Home built wifi router.

Gladzilla

I know that pfsense is out of the question. What software should I use to get wifi working on a homebuilt router?

Hostapd is the package you want to create an access point .

I'm confused, is that a package within pfsense?

OK, so which distribution of linux should i go with tat has a good web portal gui?

Anything FreeBSD based. Which one really depends on how many options and the look you want.

pfSense will work well for this entire project.

YES, BUT WOULD A wireless ac card work with pfsense? 

YES, BUT WOULD A wireless ac card work with pfsense? 

I thought it did, but reading through the pfSense forums it looks like there is only support for N.  :(

Why not just get a proper access point and be done with it?

Why not buy a prebuilt pc instead of building your own?

Why not buy a custom car from a shop instead of doing it yourself?

Why not buy a brand new house instead of a fixer upper?

Why not buy a home theater in a box instead of piecing it together?

Why not buy a off the shelf NAS instead of re purposing a old pc?

This list could go on to infinity....

Why not buy a prebuilt pc instead of building your own?

Why not buy a custom car from a shop instead of doing it yourself?

Why not buy a brand new house instead of a fixer upper?

Why not buy a home theater in a box instead of piecing it together?

Why not buy a off the shelf NAS instead of re purposing a old pc?

This list could go on to infinity....

1. Because you can build faster and better computer that fits your needs better than a prebuilt for cheaper.

2. Because you can get a faster, better performing car that suits your likes better for cheaper than a shop would charge you.

3. Because you can get a better, more customized house for cheaper than what a home builder would charge you.

4. Because you can set up a home theater setup that's better suited to your content or listening environment than a manufacturer can piece together in a box.

5. Because you can build a NAS from parts that you may even already own that can have features that may not even be found at all in commercial units.

OR;

I could flip it all around and say that:

1. A prebuilt PC can guarantee you compatibility between all the components and save you the trouble of drivers issues or QVLs.

2. A custom car from a shop/dealer will shift the responsibility of repair to the shop/dealer if something they installed/manufactured breaks.

3. A brand new carries a warranty; in addition to the fact that many people don't have a place to live while they work on a fixer upper or just don't have the skills.

4. The economies of scale dictate that the specific components in a Home Theater in a Box will be cheaper if bought as a HTIB as opposed to buying indiviually.

5. An off the shelf NAS will have guaranteed compatibility and some people don't have the technical skills or time to be their own sys admin.

In every one of you examples there are plenty of reasons why either option could be a good choice. There is literally no reason that using a wifi card in a full blown computer would be in any way superior to using a prebuilt access point. 

It would be slower, more expensive, use more power, have less range and take up more space and possibly be more insecure unless the person setting it up knows precisely what they are doing.

Sure, the reason of "just because I can" is a perfectly valid reason to try anything. I have a 10gbe network in my house. Why? Because I can. But other than the initial cost there is no other downside.

The same can't be said for any sort of "roll your own" access point solution.

and op could have all these things sitting around his house so buying a access point could be the more expensive route. That also brings you to the why not point of the build. I just dont see the point of the useless post when this gentlemen or gentlewomen is just trying to do something that perks there interest which modding/custom building is a BIG part of what the community is about...

and op could have all these things sitting around his house so buying a access point could be the more expensive route. That also brings you to the why not point of the build. I just dont see the point of the useless post when this gentlemen or gentlewomen is just trying to do something that perks there interest which modding/custom building is a BIG part of what the community is about...

i actually have Old computers lying around. plus I'd like to make this a nas/router. My house uses home plugs so , I'd like to feed the plugs a more reliable connection. Why spend the money for a Pre-built nas when i can just add the ssd drives to a computer i have lying around. Even windows would work for backing up my raid 0 to a nas.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/disk-imaging-to-nas.779033/ I'm the OP so thats what I'd like from my nas that i will build. 

For a router, I woud use RouterOS - you can get a slightly limited license for free and a full license is real cheap shuld you wish to upgrade. Supports SMB shares for local and external discs.

Very customisable router - bit of a learning curve but plenty of support from the forums.

Why not just get a proper access point and be done with it?

Agreed, they are better than what you will get with a card in the PC anyways...

If you want to do something custom buy an antenna and some good equipment (gonna be more expensive)

Network/Homelab build log Main PC: "Aqua Blue"  Server: 15TB+ "Blue Lightning"

3900x, 32GB RAM @3200mhz, RTX 3090, 2.5TB+ SSD Storage, 4x2560x1440 monitors

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G, +2x Note 9