Steam Will Start Supporting New Currencies, Including (₹)INR, From November 3rd

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

It was previously reported that Steam would be supporting new regional currencies, including but not limited to our beloved INR or the Indian Rupee. Now we know that the support for said currencies are coming sooner rather than later. An image from a closed Steam developers group tells us that Steam is going to start officially supporting INR starting the 3rd of November, 2015.

Along with INR, support for the Hong King Dollar, Taiwan Dollar and Chinese Yuan Renminbi is also coming on the same day while support for currencies such as the Swiss Franc, South Korean Won, South African Rand, Chilean Peso, Colombian Peso, Peruvian Nuevo Sol, Saudi Arabian Riyal and United Arab Emirates Dirham is coming at a later date through November and beyond.

ss-2015-10-24-at-10.58.58.png?resize=632

According to Valve, localizing new currency and payment methods in a region has always lead to strong growth for said region. Which is obviously a good indication since India currently makes about 0.1% of Steam’s total global traffic even though it’s the country with the largest youth population in the world. Piracy is rampant in India and a move like this will certainly have a positive effect in the long run.

Other than the high probability that everyone will be able to buy games at a much cheaper rate from Steam in India due to this change, (I’m guessing the rates are going to be similar to retail prices. Eg. 60$ games will start being available for 1000-1,500 ₹) it can also means that Steam will probably start supporting Debit cards and other methods of payment. Perhaps it’ll even implement services such as PayTm?

It’s not all good news though. Support for the new currencies will mean that games bought in said countries will also be region locked and this will probably be a negative for the grey market that’s arguably thriving in India at the moment.

Steam-INR.jpg

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Aaannndddd, Yet again, Australia has been neglected. fml... How come New Zealand gets their own currency, and we dont. this is an outrage!!!

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

do you want to be paying $4.99 for a csgo key? lol

Wouldn't they already be doing that with currency conversion.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Wouldn't they already be doing that with currency conversion.

yeah but when it evens out in the long term it will be horrible

Where's Australian dollar, come on steam!

Aaannndddd, Yet again, Australia has been neglected. fml... How come New Zealand gets their own currency, and we dont. this is an outrage!!!

Damn it.. i think the reason Australia dollar is not on it because current dollar atm. 

Magical Pineapples

do you want to be paying $4.99 for a csgo key? lol

Well... more likely to be 3.50 AUD

Magical Pineapples

Most games will go down in price respectively. But there are a few publishers like Activision and WB that actually do a direct conversion in which case it will stay the same or even increase prices.

However it's also a quick way to tell which Publishers are worth doing business with if you ask me.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Where is ISR (Israeli New Shekels) :((

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

Shit part about no Australian Dollar in Steam is the added fees for currency conversion on top of the purchase price plus credit card fees for those that pay that way. Great for the banks profits, not for our wallets.

As a New Zealander, I would have preferred to keep USD. Some games cost like $10-30 more than what they would have with the exchange rates the way they were.

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

when NOK came, games got all around cheaper :) 

but if you compare he prizes now, I think its probably back to what the prizes whas before the change or worse

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking