AMD Gets CUDA Compiler, Going All-In on HPC in 2016-2017

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9792/amd-sc15-boltzmann-initiative-announced-c-and-cuda-compilers-for-amd-gpus

Called the Boltzmann Initiative, AMD is overhauling their entire approach to HPC, especially when it comes to GPGPU acceleration. Today AMD announced it will be implementing CUDA, OpenMP, C++ compilation for its GPUs.

Last but certainly not least in the Boltzmann Initiative is AMD’s effort to fully extend a bridge into the world of CUDA developers. With HCC to bring AMD’s programming environment more on par with what CUDA developers expect, AMD realizes that just being as good as NVIDIA won’t always be good enough, that developers accustomed to the syntax of CUDA won’t want to change, and that CUDA won’t be going anywhere anytime soon. The solution to that problem is the Heterogeneous-compute Interface for Portability, otherwise known as HIP, which gives CUDA developers the tools they need to easily move over to AMD GPUs.

The potential boost this brings to AMD's compute performance (as OpenCL is historically a fair deal worse than CUDA in the same workloads, be it for drivers or other reasons) is quite large, especially since theoretically AMD's FirePros have the compute advantage. At least now the cost of switching to AMD will be decreased for the HPC community: less libraries to rewrite, inter-architectural compatibility, etc..)

It seems AMD has finally come to its senses about programming standards that have proven more effective than OpenCL. The implications for this are actually great for AMD's gaming prospects too since so much of advanced PhysX is based in CUDA, giving AMD far better access than ever before to Nvidia's feature sets.

Being able to compile C++ code directly to the GPU will also save a ton in development time and skill ramp up for new developers.

Finally the red team sees reason... Maybe there is hope.

EDIT: while not stated in the article itself, I'm pretty sure the only way you can have a commercially used cross-compiler for CUDA is to have a CUDA license. It's a derived fact, not one provided in stone.

Edited by Godlygamer23
Edited title.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It's a good thing - they are now supporting both.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I don't think they're going to be abandoning OpenCL any time soon, this does give Devs more options. I'd beinterested to see how AMD cards stack up for CUDA performance, as it is well known that although they are comparable for graphics performance, AMD dominates Nvidia in terms of OpenCL performance.

I'm also intrigued about the C++ compilation, as C++ isn't natively multithreaded, and multithreading must be manually implented by the programmer.

I dont know exactly what his means, but I think its good.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

Took their sweet, sweet time that's for sure. Well, a step in the right direction, no doubt about that.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

It's not that OpenCL was weak, it was that no one implemented it.

Either way, this isn't a good sign.

insert joke about nvidia not supporting opencl here

Intel's Xeon Phi do, and they're far more popular than FirePros in the HPC world.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

To be honest, at this point Nvidia should just give AMD CUDA & PhysX licenses for free. It would only serve to improve everyone's experience by unifying the technology across all devices.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I don't think they're going to be abandoning OpenCL any time soon, this does give Devs more options. I'd beinterested to see how AMD cards stack up for CUDA performance, as it is well known that although they are comparable for graphics performance, AMD dominates Nvidia in terms of OpenCL performance.

I'm also intrigued about the C++ compilation, as C++ isn't natively multithreaded, and multithreading must be manually implented by the programmer.

Where have you been? Native multithreading's been here since C++11.

Compiler flag -D_GLIBCXX_PARALLEL https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/parallel_mode.html

To be honest, at this point Nvidia should just give AMD CUDA & PhysX licenses for free. It would only serve to improve everyone's experience by unifying the technology across all devices.

But then they'd have to optimize their blackbox libraries - god forbid that!

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Nvidia offered CUDA for free several times. AMD turned its nose up at supporting a proprietary standard. Now it seems finally someone has a lick of sense.

Source: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/82264-why-wont-ati-support-cuda-and-physx

AMD/ATI's problem has always been the "Nvidia isn't very collaborative" argument, and frankly that's BS to me.

But then they'd have to optimize their blackbox libraries - god forbid that!

They aren't black box. Anyone with a brain and llvm can crack them wide open via disassembly and decompiling.

Nvidia offered CUDA for free several times. AMD turned its nose up at supporting a proprietary standard. Now it seems finally someone has a lick of sense.

I love you too honey

citationneeded.png?resize=321%2C271

They aren't black box. Anyone with a brain and llvm can crack them wide open via disassembly and decompiling.

That's Illegal hun

That's Illegal hun

No it's not. It's illegal to publish that code. Someone needs to read the licenses more carefully.

Didn't Nvidia already partially open source Gameworks or was I imagining things? I thought I'd read that they no longer forbid devs from passing on Game Works source code and were allowing AMD access to the code to prove they were not sabotaging AMD devices.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Didn't Nvidia already partially open source Gameworks or was I imagining things? I thought I'd read that they no longer forbid devs from passing on Game Works source code and were allowing AMD access to the code to prove they were not sabotaging AMD devices.

They open-sourced CPU-based PhysX, not GPU-based.

If devs pay, yes.

This is really good for us consumers, more competition = lower prices!

Early 2020 Build : Intel i7 8700k // MSI Krait Z370 // Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Aorus 5700 XT // NZXT H500 

Early 2019 Build : Ryzen 2600X // Asus Tuff X470 // G.Skill Trident Z RGB 8x2 16GB // MSI RTX 2070 // NZXT H500 

Late 2017 Build : Intel i7 8700k // Asus Prime Z370-A // G.Skill Trident Z 8x2 16GB // EVGA GTX 1080 Ti  // NZXT S320 Elite 

Late 2015 Build : Intel i7 6700k // Asus Maximus VI Gene Z170 //  Corsair LPX 8x2 16GB // Gigabyte GTX 970 // Corsair Air 240

this may not have any implication on the PC gaming market unless AMD goes the full length and gets GPU Physx for the Radeon

as is stands, AMD looks really interested in the HPC segment

this may not have any implication on the PC gaming market unless AMD goes the full length and gets GPU Physx for the Radeon

as is stands, AMD looks really interested in the HPC segment

GPU PhysX is purely CUDA code. They don't need a separate license to be able to support it.

Did they really get a CUDA license? The way I read it, it's just a compiler that will accept CUDA code (i.e. it ports CUDA code to something else). On top of that, it says "simplify porting from CUDA to HIP" which to me means "developers will still have to rework their CUDA code to make it work on AMD".

I don't think you need a CUDA license to do this.

Edit (after reading the announcement):

The announcement does not mention AMD getting a license either. The article on Anandtech even clarifies this by saying:

To be clear here, HIP is not a means for AMD GPUs to run compiled CUDA programs. CUDA is and remains an NVIDIA technology. But HIP is the means for source-to-source translation, so that developers will have a far easier time targeting AMD GPUs.

CUDA is NVIDIA’s, through and through, and it does make one wonder whether NVIDIA would try to sue AMD for implementing the CUDA API without NVIDIA’s permission, particularly in light of the latest developments in the Oracle vs. Google case on the Java API.

Pretty cool news though. I don't think it will have a big effect on the consumer market but it might help AMD in the HPC market.

interesting, I wonder if any of the current and previous gpu lineups going to support it

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18