Nikon D5200 or Canon 700D

I am goign to buy a DSLR in the next few months and I was wondering which is better, the Nikon D5200 or the Canon 700D. I am going to be taking videos primarily but also some photos.

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

If your only choices are between these two models and your primary need is video, get the Canon.  Because:

• You can use Magic Lantern
  • EF and EF-S mount lenses are compatible with a variety of other cameras that have EF-mounts
  • Nikon lenses can be mounted to Canon bodies with an adapter, and there are tons of old yet good Nikon glass out there on the second hand market.  A lot of those old glass will be manual lenses whether they are mounted on a Nikon body or any other camera body with an adapter.

Otherwise, both cameras should perform well for photography.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

If your only choices are between these two models and your primary need is video, get the Canon.  Because:

• You can use Magic Lantern
  • EF and EF-S mount lenses are compatible with a variety of other cameras that have EF-mounts
  • Nikon lenses can be mounted to Canon bodies with an adapter, and there are tons of old yet good Nikon glass out there on the second hand market.  A lot of those old glass will be manual lenses whether they are mounted on a Nikon body or any other camera body with an adapter.

WHat is magic lantern?

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

WHat is magic lantern?

It's a firmware add-on that you can install on the memory card, and will add some additional useful features to improve your video recording experience.  It doesn't replace the firmware in the camera as it runs directly off the memory card, so if you remove the memory card (or delete the file off it) the camera reverts back to the official firmware.

It adds some features that are more common to video cameras and not usually found in photo cameras, to help a videographer record better video.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

It's a firmware add-on that you can install on the memory card, and will add some additional useful features to improve your video recording experience.  It doesn't replace the firmware in the camera as it runs directly off the memory card, so if you remove the memory card (or delete the file off it) the camera reverts back to the official firmware.

It adds some features that are more common to video cameras and not usually found in photo cameras, to help a videographer record better video.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/

Cool. Do you think I should get the kit lens or get another lens myself?

Cool. Do you think I should get the kit lens or get another lens myself?

Depends on what kind of videos you want to record.  A kit lens is most typically an 18-55 variable aperture lens.  For a lot of situations it's good enough.  Of course, recording video is not all about the camera and lens.

You need to invest in:

• Good external microphones
  • Lights and light modifiers
  • Perhaps a tripod and a fluid head for smooth panning and tilting motion, or even a shoulder mount rig

Depends on what kind of videos you want to record. A kit lens is most typically an 18-55 variable aperture lens. For a lot of situations it's good enough. Of course, recording video is not all about the camera and lens.

You need to invest in:

• Good external microphones
  • Lights and light modifiers
  • Perhaps a tripod and a fluid head for smooth panning and tilting motion, or even a shoulder mount rig
Ok then. I have decent audio, a tripod and will be upgrading my lighting soon

Ok then. I have decent audio, a tripod and will be upgrading my lighting soon

If you want to buy more lenses, look in the second hand market.  There are tons of great glass out there.  A Nikon lens to Canon body adapter doesn't cost much.