Impact of memory speed on gaming performance

I am well aware of the sorcery Alex and Bullant are doing on their kits. However, i am absolutely terrified to try that voltage on my setup. I am going to wait until i see what kind of impact that high vDIMM will have on this cheap PANRAM kit of memory that i have. Once i get my hands on the 32GB (2x16GB) of ram i need for my ITX board, i might torture this PANRAM kit for the fun of it. Until then, i will play it safe.

You probably have some low end Hynix IC in your kit probably, 1.5v shouldn't do much as long as you have a fan pointed at them and DEFINITELY not for 24/7.

These new Samsung TridentZ kits are taking volts like nobodies business, its nuts!

Did you see what Strat was doing on his new impact board?

absolutely fucking mind boggling shit like 4200 mhz C11 @1.9v

He said same settings on gene & extreme boards were only getting him ~4000

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

You probably have some low end Hynix IC in your kit probably, 1.5v shouldn't do much as long as you have a fan pointed at them and DEFINITELY not for 24/7.

These new Samsung TridentZ kits are taking volts like nobodies business, its nuts!

Did you see what Strat was doing on his new impact board?

absolutely fucking mind boggling shit like 4200 mhz C11 @1.9v

Well, my hardware is in an ITX case with little airflow. In fact, i will be building a sub 4L case to fit an i7, 32gb of memory, and a GTX 980 Ti (or better, depending on when Pascall comes out) to fit it all in. I can't go nuts on the memory, as it won't be cooled that well at all. Besides, getting 16GB DIMMS beyond 3200mhz will be a lottery in and of itself, lol.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Well, my hardware is in an ITX case with little airflow. In fact, i will be building a sub 4L case to fit an i7, 32gb of memory, and a GTX 980 Ti (or better, depending on when Pascall comes out) to fit it all in. I can't go nuts on the memory, as it won't be cooled that well at all. Besides, getting 16GB DIMMS beyond 3200mhz will be a lottery in and of itself, lol.

dude, go AMD Nano for the lulz

dude, go AMD Nano for the lulz

I am waiting on Arctic Islands/Pascal. I am buying the GPU last. Before i get a GPU, i will get a 6700k, 32gb of memory (2x16GB, ain't decided on brand just yet) and a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro. I also need FSP to finish contacting me about a 500w platinum PSU to use, so i can fit everything in such a tiny space. Once all of that is finished, i'll get the biggest and baddest single GPU that the PSU/case can handle, and hopefully take the title of "most performance per cubic inch" in an ITX build. 

I am waiting on Arctic Islands/Pascal. I am buying the GPU last. Before i get a GPU, i will get a 6700k, 32gb of memory (2x16GB, ain't decided on brand just yet) and a 512GB Samsung 950 Pro. I also need FSP to finish contacting me about a 500w platinum PSU to use, so i can fit everything in such a tiny space. Once all of that is finished, i'll get the biggest and baddest single GPU that the PSU/case can handle, and hopefully take the title of "most performance per cubic inch" in an ITX build. 

would be more fun to put a FX 9590 inside a 4L case.....

you could set the record for fastest incineration of case by CPU fire.

would be more fun to put a FX 9590 inside a 4L case.....

you could set the record for fastest incineration of case by CPU fire.

No AM3+ ITX boards exist. Even if they do, they would more than likely not exceed 125w CPU's. Such a build would be impossible.

I understand you are joking, but i wanted to point it out because i have been into ITX builds for a long time, and tried to find an AM3+ ITX board, and failed. I did think about doing X99 ITX, but the only ITX X99 board was that Asrock board with the proprietary heatsink design. It's way too tall to fit in the case dimensions i need. Otherwise, i would totally wait for the 10 core, 20 thread Broadwell-E CPU's, and a Pascal/Arctic Islands x2 GPU to put in an ITX case. I would have to rig up some redundant server PSU's to work in that case, but i would move heaven and earth to make that happen.

• 2 months later...

I'm still within safe volts for the 5 Ghz, only 1.335v :P

Although this chip is super above average lol

I can't even get 4.7 Ghz stable with 1.36 volts...

ffs

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

I can't even get 4.7 Ghz stable with 1.36 volts...

ffs

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na  Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Necrooooo! 

Though, I did intend on trying to update the information in this thread eventually with results from my i5. Kinda conflicted on how I should proceed at this point.

Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na  Na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na Necrooooo! 

Though, I did intend on trying to update the information in this thread eventually with results from my i5. Kinda conflicted on how I should proceed at this point.

What the hell? How is this possible? This showed up in my recent post tabs... wtf... there is something wrong... It was in the new post tabs.....

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6700K 4.7GHz GPU: GTX 980 STRIX 1337MHz CPU Cooler: H110i GTX AIO |

Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR | Case: NZXT H440 White PSU: CS750W |

PCPartPicker Link: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/43BkVn 

Does anyone have Broadwell, and is it possible to disable the 128 MB Crystalwell L4 Cache?

Any PSU is modular if you try hard enough....

• 1 year later...

I should probably OC my RAM then, this 6500 doesn't help much in some games....

1 minute ago, Bubblewhale said:

I should probably OC my RAM then, this 6500 doesn't help much in some games....

If you need help with that, let me know. However, if your sig is accurate, you might have two conflicting IC's (Crucial is 100% Micron, G-Skill can be Micron, Hynix or Samsung) so you might end up being limited on max clock speeds. You are also going to be running in flex channel (1x4gb + 1x8gb). Just let me know if you need a hand overclocking those sticks.

1 minute ago, MageTank said:

If you need help with that, let me know. However, if your sig is accurate, you might have two conflicting IC's (Crucial is 100% Micron, G-Skill can be Micron, Hynix or Samsung) so you might end up being limited on max clock speeds. You are also going to be running in flex channel (1x4gb + 1x8gb). Just let me know if you need a hand overclocking those sticks.

I might be planning on ditching the 4GB stick if i need do, but I think I should be able to reach 2800/3000 with some OC on the Crucial. 

My main goal would be getting a 7700K, but OC RAM would be the objective for now. 

CLs are different on both sticks

CL15 on GSkill

CL16 on Crucial

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2017 at 5:50 PM, MageTank said:

I'd ended up getting a 2x8GB 3200MHZ set(15-15-15-35), Forza was giving me too many issues with my ram speed. Not very fun with ram running at CL17 2448. 

1 hour ago, Bubblewhale said:

I'd ended up getting a 2x8GB 3200MHZ set(15-15-15-35), Forza was giving me too many issues with my ram speed. Not very fun with ram running at CL17 2448. 

Nice. That's not bad at all for an XMP set. They probably have some overclocking headroom in them as well, if you ever get bored enough to try. Either way, that should be plenty fast for gaming (doesn't scale much higher than 3200 for Intel chips). 

Just now, MageTank said:

Nice. That's not bad at all for an XMP set. They probably have some overclocking headroom in them as well, if you ever get bored enough to try. Either way, that should be plenty fast for gaming (doesn't scale much higher than 3200 for Intel chips). 

I might try for 14-14-14-34, it's TridentZ so should have some headroom for overclocking. 

You could take an example from this...hoping for better mins as Forza Horizon 3 is heavily relied on RAM speed.

RAM.png