LTT, what do you do?

Jacktastic-Mofo

Hey LTT forums, I'm curious and have three questions for you-

What do you do for a living?

What advice do you have for someone getting into that field?

What's your favorite part of your job?

I'll start-

1. I'm a fry cook and dish washer (only 17 y/o)
  2. It's a decent job, just make sure you work with good people like I do or the job will be shit.
  3. The people I work with, their fucking hilarious.

Now you go!

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

1) Student

2) Enroll at a school?

3) Lunch.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

I'm a full-time high school student and over the summer I "work" (aka volunteer) as a junior counselor at a summer camp.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

1) Student

2) Enroll at a school?

3) Lunch.

I'm a full-time high school student and over the summer I "work" (aka volunteer) as a junior counselor at a summer camp.

Working and going to school is pretty stressful, I go to school thirty hours a week, do some after school activities, do home work, do chores at home, and work twenty hours. It sucks but it makes me appreciate all the time I have to gaming and doing PC stuff way more.

Also I make money so I can buy computer shit.

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

Not dying

Not dying

Not dying

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

What do you do for a living?
Financial adviser 
What advice do you have for someone getting into that field?

stay in school lol

What's your favorite part of your job?

in a 9 hour work day i may do about 2 hours of actual work the rest of the time im farting around on the interwebz 

CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.6 ghz  Motherboard: Asus z170-a  Cooling: Corsair h80i GT GPU: EVGA GTX 970  Ram: G.Skill 2x8 gb ddr4 2400  PSU: EVGA G2 Supernova 550w  Case: Corsair 200r Storage: 250GB 850 EVO + 2x wd 1 tb drives

1. I do private website coding (basic shit that most people can't do themselves: HTML, CSS, a pattering of jQuery and JavaScript, lately getting a little into Python thanks to my computer science club). I make website templates so small businesses can more easily create a website.

2. It's pretty OK. I don't work often (still in school), but when I do it pays quite a bit. Just make sure your basic coding knowledge is solid. 

3. It's a good job because I get paid a lot when I actually have a client, I also don't have to deal with idiots 24/7.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

school / occasional data recovery and network diagnostics side jobs (rare but very well paying)  

also do some consulting work designing and deploying server infrastructures for small businesses 

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

1. I setup networks and manage databases

2. Make sure you have a good length contract

The amount of skills I have gained over time

nvm laid off 2 days ago

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1) Student

2) Don't get into debt...

3) Getting out of it...

• I setup networks and manage databases
  • Make sure you have a good length contract
  • The amount of skills I have gained over time
nvm laid off 2 days ago

my condolences...

Part time student

Part time guy who organizes oil samples (I don't know what you'd call this job)

student

part time web and illustration designer

I get to work anytime, anywhere

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

1. Job title says Web developer, but web dev work is only 10% of the tasks they give me.

2. Befriend everyone. Make sure they have nothing to say about you.

3. The salary. 

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

1. I make YouTube videos

2. Work painfully hard. Do it for passion first, then if you're lucky and talented the profit will come.

3. Working with an amazing team.

Thanks for responding Linus! We all love how hard you work and I appreciate all that you've taught me! It's because of you I'm going to school to study Electrical Engineer. 

1. Kitchen Hand (Im only 15)

2. Ask a restaurant 

3. Making dinner

Main PC : CPU: I7 6700k @ 4.7GHz MOBO: Asus Maximus Hero VII RAM: 32GB Crucial 2133MHz GPU: GTX 980ti 2-Way SLI Drives: 2 850 Evo 250GB, 1 TB WD Blue CASE: 750D PSU: RM1000W

1) Data Analyst at a Hospital

2) Captain in the National Guard (Intelligence Field)

3) Jack of all traits and master of none (ie woodworking, tile work, computers, calligraphy, digital art, framing, motors, general vehicle maintenance)

CPU: i7 - 5930k  GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti  MOBO: MSI XPower AC X99 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB  Boot Drive: M.2 SM951 512GB Storage: 850 Pro 1TB SSD PSU: EVGA 1000W Case: TT Core X9 CPU Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate Case Fans: 2x Cooler Master 200mm Fan, 5x Cougar Vortex 120mm, 4x Be quiet! Pure Wings 140mm Peripherals: Corsair K70 and G5 Mouse

1. I make YouTube videos

2. Work painfully hard. Do it for passion first, then if you're lucky and talented the profit will come.

3. Working with an amazing team.

Painfully hard? I'd like to see some elaboration there. At least compared with manual labor and food services. I used to work in a Domino's that was at least 115 degrees F during the summer.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm a visual effects artist. Up till last week I was working on NatGeo/Discovery shows that did reenactments of events, plane crashes and stuff.  I got laid off on Friday however and as of yesterday I now work as a much, much larger company doing 2D to 3D conversion of major motion pictures.  In short, I'll now have access to bottomless spoilers about major films, and if I speak one public word about them before the films release, I'll be sued into poverty and blacklisted from the industry. :D

Painfully hard? I'd like to see some elaboration there. At least compared with manual labor and food services. I used to work in a Domino's that was at least 115 degrees F during the summer.

Everything is relative. I don't doubt his job is extremely mentally laborious at all.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ