144hz tn or 60hz ips?

Xupthree60

what would you think is a better chose for around $200? 

I currently have a acer s231hl 60hz tn (which is actually the first led monitor linus ever reviewed). I had a power surge today and it stopped working, power brick lights up green, monitor does nothing.

I play mostly FPS games and mostly csgo, I play for fun, I'm not global elite or anything so experience is more important than competitive advantage. Would the experience be better on a ips or are their tn's good enough that 144hz is a better experience... Iv'e never used a ips or a high refresh rate before. 

i would also prefer something with aimed towards gamers too like cross hairs and stuff 

If you have the power to play games at 144hz, get that.

If you don't, get a IPS monitor.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

IPS - anything bellow IPS is unacceptable in this day and age

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Could say the same about 144Hz and FPS gaming.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

honestly if you are mostly only gaming then 144hz is worth it (assuming you can get 144hz in your games)

IPS is better for colour, viewing angles, and just an overall better experience

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

IPS, i cant complain about mine in CSGO and if you don't go 144hz you wont miss it when you need to upgrade again on a low budget 

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

After having a 144Hz monitor, I've come to the conclusion that I play no games where 144Hz helps, but I fear that I'd never be able to adjust to the "feeling" of 60Hz ever again. I do wish I originally went with 60Hz IPS, but idk if I can ever go back.

Sooooo, yeah. Take that for what it's worth.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

Totally worth waiting for a 144hz IPS or 120hz+ 4k or g-sync on top of a 21:9

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

so answers so far... 144, ips, 144, ips, and "ill never go back but wish i did the other"

so in reality i should just let my kids starve and pay $600 for a monitor?

What games do you play. That makes all the difference in my opinion. If you play games like LoL or just RPG/MMO than IPS would be great. If you primarily play FPS then get a TN @ 144hz.

I'm thinking im leaning towards ips... when mass effect (4 that is not 4) comes out next year i think i will care more about how it looks then faster fps. but as of right now i play cs go everyday but for fun, im not trying to make a team or anything. 

also the more i think about it, with ips i will get a benefit on everything i do and play. 144hz will only benefit me on csgo because I have a 7970 and I cant push 144fps on most games other than csgo unless i turn the details way down. where i can push 60 in high to ultra settings on most games. 

Hey there, you're in a similar dilemma that I was in awhile ago. So, I'd like to share my thoughts and what I did. I used super cheap TN panels with poor color and response times that werent very impressive and eventually got a 1080p IPS Asus PB238q. It was absolutely stunning, WoW had never looked so good. I wanted to try 1440p. Months of debating the risk of a Korean panel. Thankfully Acer released a 1440p 25 in IPS display for under 300, currently $200 dollars on newegg. Which is super cheap! I've been running these two IPS monitors and enjoying the experience, but as a higher level CSGO player (DMG), it's undeniable how much improvement can be made with a 144hz 1ms response time. I picked up the 144hz 24in Acer monitor for 170 (without freesync or gsync). CS is an easy game to drive, GPU can run it at 144 frames at max, if not you can just lower some settings.
So, what have I learned? 144hz is nice, you will notice how nice your mouse tracks and how responsive it feels, the mouse really feels like an extension of you. But a good player is still a good player, I've been fine playing CSGO on my IPS with slow response times and 60 frame lock with great results. The colors may actually make certain scenarios better for me?

I find 144hz helpful in LoL too. WoW, doesnt really matter for PvE, you are usually prepared to move before something even happens. It will depend on your most played games. From my quick impressions of you I think you'd be best with an IPS 1440p panel. The 25in acer is probably the cheapest choice(and safer than korean panels), but doesnt have vesa mounting, has poor menu operation, and overall feels cheap (minus the panel itself.) I like the high PPI, but if you need to downgrade 1080p for certain titles 

the smaller screen size keeps the pixel density decent.

But I can also agree with the argument of saving and buying a really nice g-sync or free-sync IPS panel capable of higher refresh rates. You get the best of both worlds and monitors do last you a long time. Linus has made a great point that monitor technology is growing very quickly, it seems every month there is a new "best gaming monitor." So you may want to wait even longer. You may be a fan of ultrawide displays like Linus. Maybe 2560x1080 would suit you well. There is a lot to consider. A lot of things become a personal needs/desires. What I hear is budget, casual, a desire for nice colors, and I think for $200 to have the option of 1440p (if you're comfortable enough with ~ 30fps in some really demanding titles at 1440p more power to you.) If you've never used IPS, almost any IPS blows the water out of your run of the mill TN.

TL;DR I've used both 144hz, 1080p IPS, 1440p IPS. 144Hz is nice but isn't game changing and doesn't seem for you. 1440p IPS 144Hz like the ROG Swift  is an option and a good option at that, but you'll be paying for it and your GPU probably can drive such a beast. I think a cheap 1440p IPS monitor is for you.