Graphics card unplugs? bad fps on Black Ops 3? GTX 860 M

PampaZiya

Hello, I've been having a weird problem for along time and nothing fixed it on my laptop. It's ASUS G551JM with GTX860M, whenever I play League of Legends, after I finish the game, the screen stutters then my GTX is like unplugged, if I immediately try to play another game it will say I don't have a directx compatible graphics card, I'll have to restart. I can't even get into the Geforce control panel.

I tried rolling back drivers, new drivers, reinstalling everything, disabling it and uninstallling EVERYTHING and then fresh driver install and still.. 

Also on youtube people are getting some good fps on Black Ops 3 where I got 50 sometimes less sometimes more on low everything with everything disabled and on 90% scale... ? The game doesn't even have the "wow" graphics, looks good but not THAT much.. Especially considering I run BF4 on 60fps+ with way bigger maps on medium~high settings. (Yes I got the Black Ops 3 drivers installed) but the game is just unplayable.. 

I bought it over Battlefront for the better fps since it's small maps game with pretty much not that huge landscapes like in BF4 or battlefront, which actually on battlefront i got 60fps on low.. 

Hello, I've been having a weird problem for along time and nothing fixed it on my laptop. It's ASUS G551JM with GTX860M, whenever I play League of Legends, after I finish the game, the screen stutters then my GTX is like unplugged, if I immediately try to play another game it will say I don't have a directx compatible graphics card, I'll have to restart. I can't even get into the Geforce control panel.

I tried rolling back drivers, new drivers, reinstalling everything, disabling it and uninstallling EVERYTHING and then fresh driver install and still.. 

Also on youtube people are getting some good fps on Black Ops 3 where I got 50 sometimes less sometimes more on low everything with everything disabled and on 90% scale... ? The game doesn't even have the "wow" graphics, looks good but not THAT much.. Especially considering I run BF4 on 60fps+ with way bigger maps on medium~high settings. (Yes I got the Black Ops 3 drivers installed) but the game is just unplayable.. 

I bought it over Battlefront for the better fps since it's small maps game with pretty much not that huge landscapes like in BF4 or battlefront, which actually on battlefront i got 60fps on low.. 

How did you uninstall your drivers?

How did you uninstall your drivers?

Device manager > uninstall > downloaded latest from nvidia site

Device manager > uninstall > downloaded latest from nvidia site

Never update notebook gpu drivers please. Use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller). It wil ask you to boot into safemode to uninstall them. After you uninstalled the drivers go back into normal mode and reïnstall the specific drivers from the Nvidia's website. You could also try to run MalwareBytes to see if there are any malware threats detected on your computer. Big thanks to @boboman342 because got the most information from him.

The fuck are you talking about? Updating notebook GPU drivers works just fine. The problem is nVidia is making shit drivers, and if something breaks, using a method other than DDU is unlikely to fix the break. If your drivers happen to be working fine, a custom install un-ticking whatever you don't need (like HD audio) is just fine. A clean install isn't even needed.

I always updated my notebook GPU drivers when needed. It was getting worse everytime I updated them. I did exactly what @PampaZiya did and it didn't help. Then @boboman342 helped me out and it worked.

While the drivers are a major offender I believe something else happens - a bad thing - Asus happens...

I was looking into that laptop when getting my Lenovo - the default Bios is locked at 74*C max temp for the GPU - thus when you reach 74*C the 860M downclocks to 400MHz making the gaming experience absurdly bad - check your temps and clockspeeds via GPU-Z. I believe there are 2 other Bioses - the Asus one that raises it to 78*C and the community one that sets it to 82*C - both found on the RoG forums.

That might be it, its almost all the time greater than 70..

Can u link me plzz??

That might be it, its almost all the time greater than 70..

Can u link me plzz??

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?64295-G551JW-GPU-throttle-at-74-degree-celsius

That's the JW - you have the JM so do some research - not sure if both have it.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?64295-G551JW-GPU-throttle-at-74-degree-celsius

That's the JW - you have the JM so do some research - not sure if both have it.

The first comment says that he has 860M and it's at 83 degrees. Just tested with BF4, the memory clock was at 1-2.5k and the core clock was steady on 1k all the time with temps 75 degrees ~ so I guess that wasn't the problem.

The first comment says that he has 860M and it's at 83 degrees. Just tested with BF4, the memory clock was at 1-2.5k and the core clock was steady on 1k all the time with temps 75 degrees ~ so I guess that wasn't the problem.

The Beta Bios lifts the limit to 82*C but it's a beta :)

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

The Beta Bios lifts the limit to 82*C but it's a beta :)

How do I make sure it's not thermal throttling? The clocks didn't go down

How do I make sure it's not thermal throttling? The clocks didn't go down

open GPU-Z

load up the August WHQL drives like @D2ultima said

play a game until the issue appears

minimize

look at the clocks GPU-Z is registering.

Please keep posts on topic with the thread and help the user.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Please keep posts on topic with the thread and help the user.

Thank you! And my problem is still not yet fixed. ;/

Thank you! And my problem is still not yet fixed. ;/

Did you try the drivers from the Asus product page yet? It sounds like your 860m and igpu are having trouble switching back and forth.

I would try the windows 8.1 Intel and Nvidia VGA drivers from your laptops driver download page. If those fix the problem, try updating the Nvidia driver again from Nvidia's website to get more performance.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Did you try the drivers from the Asus product page yet? It sounds like your 860m and igpu are having trouble switching back and forth.

I would try the windows 8.1 Intel and Nvidia VGA drivers from your laptops driver download page. If those fix the problem, try updating the Nvidia driver again from Nvidia's website to get more performance.

Hello, I checked the asus product page and there's no drivers for the display. Just utilities for the pad or mouse or BIOS.

I also tried DDU then installing the latest driver from nvidia's website and still same thing. However, the fps is only bad in Black Ops 3 which is so weird since BF4 has way bigger environment and so does battlefront, i could play both on low+abit of medium at 60gps on 100%. Black Ops 3 is 40-50fps on low (With freakin 90%. scale..)

I will try putting my global settings to Geforce only and see if the weird thing happening when i end a game is still happening.