Fallout 4 FPS might depend on your RAM speed

Bouzoo

fallout-4-logo-640x325.jpg

Another Fallout 4 thread, but this one is quite interesting, at least for me, so I decided to post it.

Digital Foundry made an in-depth analysis of the game, they compared everything, consoles, low budget components, high end components, Nvidia vs AMD, you name it, but the most interesting thing is that there is a possibility that RAM speed might improve your framerate. You can read the full article by going to the source link.

Unfortunately there was no video about this like there usually is.

If sustaining 60fps is proving challenging, we have some advice for you: consider faster RAM. We ran through a series of traversal sequences using a Core i5 4690K paired with a Titan X running at 1080p - in short, a scenario designed to remove the GPU as a bottleneck and stress the CPU. We then re-ran the test with faster memory. Below you'll find our lowest and average frame-rate results from three different configurations:

1600MHz: 36.0/54.6

2133MHz: 39.0/61.0

2400MHz: 44.0/66.9

That's a 22 per cent increase in performance with faster RAM comparing the slowest to the fastest. Now, this scenario is an exaggeration as the GPU is a major limiting factor in performance and by using a Titan X at a low resolution, we have removed that bottleneck. So are there any real-life applications?

Well, click on the shot above to see that - yes - faster RAM can make a difference in general gameplay, even with Fallout 4's v-sync cap, and without an outlandish lack of balance in system components. Essentially, when the CPU is the bottleneck, faster RAM can provide an often dramatic increase in performance. However, before considering an upgrade, make sure your motherboard is compatible with faster memory. Usually this functionality is reserved for the top-end chipsets.

RAM.bmp.jpg

It should be pointed that this may not apply to everyone. As they said, they tested this by lowering the resolution and using a Titan X, so it might not make (such) an impact on your overall performance. They got 22% increase from slowest to fastest RAM, but someone else might get nothing.

I personally would like to see the performance difference (if it exists) from someone that is trying to run the game at "normal" 1080p 60 FPS with a lees powerful GPU, just to see it with a more "casual" setup. Yes the picture is with the 970, but more people with same builds might get different results as well. If someone does that PM me. 

If RAM turns out to matter, I think this might be the first game to do so, or was there another one?

What do you think?

Source

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So I assume my 1866 RAM won't help.

DAMN

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That's cool.

But bought overkill 64gb of 3000MHz of ram a few months back for my friend and his rig, I'll use the 32gb he doesn't use anymore lol

Shipping sucks

ಠ_ಠ

Running 2133 ATM, could just bump up to 2400.

I dont really need though, I play in borderless windows so it is locked at 60, and I get 60 prettymuch universally.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

BF4 was similar. But why does it say they used a titan x then its says 970 in the screenshot?

BF4 was similar. But why does it say they used a titan x then its says 970 in the screenshot?

They probably just took the screenshot with the 970 as an example but did the complete analysis with Titan X, to remove bottlenecks and all. 

doesn't matter when the fps is capped at either 60 or 72 depending on monitor refresh rate. that is unless you edit an ini file and like broken physics

Single channel DDR3-1600 (what I use) is 18GB/s transfer speed, why would a game need more than that???

drawcalls....

seriously though, depending on how the game is made, drawcalls can be affected by memory speed... im still reading through this long ass wall ot text on how drawcall performance is affected by various shit in your system....

doesn't matter when the fps is capped at either 60 or 72 depending on monitor refresh rate. that is unless you edit an ini file and like broken physics

It might matter for people with weaker cards. Not the best way to improve FPS but it might help to get a small boost in performance. Or if they release a patch that would remove the FPS cap. A huge patch but a possibility nonetheless. It goes w/o saying they might patch the game so it doesn't depend on RAM but that's for a different discussion.

What about DDR4?

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Boy, 1333MHz here. Though'd it would never come to this.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

What about DDR4?

They didn't use a CPU that supports DDR4. Maybe in the future.

This just in, Fallout 4 floating-point compares:

//float f1

//float f2

u8 buffer1[4];

u8 buffer2[4];

bool match = true;

for(int i = 0; i < 4; i++) {

u8* p1 = &((u8*) &f1);

u8* p2 = &((u8*) &f2);

if(*p1 != *p2)

match = false;

}

return match;

Boy, 1333MHz here. Though'd it would never come to this.

I'm running mine underclocked to 800MHz (albeit with the timings tightened a lot) since DDR2 is fine at those speeds.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

What what what what.

I'm going to test this. I will laugh if it stops my drops to 24fps. :lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

excellent choice i made then, just started playing it today. Had to put a few useless settings to high/medium and i get a steady 60 FPS on 1440p with a fov of 110. it doesnt seem to use SLI though, so hopefully theyll fix that, since card 2 is at 37ºC, but usually around 50ºC. 

about 5 mods and this game is the best game ever

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

It might matter for people with weaker cards. Not the best way to improve FPS but it might help to get a small boost in performance. Or if they release a patch that would remove the FPS cap. A huge patch but a possibility nonetheless. It goes w/o saying they might patch the game so it doesn't depend on RAM but that's for a different discussion.

fps is tied to physics and game speed, they can't fix that with a simple patch. that would require a major game rewrite (physics, rendering, and animation pipelines would all need to be modified), or did we learn nothing from arkham knight?

fps is tied to physics and game speed, they can't fix that with a simple patch. that would require a major game rewrite (physics, rendering, and animation pipelines would all need to be modified), or did we learn nothing from arkham knight?

That's why I wrote a huge patch.  :P

I bet this is just corporations bribing gamemakers to improve game performance if better ram is installed so they can start selling that useless DDR4, a silly game like fallout 4 gets more benefits than hardcore graphics pushing engines like Battlefield's frostbite, cryengine and unreal engine which see no major benefits from better ram, yet some average game like fallout sees immense performance benefits, yeah right you aint fooling me.

I bet this is just corporations bribing gamemakers to improve game performance if better ram is installed so they can start selling that useless DDR4, a silly game like fallout 4 gets more benefits than hardcore graphics pushing engines like Battlefield's frostbite, cryengine and unreal engine which see no major benefits from better ram, yet some average game like fallout sees immense performance benefits, yeah right you aint fooling me.

that's most likely because Bethesda is shit for actually optimizing their games and rely on modders to do it post release. don't attribute to malice what is easily explained by stupidity or something to that effect.

SNIP

Ram speed makes a difference to some games anyway, this isn't new, it's been tested before (I really cant be arsed finding you the tests and results either) and shown to make a difference.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd