Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Top Fan Cavity Mod

DieHörnær
8 hours ago, Chamir said:

Seems this is the right place...

Negative.  I just have normal screws there.

Interestingly enough I have been hanging out over on the Phanteks Forums.  And they strongly advise against this mod.  Apparently it can actually reduce airflow and cause increased heat.   

They suggest this instead.   Blocking off the extra vent area to keep air from going back into the case. Evolv ATX top & rad brkt gde.jpg

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

I don't see the radiator mod with the fans above having any impact on airflow.  There is still ample space above the beams and vents at the front, back, and sides for the air to exhaust.  As long as there is positive pressure in the case that air should not come back down into the main body of the case.

16 hours ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

Negative.  I just have normal screws there.

Yeah, couldn't place front panel with the screws there. Anyway, those screws are now in the screws box xD

14 hours ago, JettaGetUpandGo said:

The Corsair logo is upside down on your radiator. ;)

Congrats on the mod.  It looks great!

Thanls! Yeah i know, it's corsair h110gtx can't be placed in no other way or side

On ‎27‎.‎07‎.‎2016 at 8:11 PM, KWelz said:

I am debating on trying this mod or just returning the case.   I am running a custom loop and currently my temps idling around 40C and hitting mid to high 60s under load.  I am considering adding another Radiator up top but I am also assuming this case just doesn't' have enough airflow. :(  

Airflow is pain in the a** on this case.. I trying to mod the top panel to get hot air out of the case. Without the panel airflow is fine even under load (using 2x 980 Ti @ 1360 Mhz and 6700k @ 4.7 Ghz in a custom loop. Had to mod the top cage to fit 360mm airplex radical.

Any solutions for cuting the top panel?

unspecified.jpg

IMG_4441.JPG

IMG_4444.JPG

On 10/5/2016 at 0:49 PM, ms240 said:

Airflow is pain in the a** on this case.. I trying to mod the top panel to get hot air out of the case. Without the panel airflow is fine even under load (using 2x 980 Ti @ 1360 Mhz and 6700k @ 4.7 Ghz in a custom loop. Had to mod the top cage to fit 360mm airplex radical.

Any solutions for cuting the top panel?

First off, very nice looking.  Now..  What temps are you getting with the Panels on?   

I have had thoughts about milling vents into the top of the panel but other than that I am not sure what the best solution might be. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

thanks, my first pc built with water cooling Loop. With the Panels on its 46° on load (prime95 and heaven Benchmark).

My initial thoughts also have been to mill vents into top panel. Like 3 small bars every 1cm, same style as the ones on the side.

46c under load is very good.   If those are your temps I wouldn't touch it. 

ist 46° Celcius ^^ without the Panel ist 7° C less

11 hours ago, ms240 said:

ist 46° Celcius ^^ without the Panel ist 7° C less

It doesn't matter. 46 degrees C is still extremely good. Don't go ruining your case for a petty 7 degrees C that makes no difference.

On 9/24/2016 at 6:52 PM, KWelz said:

Interestingly enough I have been hanging out over on the Phanteks Forums.  And they strongly advise against this mod.  Apparently it can actually reduce airflow and cause increased heat.   

They suggest this instead.   Blocking off the extra vent area to keep air from going back into the case. Evolv ATX top & rad brkt gde.jpg

Lucky for me I'll be having a 360 mm radiator up there acting as an intake instead of exhuasting air out. I can't imagine that issue would be possible as an intake :)

Sound super easy to block those vents off though so I'll probably do that anyways.

1 hour ago, Awakening said:

It doesn't matter. 46 degrees C is still extremely good. Don't go ruining your case for a petty 7 degrees C that makes no difference.

Lucky for me I'll be having a 360 mm radiator up there acting as an intake instead of exhuasting air out. I can't imagine that issue would be possible as an intake :)

Sound super easy to block those vents off though so I'll probably do that anyways.

People have used things as simple as masking tape.  You just want to restrict the ability for air to recirculate back through the case.  I personally used some thin Plexiglas that I painted black and Hot Clued to the open slots.  I am always a bit torn on this case.   It is the best looking case on the market.  However it is not near as water cooling friendly as I would like.  I still debate moving it over to my Hackintosh and using a Define S as my Gaming case. 

27 minutes ago, KWelz said:

People have used things as simple as masking tape.  You just want to restrict the ability for air to recirculate back through the case.  I personally used some thin Plexiglas that I painted black and Hot Clued to the open slots.  I am always a bit torn on this case.   It is the best looking case on the market.  However it is not near as water cooling friendly as I would like.  I still debate moving it over to my Hackintosh and using a Define S as my Gaming case. 

Don't get me wrong, the Define S is a great case, but I can tell you right now that it won't be quite as good at accepting a custom loop compared to the Enthoo Evlov ATX. I think you'd be better off making a Hackintosh out of the smaller Define S that I'm sure you'll have much less powerful hardware in.

And I'll probably just use electrical tape since it's cheap and black. You have to dismantle the case to see that part anyways so I wouldn't go as far as you did with it.

How would a Define S not be better for a Custom loop?  Isn't that what it is built for?  Big open case with lots of moutning points for Res, etc?

Regardless.  I have my hgackintosh built currently.  I am just not happy with the case and can't figure out what to move it into.  Currently in an H440.  Considering moving back to a S340.  Or maybe something completely different if I don't move my Evolv over.  

16 minutes ago, KWelz said:

How would a Define S not be better for a Custom loop?  Isn't that what it is built for?  Big open case with lots of moutning points for Res, etc?

Regardless.  I have my hgackintosh built currently.  I am just not happy with the case and can't figure out what to move it into.  Currently in an H440.  Considering moving back to a S340.  Or maybe something completely different if I don't move my Evolv over.  

Sure, that's what it's built for, but it's meant to be the smallest form factor possible with full custom loop support. The Evolv is bigger and has more internal space to work with, not to mention the PSU shroud that makes everything look much cleaner.

You'd definitely be moving the hackintosh down in size a considerable amount going with the Define S. Totally up to you though, really. I have no idea what the circumstances are.

Why don't you like the H440? A lot of people love that case.

14 hours ago, Awakening said:

its just 37°C under load without the top panel. So if its done properly the vents wouldnt be that bad for airflow... or just switch to 2x GTX 1080s lol

51 minutes ago, ms240 said:

its just 37°C under load without the top panel. So if its done properly the vents wouldnt be that bad for airflow... or just switch to 2x GTX 1080s lol

I don't think you ever mentioned what your setup was for the top. What fans and radiator do you have? Exhausting or intaking? Did you block off the vent holes as mentioned in a previous post so that air doesn't recirculate?

Those temps are still really good.   I hit low 60s on my CPU and mid 40s on my GPUs under load.  

On ‎11‎.‎10‎.‎2016 at 10:41 PM, Awakening said:

I don't think you ever mentioned what your setup was for the top. What fans and radiator do you have? Exhausting or intaking? Did you block off the vent holes as mentioned in a previous post so that air doesn't recirculate?

yes sry.. got 360mm airplex radical (https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3219&XTCsid=3n15ihb1kda1nss1hh2t9durp7ptqq9e) in top as exhaust 3x120mm Noiseblocker eloops and 280mm airplex radical as intake on front 2x140mm NB eloops + 140mm Phanteks as intake in back. Pump Aquacomputer Aquastream ultimate (https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3379&XTCsid=3n15ihb1kda1nss1hh2t9durp7ptqq9e)

Air doesnt recirculate as you see on Pictures of Oct 5th

4 hours ago, ms240 said:

yes sry.. got 360mm airplex radical (https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3219&XTCsid=3n15ihb1kda1nss1hh2t9durp7ptqq9e) in top as exhaust 3x120mm Noiseblocker eloops and 280mm airplex radical as intake on front 2x140mm NB eloops + 140mm Phanteks as intake in back. Pump Aquacomputer Aquastream ultimate (https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=3379&XTCsid=3n15ihb1kda1nss1hh2t9durp7ptqq9e)

Air doesnt recirculate as you see on Pictures of Oct 5th

Only two things I can think of.

1) Try blocking the vent holes with simple tape to see if it changes anything and maybe change the tape out for something better if it does help.

2) Change the 360 to an intake and the 280 to an exhaust. That should provide a better airflow path.

• 1 month later...

Love the case just hate my temps. not as silent and runs more hot than my h440.... but none the less came out lookin decent

20161119_141909.jpg

More pics

Spoiler

20161117_211609.jpg20161117_211537.jpg20161117_211413.jpg20161117_122151.jpg20161117_114348.jpg

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Just now, Technicolors said:

How are your temps at load? 

game load around 60 give or take a few on mild games like dirt and farming sim 17, havent had time to test for cpu intensive games

Idle, well varies...... with front fan filter in i get 48-50c idle at 4ghz but without the front filter 41c that front filter is restrictive as hell. have not did the tap mod above tho so ill give that a shot. 

As far as synthetic benchmarks... not sure because the system was in my h440 when i did those and i seen no need to redo them since i already did all that in my other case. Can say 100% tho that this case is more loud and has higher temps then my h440 which was damn near silent and in the 41c with fans at 600rpm. in evolv they are 50% at 1200rpm

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables