goodbye Catalyst Control Center, hello Radeon Sofware

again, what's wrong with it that needs improving?the simpler the better

and why it can't be improved on the existing platform and must be re-done on a completely new platform?

am I the only one who recalls how dreadful the 1st iterations of CCC ran  :mellow:

Because the design is outdated? 

By your standard you're ok if CCC look like this in 2015. Riiight.

AMD_Registry_Editor.png

What platform? .net? I'm glad there're not using .net anymore.

1st iteration? Which year was it?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

gone?!

to this day there are people, quite a lot of them, who complain about issues with their brand new 390s

my own case with an AMD IGP laptop where I had to wait months for AMD to release a driver that didn't cause artifacting in GW2

Trust me, what we have now is incredibly good compared to back in the day. Just consider that people would go and custom mod drivers rather than expecting an update to fix anything. A few struggles just after a lineup launch are normal and to an extent, unavoidable because they can't test every game in existance.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

don't you mean, after you agree to void your warranty ?!

AMD doesn't "nerf" BIOS as much as Nvidia.

If you're a noob, and you go to CCC, apply a freaking high voltage and crazy OC you can fry your card.

Same with Nvidia.

Nvidia nerfs stock BIOS a lot, especially with voltages, you have to flash a custom BIOS to your Nvidia GPU to get the same kind of control you get with a stock BIOS AMD GPU (at least in voltage). In both cases, you're (just technically) "losing your warranty".

Anyways AMD doesn't offer you any warranty, the GPU vendor does. Look at EVGA, Sapphire, Gigabyte etc... In some cases they RMA GPU's even if you flashed a custom BIOS, let alone overclocking. I've heard some stories of dudes frying their GPU's, and being able to RMA them.

It's good to share your opinion, but uninformed hate, and spreading your personal opinion as facts it's a different thing.

Do some research before trying to argue something, it's very useful :)

right, because your experience is everyone's experience

You should meet Linus one day. You two can talk about how great Nvidia is and how horrible AMD is. 

The latest video by LTT about Crysis was just pathetic...

He has an irrational grudge just like the anti-Nvidia brigade here.

#fuckFX+R9FuryX

Their older series are better value wise (and yes the non Fiji based rebadges count as older)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

the software is great and all, but I really hope they nailed the drivers. Stability and maximum performance for me are way more important than the software design currently, everything needs to just work and be resistant to problems.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

The latest video by LTT about Crysis was just pathetic...

Why is that? Does LTT have an nVidia bias in that video?

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

I haven't seen one I can recall that blatantly outright says it. But it's pretty obvious that Linus is team green. 

Good stuff. Looks really simple, which is how it should be. No more of these ugly clusterf**ks of menus when you're trying to tweak stuff. 

I haven't seen one I can recall that blatantly outright says it. But it's pretty obvious that Linus is team green. 

I mean, there's certainly times where I can pick up a slight bias, but it's not like they hate AMD or anything. Their reviews and comparisons have been more than fair. 

Extreme bias. They compare the Fury Nano to the 980 Ti. The Nano has much less power draw AND it's clocked slightly lower than the Fury X. It's bullshit comparing a Ti to the Nano.

Extreme bias. They compare the Fury Nano to the 980 Ti. The Nano has much less power draw AND it's clocked slightly lower than the Fury X. It's bullshit comparing a Ti to the Nano.

And there's another reason not to like Linus Sebastian.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

The nano price wise is equal to the 980ti. They even in the review stated that it was incredible for the price due to the size, and speed that was offered for M-ITX builds. But it was compared to the 980ti because of the price being pretty much equal - give or take $10.      

LTT is definitely a bit biased towards Team Green, but nVidia does send them products, and is always quick to surprise and reply to them from what we can see. AMD's presence is non-existent at times when it comes to getting to tech-tubers or even sites like Tech Report with that whole debacle that existed in September, but that was resolved. Thankfully.

The nano price wise is equal to the 980ti. They even in the review stated that it was incredible for the price due to the size, and speed that was offered for M-ITX builds. But it was compared to the 980ti because of the price being pretty much equal - give or take $10.

LTT is definitely a bit biased towards Team Green, but nVidia does send them products, and is always quick to surprise and reply to them from what we can see. AMD's presence is non-existent at times when it comes to getting to tech-tubers or even sites like Tech Report with that whole debacle that existed in September, but that was resolved. Thankfully.

We. Are. Not. Talking. About. Price. The Nano is clocked lower and has way less wattage used. The fury X is also the same price as the Ti and is clocked higher and has more wattage than the Nano. They should have compared the X to the Ti, not the Nano. It's not difficult to understand.

We. Are. Not. Talking. About. Price. The Nano is clocked lower and has way less wattage used. The fury X is also the same price as the Ti and is clocked higher and has more wattage than the Nano. They should have compared the X to the Ti, not the Nano. It's not difficult to understand.

Understood.  My argument in this regard is that of course they'd compare the 980ti to the Nano, same as they did to the Fury X.  They're all in the same price bracket.  What is the consumer getting for the price is always the question.  Nano is clocked lower, runs on less power, is cooler in temperatures, and has a much smaller form-factor, but it's still priced in the same bracket as the 980ti which if you can squeeze in a small form factor case like most would with the nano - is the better buy, of course.   That is what my point is - the justification of why they ran the two against one another.  

Understood. My argument in this regard is that of course they'd compare the 980ti to the Nano, same as they did to the Fury X. They're all in the same price bracket. What is the consumer getting for the price is always the question. Nano is clocked lower, runs on less power, is cooler in temperatures, and has a much smaller form-factor, but it's still priced in the same bracket as the 980ti which if you can squeeze in a small form factor case like most would with the nano - is the better buy, of course. That is what my point is - the justification of why they ran the two against one another.

And my argument is that it's not fair. The X is the actual flagship to compare to the Ti. I get it, they're in the same price range but that's hardly any justification when they KNOW the X performs better than the Nano at the same price.

And my argument is that it's not fair. The X is the actual flagship to compare to the Ti. I get it, they're in the same price range but that's hardly any justification when they KNOW the X performs better than the Nano at the same price.

Well, of course the 980ti and Fury X won over the Nano at the same price in performance.  They know and most of us already knew ahead of time which was going to win, but the point is to showcase for those who don't take the time to be as informed between them.  They talked of all the benefits of the Nano over the 980ti.  Price-brackets will always be used to compare X against X - it's a comparison of performance and features.  The nano for what it is - is incredible compared to all the other cards shown and tested not just on LTT but a myriad of other sites.  Cool, quiet, small-FF, and on the level of an R9 Fury / 980.

From my view, at the least - it's fair what they did in the comparison.  Luke showcased and highlighted all the features of the Nano.  It's an awesome niche card.

(Mostly responding to a comment in OP.)

Every time I read/hear someone say they wish AMD had more driver updates, I shake my head. 

There is a reason why nvidia updates their drivers so often, in fact there are a few reasons. the first and foremost reason is that current Nvidia hardware is fully driver/software dependent, in that game optimizations are done mostly in software. Each AAA title ends up getting many small incremental driver updates from Nvidia as they tweak their cpu-driven schedulers and optimize how shaders are recompiled to best suit each architecture. The second reason is bug fixing. Nvidia seem to introduce new/old bugs with every other driver update, which means they need to release another patch to fix said bug(s). As someone who used Nvidia cards from G80 through Kepler, I know the pain of driver bugs, and the fingers crossed with each driver update that no bugs will be introduced.

There is also a reason why AMD do not have constant driver updates, and it is not for the reason that trolls/ignorants would have you believe (i.e. too few employees dedicated to driver updates). The primary reason is that AMD's current hardware depends mostly on the talent (or lack thereof) of the game developers. GCN architecture does pretty much everything in hardware, with only minor tweaks needed to adjust for developer oversight. Exceptions occur in the case of Gameworks, and also in the case of pre-built engines where developers use cookie-cutter effects without optimizing.

I could post this a million times and people would still spew nonsense about AMD needing to update drivers more often... but it doesn't hurt to try.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

-Wisdom snip-

Y'know you've been getting coffee for a long time, and help never did come, Briggsy.  I'm beginning to worry it'll never arrive!  D:

(Mostly responding to a comment in OP.)

Every time I read/hear someone say they wish AMD had more driver updates, I shake my head. 

There is a reason why nvidia updates their drivers so often, in fact there are a few reasons. the first and foremost reason is that current Nvidia hardware is fully driver/software dependent, in that game optimizations are done mostly in software. Each AAA title ends up getting many small incremental driver updates from Nvidia as they tweak their cpu-driven schedulers and optimize how shaders are recompiled to best suit each architecture. The second reason is bug fixing. Nvidia seem to introduce new/old bugs with every other driver update, which means they need to release another patch to fix said bug(s). As someone who used Nvidia cards from G80 through Kepler, I know the pain of driver bugs, and the fingers crossed with each driver update that no bugs will be introduced.

There is also a reason why AMD do not have constant driver updates, and it is not for the reason that trolls/ignorants would have you believe (i.e. too few employees dedicated to driver updates). The primary reason is that AMD's current hardware depends mostly on the talent (or lack thereof) of the game developers. GCN architecture does pretty much everything in hardware, with only minor tweaks needed to adjust for developer oversight. Exceptions occur in the case of Gameworks, and also in the case of pre-built engines where developers use cookie-cutter effects without optimizing.

I could post this a million times and people would still spew nonsense about AMD needing to update drivers more often... but it doesn't hurt to try.

I'll put it lightly, AMD's older drivers are the only reason my dual GPU laptop still holds its own in games despite being from 2010.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I'll put it lightly, AMD's older drivers are the only reason my dual GPU laptop still holds its own in games despite being from 2010.

I'm referring to GCN architecture. 

(I have an old laptop that uses terascale... yeah)

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

As an amd owner i just hope they can find a way to reduce crossfire stuttering.

Probably my biggest annoyance is that i get slight frame stuttering in some games.

Nvidia on the other hand has nice fluid graphics.

Hopefully some framepacing updates in the future!!

-snip-

While I do understand what you are saying, I'm leaning more towards what TechGod is saying. If you were to take the same budget and look at a miniITX build vs a ATX build, it's obvious to show performance will be lacking on the miniITX, so the comparison seems off. I feel like the Nano is in a class of it's own since it's meant to be a performance:size (instead of the normal performance:price) ratio card. Nvidia doesn't have anything like that currently (may change), so I don't think it is fair at all.

-Snip to the snip snippity snip-

And I perfectly understand that, but I still feel the comparison is justified as sometimes a build or case that is Small-FF can accomodate a large sized GPU and have 'ample' room for it to breathe and stretch those legs.  I feel the price bracket comparisons are always necessary and fair with same generation cards for performance structuring.   The highlight were the highlights of the card itself.  Efficient, quiet, and incredible performance for the size.