Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is it worth it upgrading my old pc?

I am new to PC gaming and i want to play games on my pc like Grid, Dirt and other titles like Bioshock. But, i have an old pc that has intel pentium dual core inside and cpu of Intel Pentium E2160 / 1.8 GHz with 0.99GB of RAM. Can i even upgrade or should i just build one from start? I dont know much about this, any help would be greatly appreciated.  

is it a DDR2 system, it's been years i didn't see a dual--core E serie. you may want to start again, from the 0.

I am new to PC gaming and i want to play games on my pc like Grid, Dirt and other titles like Bioshock. But, i have an old pc that has intel pentium dual core inside and cpu of Intel Pentium E2160 / 1.8 GHz with 0.99GB of RAM. Can i even upgrade or should i just build one from start? I dont know much about this, any help would be greatly appreciated.  

Welcome to the Forum.

It would be much better for you to build a new machine if you want to run any relatively modern games. If you're considering building a new system, what's your budget and which country are you in? We can piece you a list of components should you wish to ask for our help.

Sig under construction.

Scrap it, New system

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

is it a DDR2 system, it's been years i didn't see a dual--core E serie. you may want to start again, from the 0.

Welcome to the Forum.

It would be much better for you to build a new machine if you want to run any relatively modern games. If you're considering building a new system, what's your budget and which country are you in? We can piece you a list of components should you wish to ask for our help.

Scrap it, New system

Ok, I see. I'll just start from scratch. Thanks.

Get a new machine. You'll love it.

i5 3570K @ 4.3Ghz Turbo (OC) | GIGABYTE G1 GTX 980 Ti | G.Skill 8GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 2TB

I actually have a friend with a very similar LGA775 configuration who wants to upgrade his components to a level where they can keep up with modern hardware-intensive titles. However, while you can in theory upgrade to a Core 2 Quad extreme edition and at least 4 gigabytes of RAM (8 if you have 4 slots on your motherboard), you'd still be paying a ton for these antique parts unless you can find some nice used deals in your area, and even so, it wouldn't perform nearly as well as today's components, and you'd already be at the end of your upgrade path.

I would recommend starting from scratch with a new platform, as upgrading your current LGA775 configuration simply won't yield satisfactory performance.

Here's a performance-per-dollar monster for you, which is great if you live in the USA.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-6100 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($121.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H-GSM Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($72.00 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Patriot Extreme Performance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($51.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Patriot Blaze 60GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($38.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($40.50 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 270X 2GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($152.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($23.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $532.41

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-30 16:07 EDT-0400

If that's a little out of your price range, decent gaming performance can be had for a lower price, although you'd have to sacrifice a few nice-to-haves and you'll be using an older platform (which still has a solid upgrade path, to be honest).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($58.50 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($41.40 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($35.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($40.50 @ SuperBiiz)

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Video Card  ($94.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($23.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ NCIX US)

Total: $320.35

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-10-30 16:11 EDT-0400

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA