Need to cool a 5820k

Rob-

Hello,

I recently decided it was time to change my 2500k for something better.

I decided to go with an I7 5820k and though it's better it runs a lot hotter. I've oc'd to 4.5Ghz and I'm seeing temps touch 80 under full load which isn't good at all.

Now for cooling at the moment I have a Corsair H105 which isn't enough.

I have a budget of around £300 to get some sort of custom loop going on, is that enough? If so, can you fix a list of things that I'll need from a UK site. 

Case is a Corsair 900D so space isn't really an issue.

sF6zuKO.jpg4GtvMYr.jpg  

I've built a fair few pcs but this will be my first time going near water cooling, any help would be appreciated.. Thanks!

What is your voltage? Also are you running pump at max rpm?

BTW corsair fans are shit, but 4 of them should be plenty.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

What is your voltage?

This is something I was wondering as well. When you overclocked the chip, did you just go "Alright, lets do this" and increased the voltage to as high you were comfortable and set the multiplier?

You could likely decrease the voltage by a bit to decrease some of your temperatures.

What is your voltage? Also are you running pump at max rpm?

BTW corsair fans are shit, but 4 of them should be plenty.

Vcore is 1.28.. Working my way down from 1.3

Also yes, the pump is running at max.

If you're not very experienced in custom watercooling I think I'd just suggest the EK AIO

They use  aftermarket parts that you'd find in a custom loop I'd just get one of those a 360 rad and call it a day, add on to it later if you want. maybe get an extra 3 fans for push/pull

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Vcore is 1.28.. Working my way down from 1.3

Also yes, the pump is running at max.

That's fairly decent, I would say.

If you really want to get yourself a custom loop, then look into a thick radiator. And something like this for a pump.

http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/d5-vario-with-front-cover-12-barbs

The only problem I have with the Corsair 900D, is well. It's just way too big. And is only really suited if you want a system loaded to the brim with everything imaginable. My brother has the same case as well. He likes it because of its size and potential. But welp, that's just some of my personal issues that I have with the 900D.

That is still pretty high imho, but then again I'm using a 280mm rad which is even better than 360mm versions (because the SA difference is small and the airflow difference is huge).

My Tmax at 4.5/1.3 was like 67C so perhaps that's not too awful. At my current settings (4.5/1.25) I cap out at 61C.

Either way those temps are good enough to keep things safe seeing as no game will come even close to a stress test load. 

BTW what test were you running to check that? I personally wouldn't use anything other than Intel XTU but it's personal preference either way.

(the reason I ask is different stress tests will give different Tmax results.)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Thanks for the replies!

If you're not very experienced in custom watercooling I think I'd just suggest the EK AIO

They use  aftermarket parts that you'd find in a custom loop I'd just get one of those a 360 rad and call it a day, add on to it later if you want. maybe get an extra 3 fans for push/pull

I'll check that out, it looks pretty nice.

That's fairly decent, I would say.

If you really want to get yourself a custom loop, then look into a thick radiator. And something like this for a pump.

http://www.xs-pc.com/water-pumps/d5-vario-with-front-cover-12-barbs

The only problem I have with the Corsair 900D, is well. It's just way too big. And is only really suited if you want a system loaded to the brim with everything imaginable. My brother has the same case as well. He likes it because of its size and potential. But welp, that's just some of my personal issues that I have with the 900D.

Noted, thanks.

I managed to get it cheap, only reason why i have it really.

That is still pretty high imho, but then again I'm using a 280mm rad which is even better than 360mm versions (because the SA difference is small and the airflow difference is huge).

My Tmax at 4.5/1.3 was like 67C so perhaps that's not too awful. At my current settings (4.5/1.25) I cap out at 61C.

Either way those temps are good enough to keep things safe seeing as no game will come even close to a stress test load. 

BTW what test were you running to check that? I personally wouldn't use anything other than Intel XTU but it's personal preference either way.

(the reason I ask is different stress tests will give different Tmax results.)

I'm using Asus Realbench for the testing and HwMonitor to check temps.

snip

I wouldn't worry about those temps if your gaming ones are below say 55C (which I'm sure they are.)

BTW if your case supports 280mm rads, which I have to assume it does, you really shouldn't be considering any of the EK parts as any decent 280mm rad with good fans (so like x61 or h110i gtx, with say FD Venturi fans) will preform better for cheaper. Also the x61 has a 5 year warranty.. so yea.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS