just can't hear anything.

(max volume in application and windows, multiple headsets and earbuds)

This is really wierd :wacko: .

To be precise:

Speakers - work great, everything is fine

Headphones - speakers get turned off, yet there still is no sound in the headphones.

So the audio jack started to work randomly...

I will post if anything changes for future reference.