Intel & AMD, Architectural Discussion, How Far Ahead Is Intel ?

I've been completely overwhelmed by the amount of positive feedback you guys have given me, thank you so much @Cobalt @SpenceSouth @Matman24 @James_AJ @Vitalius @brownninja97 @marto @simtransporter @Tonny @jbro1232 @CwGoh @JHurley747 @SkulD @xAcid9 @Glenwing @leipero & everyone else !

funny since I can't even see my own reply to this thread (maybe it's deleted by a mod, maybe it's an error. Who knows)!

But this thread is awesome. And should be pinned.

This has been the most informative thread I've read on the forums. Very thorough and easy to read. And I learned something new.(which is always a good thing)

So this is why AMD plans to abandon the FX line of processors... AMD preparing for the future so that maybe they can dominate or at least stay even with Intel is awesome. Slowly but surely, things are looking up for AMD. Game engines like CryEngine3 which is very multithreaded optimized and streaming/recording becoming huge, AMD can still and will fight xD

So this is why AMD plans to abandon the FX line of processors... AMD preparing for the future so that maybe they can dominate or at least stay even with Intel is awesome. Slowly but surely, things are looking up for AMD. Game engines like CryEngine3 which is very multithreaded optimized and streaming/recording becoming huge, AMD can still and will fight xD

Feels good doesn't it? These last few years with Intel constantly dominating felt like the dark ages :)

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

Wow, I wasn't excepting that, AMD reallly has a BIG, BIG, BIG plan running in the background, APU, ATI, they all add up if you think it

Kaveri could even jump to middle-high range and use full-power steamroller cores, I guess even the rumor of them abandoning FX and AM3+ makes total sense now, and Gigabyte releasing some pretty high-end FM2+ boards (they higest end I have seen in an APU platform at the day), call me conspiracy crazy, but all of this, this is gonna be so ridiculously awesome.

In the end AMD is looking for the long run, so awesome!!

With those high end looking FM2+ motherboards, the chances of the FM2+ platform to be a performance platform is not so far fetched. Fingers crossed AMD pulls through! >_<

I have to commend you for the fantastic work that you've done, this piece rivals articles from the likes of Tom's Hardware & Anandtech, thumbs up !

I have to commend you for the fantastic work that you've done, this piece rivals articles from the likes of Tom's Hardware & Anandtech, thumbs up !

No, I think you're being too generous, thanks for the kind words, glad you've enjoyed it.

No, I think you're being too generous, thanks for the kind words, glad you've enjoyed it.

AT the very least your article is comparable to them :)

Such an interesting article, I've learned a lot over AMD and Intel architecture. Thank you TechFan@ic for doing this, keep it up with these articles  :)

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

I would love to see how the 6800k from AMD would preform with Adata 8GB 3100 Mhz kit. Basing my knowledge from Tek Syndicates test with 2400mhz, it would be ridiculous. Though the kit cost $1000.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211804

Unfortunately Richland only supports up to 2133mhz natively & can be pushed up to 2400mhz on the very high-end boards.

DDR4 however that would be very exciting, we might see that in 2015 with AMD's Carrizo APU, we'll definitely see it with Intel's Haswell-E.

Such an interesting article, I've learned a lot over AMD and Intel architecture. Thank you TechFan@ic for doing this, keep it up with these articles  :)

Thank you for stopping by, I might do a CUDA & GCN comparison article, just waiting for Volcanic Islands/9000 series to be released.

Thank you for stopping by, I might do a CUDA & GCN comparison article, just waiting for Volcanic Islands/9000 series to be released.

Awesome and you've just got all my attention for these upcoming articles \(^o^)/

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

Unfortunately Richland only supports up to 2133mhz natively & can be pushed up to 2400mhz on the very high-end boards.

DDR4 however that would be very exciting, we might see that in 2015 with AMD's Carrizo APU, we'll definitely see it with Intel's Haswell-E.

The 9000 series cards are going to be amazing. Though won't the first iteration of DDR4 have high latency when compared to current DDR3 modules. Kinda like how DDR5 of GPU have high latency but every generation of cards that come out seem to reduce that. But in all epicness, I'm pretty sure that AMD is going to use a lot of the experience and knowledge they got from making the apus for the consoles. And just on a very bold longshot, what if, bare with me...................what if they used the volcanic islands architecture in some sort of iteration on next-gen desktop apus. MINDBLOWN!

Also can't wait to see you comparison on CUDA & GCN. 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

The 9000 series cards are going to be amazing. Though won't the first iteration of DDR4 have high latency when compared to current DDR3 modules. Kinda like how DDR5 of GPU have high latency but every generation of cards that come out seem to reduce that. But in all epicness, I'm pretty sure that AMD is going to use a lot of the experience and knowledge they got from making the apus for the consoles. And just on a very bold longshot, what if, bare with me...................what if they used the volcanic islands architecture in some sort of iteration on next-gen desktop apus. MINDBLOWN!

Also can't wait to see you comparison on CUDA & GCN. 

Indeed latency is becoming a serious problem, the higher the RAM speeds the more it requires to run at those speeds, I personally think DDR4 will probably the last DDR memory we're going to see, things like HMC will eventually take over.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Volcanic Island's architecture implemented in future APUs, that's very likely to happen.

Indeed latency is becoming a serious problem, the higher the RAM speeds the more it requires to run at those speeds, I personally think DDR4 will probably the last DDR memory we're going to see, things like HMC will eventually take over.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Volcanic Island's architecture implemented in future APUs, that's very likely to happen.

HMC looks extremely promising right now plus once business and servers solution of it become more affordable, then the consumer solutions would come very soon after. Plus Samsung is working a new way to make nand flash. 

rawr!! I'm a ferret!

Very good article and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Nice work without being Biased to either of architecture.

Indeed latency is becoming a serious problem, the higher the RAM speeds the more it requires to run at those speeds, I personally think DDR4 will probably the last DDR memory we're going to see, things like HMC will eventually take over.

I too think memory cubes are the future... just not in the next 2-3 years, but soon enough.

Intel 4770k@4.6GHz, ASUS ROG Maximus VI Hero, Kingston HyperX Beast 2x8GB 2400MHz CL11, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming, Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB - RAID0 (2x120Gb), 2xWD 1TB (Blue and Green), Corsair H100i, Corsair AX860, CoolerMaster HAF X, ASUS STRIX Tactic pro, Logitech G400S, HyperX Cloud II, Logitech X530, Acer Predator X34.

I think purely because I want to save some power but not skimp out on performance but NOT spend a fortune im going to buy one of these Kaveri APUs when they come out to replace my FX 8150 because this thing drains so much power....

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

It seems like you cherry picked your benchmarks A LOT. Please don't do that, okay? Other than that, pretty good post.

He picked Anandtech and only used theirs. Of all the sites with benchmarks to trust, I would trust them.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It seems like you cherry picked your benchmarks A LOT. Please don't do that, okay? Other than that, pretty good post.

I only cherry picked a few benchmarks to illustrate either a weakness or a strong point of the architecture.

The benchmarks listed under "Benchmarks" were taken straight off HardwareCanuck's 8350 review, the rest are from Anandtech.

I also should mention that Cinebench and Passmark both favor intel (compiled using the intel libraries) but I posted them none the less.

• 4 weeks later...

Good job TechFan@ic. Nice write-up. Though I'm not sure I 100% agree with your point of Intels better energy-efficiency being solely a function of their better manufacturing-process. But that's hard to figure out I guess.

But your other points are pretty much spot-on.

To anyone who has doubts if APUs really are the future, just ask yourself this one question: What if PhysX was an AMD-technology?

Suddenly every gamer would get an APU just to have a dedicated PhysX-Processor build right into his CPU.

AMD's idea with the APUs was clearly right, they just could have executed it a bit better. But hopefully in the future more gaming/physics-stuff will move to OpenCL, and the power of the integrated graphics card will be better used for gaming.