SM951 NVMe Transfer Speeds are incredible!

Master Disaster

So I got a Samsung SM951 overnighted to me yesterday which arrived a few hours ago.

After a clean install of Windows 10 and a few passes of Atto & Crystal Disk I was more than impressed, my old RAID0 SSD setup (SATA) gets around 850MB/s Seq Read and 700MB/s Seq Write, pretty impressive.

The NVMe SSD gets a monsterous 2300MBs Seq Read and 1600MB/s Seq Write.

Now the best part is when I copied GTA V & TW3 over from my old SSDs to my new SSD I was getting a sustained 800MB/s transfer speed!! That means it was totally saturating the old SATA Bus all the time, yeah when it did the smaller files (aka 4k writes) speed did drop down to the 300MB range but still.

That is insane!!!

post-153490-0-87112200-1445952464_thumb.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Yep...

Ahh, SSDs...

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

So I got a Samsung SM951 overnighted to me yesterday which arrived a few hours ago.

After a clean install of Windows 10 and a few passes of Atto & Crystal Disk I was more than impressed, my old RAID0 SSD setup (SATA) gets around 850Mb/s Seq Read and 700Mb/s Seq Write, pretty impressive.

The NVMe SSD gets a monsterous 2300Mbs /s Seq Read and 1600Mb/s Seq Write.

Now the best part is when I copied GTA V & TW3 over from my old SSDs to my new SSD I was getting a sustained 800Mb/s transfer speed!! That means it was totally saturating the old SATA Bus all the time, yeah when it did the smaller files (aka 4k writes) speed did drop down to the 300Mb range but still.

That is insane!!!

Welcome to 2015  :D  :D  :D

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

I'm wondering if the 950 pro will be worth the extra? Personally, I don't give 2 sh1ts about black PCB but if they offer a significant speed improvement over what I've already got (256GB AHCI SM951) I'll probably buy one...

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

I wonder how long it will take to die due to overheating...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I wonder how long it will take to die due to overheating...

Well my case is a decent case (Fractal Design XL R2.0) with really good cooling (if you've seen Lukes Fan Showdown video today on Vessel my setup matches his ideal setup (except I have 2 cpu fans on my 280mm rad blowing straight out of the top of my case not 1 fan blowing inside it like Lukes was) and the ambient temp in my case never goes above 25c (or at east I've never seen it go above that number anyway) so I'm really not worried about it at ll.

I'm wondering if the 950 pro will be worth the extra? Personally, I don't give 2 sh1ts about black PCB but if they offer a significant speed improvement over what I've already got (256GB AHCI SM951) I'll probably buy one...

From what I've seen they've sacraficed seq read and write speeds a little in order ti improve 4k read and writes a little which is a decent trade off however they're already talking about how the 950 termal throttles cause the controller gets so hot.

For my money its better to have a bare naked component in a well cooled case than one shrouded in plastic and placed away from any main cooling source (like a hdd cage for example).

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

They need to make little water cooling units for these things, with tiny tubes.

Well my case is a decent case (Fractal Design XL R2.0) with really good cooling (if you've seen Lukes Fan Showdown video today on Vessel my setup matches his ideal setup (except I have 2 cpu fans on my 280mm rad blowing straight out of the top of my case not 1 fan blowing inside it like Lukes was) and the ambient temp in my case never goes above 25c (or at east I've never seen it go above that number anyway) so I'm really not worried about it at ll.

The case and ambient temp doesn't matter

The issue is that the SSD ITSELF heats up a ton

M.2 SSDs in general already run hot and the samsung 950 M.2 SSDs are even worse

if you can find some way of measuring the temperature of the ssd you will see how dangerously hot it gets, over 50-60C which is really bad for nand

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The case and ambient temp doesn't matter

The issue is that the SSD ITSELF heats up a ton

M.2 SSDs in general already run hot and the samsung 950 M.2 SSDs are even worse

if you can find some way of measuring the temperature of the ssd you will see how dangerously hot it gets, over 50-60C which is really bad for nand

Of course it matters, if the ambient temp of the case is so much lower than the temp of the SSD then basic physics says that thermal exchange will happen from the hot object to the colder object cooling the hottor object down.

Plus one of my case fans is ideally positioned so that its blowing directly over the entire length of the top of the SSD, I couldn't have positioned the M.2 slot any better myself to get direct cooling from a 140mm case fan onto the SSD.

After a clean install of Windows 10 and a few passes of Atto & Crystal Disk I was more than impressed, my old RAID0 SSD setup (SATA) gets around 850MB/s Seq Read and 700MB/s Seq Write, pretty impressive.

The NVMe SSD gets a monsterous 2300MBs Seq Read and 1600MB/s Seq Write.

Now the best part is when I copied GTA V & TW3 over from my old SSDs to my new SSD I was getting a sustained 800MB/s transfer speed!! That means it was totally saturating the old SATA Bus all the time, yeah when it did the smaller files (aka 4k writes) speed did drop down to the 300MB range but still.

That is insane!!!

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

What temperature do you think this will get to if you put games on the 950 Pro and play it from the SSD or installing new games onto it.

GPU[Two GTX 980ti Lightnings overclocked]-CPU[Core i7 5930K, 4.4Ghz]-Motherboard[MSI X99 Godlike]-Case[Corsair 780t Black]-RAM[32GB Corsair Dominator 3000Mhz Light bars]-Storage[samsung 950 Pro 512GB, Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and Samsung 850 Pro 512GB]-CPU Cooler[EK Predator 360mm]-PSU[EVGA 1600w T2 Individual cables Red]-Monitor[ASUS PG348Q]-Keyboard[Corsair K70 Red]-Mouse[Corsair M65 RGB]-Headset[sennheiser G4me one]-Case Fans[beQuiet Silent Wings 2]

Of course it matters, if the ambient temp of the case is so much lower than the temp of the SSD then basic physics says that thermal exchange will happen from the hot object to the colder object cooling the hottor object down.

Plus one of my case fans is ideally positioned so that its blowing directly over the entire length of the top of the SSD, I couldn't have positioned the M.2 slot any better myself to get direct cooling from a 140mm case fan onto the SSD.

What I'm saying is that its the SSD that heats up, not that the ambient case temp heats up the SSD

you can have 15 or 20 degree ambient temp and your SSD will still run hot because its M.2

Plus it has no heatsink, which just makes it get even hotter

Theres a reason the intel 750 nvme SSDs have a massive aluminum heatspreader

you can get a temperature monitor or some program that read the temperature of your SSD

many reviewers have shown how hot it gets, and thats definitely not healthy or its lifespan

Spoiler

Love that speed.

Like others, I'd like to see heat sensor gun readings when its under load.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

What I'm saying is that its the SSD that heats up, not that the ambient case temp heats up the SSD

you can have 15 or 20 degree ambient temp and your SSD will still run hot because its M.2

Plus it has no heatsink, which just makes it get even hotter

Theres a reason the intel 750 nvme SSDs have a massive aluminum heatspreader

you can get a temperature monitor or some program that read the temperature of your SSD

many reviewers have shown how hot it gets, and thats definitely not healthy or its lifespan

I've heard someone ssuggest to buy a tiny heatsink and stick it to the SSD in order to help with temps.

The problem right now is i cant find anything which will recognise the SSD in a way as to read data from it. Crystal Disk Mark will bench the drive no problem but Crystal Info and Speccy both dont show it at all. AIDA64 does show it but doesn't show any SMART status or Temp data.

I've heard someone ssuggest to buy a tiny heatsink and stick it to the SSD in order to help with temps.

The problem right now is i cant find anything which will recognise the SSD in a way as to read data from it. Crystal Disk Mark will bench the drive no problem but Crystal Info and Speccy both dont show it at all. AIDA64 does show it but doesn't show any SMART status or Temp data.

oh thats weird, they must have compatibility problems with nvme then

or maybe nvme doesnt have smart? idk

you can use a laser thermometer to read the temp from the chip, those are pretty cheap on amazon

or some pc fan controllers have temp sensors on a cable that you could tape to the SSD

you should definitely put a heatsink on it, use some arctic silver thermal adhesive or double sided thermal tape

the arctic silver isnt removable though, thermal tape would be safer

Spoiler

@Enderman

So AIDA64 prompted me to update to a beta version today, I did and now it has a temp sensor reading for the Samsung SM951, still no SMART status yet so its either the drive doesn't support SMART or they're taking their sweet time adding support for it.

As it turns out my drive is running at an identical temperature to my WD Black, around 32c. The screenshot below was taken after a 10GB file transfer had just finished from my SATA SSDS to the NVMe SSD.

post-153490-0-18988500-1446196602_thumb.

I don't see that as am issue? Yeah its running at the same temp as a mechanical drive which I do agree is kinda insane but that temp isn't exactly melting point.

@Enderman

So AIDA64 prompted me to update to a beta version today, I did and now it has a temp sensor reading for the Samsung SM951, still no SMART status yet so its either the drive doesn't support SMART or they're taking their sweet time adding support for it.

As it turns out my drive is running at an identical temperature to my WD Black, around 32c. The screenshot below was taken after a 10GB file transfer had just finished from my SATA SSDS to the NVMe SSD.

attachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

I don't see that as am issue? Yeah its running at the same temp as a mechanical drive which I do agree is kinda insane but that temp isn't exactly melting point.

yeah one file isnt going to do much to heat it up

extended writes will

Spoiler

Spoiler