Reasons people don't use Linux as daily OS?

Good day to all. I've recently undergone a bit of a transformation in my life.

For the first time ever, my desktop computer no longer contains a Microsoft Windows operating system. I've run just about every distro going in the past 10 years or so, and they're all great *forces smile* other than Gentoo. Gentoo is/was not great.

I'm using elementaryOS at the moment, on its own, without any kind of VM or similar.

The thing I noticed the most since ditching dual booting is not having Grub (pretty sure I see the grub menu in my sleep).

Anyway, after giving up playing large amounts of Fifa, I realised that my neediness for Windows was no longer. 

Stuff I use my PC for:

• Football Manager (and a handful of other games)
  • Social Media (FB, Twitter, Youtube, LTT Forum)
  • Photo editing (PS AI)
  • Web development (pHp)
  • Light audio recording
  • Music & Videos
  • Online Poker
  • DTP (Documents, Presentations, Spreadsheets)

Anyway, I was just wondering what the good folk here are doing that can only be done on Windows? (please don't list your Steam libraries or just say "VIDEO EDITING") Thanks :)

Discuss...

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3

Seriously, though.. I play games. Who uses Linux for that?!?!?

I watch YouTube (I hate FireFox.)

I play video games (How many Steam games are on Linux? Like, <40%??

I browse the web

That's about all I do with my computer. I don't get the hate of Windows, other than it's horrible. I enjoy it, great layout, great programs, it runs good, and I can do whatever I want on it.

dhRSPr2.png

How many of those are on Linux?

Not knocking it, when I've used it I liked it, but it makes no sense for me to use.

I used to be quite active here.

To be honest, I love Linux, I use it for my daily OS (openSUSE for desktop, Ubuntu for laptop).

But my friends hate Linux, I believe because...

1. They don't want to learn lots of terminal commands.
  2. They aren't used to it, need to adapt.
  3. Less softwares that are compatible with it.
  4. They just don't want Linux, because they haven't studied about it, I mean they studied how to use Windows in elementary school.

Although what they do is only for work (girls) which Linux obviously can do, the boys love gaming, and yeah...

Linux has less games compared to Windows.

Even if they use Ubuntu, which is known for its "New User" friendly, I bet they'll feel something wrong, because they just don't want to learn Linux.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I will say my steam library, and programming IDEs and such.  Lots of IDEs and creative software, but I guess mostly the reason I don't run linux as my normal OS is purely because I'm used to Windows, and always know that if there is a program I need that I can find it or something similar for Windows.  Can't get that guarantee on Linux.  Now, I'm thinking of building a second machine and I'm also thinking I'll try to just use Linux on it.  By the way, why wasn't Gentoo good?  I hear it's mostly for advanced developers (so I instantly wanted to master it) but what makes it hard/bad/good?

Join the Appleitionist cause! See spoiler below for answers to common questions that shouldn't be common!

Spoiler

Q: Do I have a virus?!
A: If you didn't click a sketchy email, haven't left your computer physically open to attack, haven't downloaded anything sketchy/free, know that your software hasn't been exploited in a new hack, then the answer is: probably not.

Q: What email/VPN should I use?
A: Proton mail and VPN are the best for email and VPNs respectively. (They're free in a good way)

Q: How can I stay anonymous on the (deep/dark) webzz???....

A: By learning how to de-anonymize everyone else; if you can do that, then you know what to do for yourself.

Q: What Linux distro is best for x y z?

A: Lubuntu for things with little processing power, Ubuntu for normal PCs, and if you need to do anything else then it's best if you do the research yourself.

Q: Why is my Linux giving me x y z error?

A: Have you not googled it? Are you sure StackOverflow doesn't have an answer? Does the error tell you what's wrong? If the answer is no to all of those, message me.

Gaming.
I heard some drivers are not available for linux because of the fact that it is open source. Not sure about the validity/ correctness of this though.

CPU: Intel i5-4590 | Motherboard: Asus H97M-E | GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Sandisk Plus 240Gb HDD: Seagate 250Gb  | PSU: Seasonic G650 80+ Gold | Case: NZXT S340

I am who I am.

-snip-

Since until about 2 years ago I only used the basic functions of computers, I'm still new to the computer world (relative to my age), and using Windows on my daily driver allows ease of compatibility for pretty much everything. I have been learning a LOT about computers in the past 2 years and I'm starting to delve into Linux (and taking several IT courses), but I will probably always use Windows on my main rig, but I am planning on building a secondary modern system that will use Linux for programming projects.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

For the first time ever, my desktop computer no longer contains a Microsoft Windows operating system. I've run just about every distro going in the past 10 years or so, and they're all great *forces smile* other than Gentoo. Gentoo is/was not great.

I'm using elementaryOS at the moment, on its own, without any kind of VM or similar.

The thing I noticed the most since ditching dual booting is not having Grub (pretty sure I see the grub menu in my sleep).

Anyway, after giving up playing large amounts of Fifa, I realised that my neediness for Windows was no longer. 

Stuff I use my PC for:

• Photo editing (PS AI)
  • Web development (pHp)
  • Light audio recording
  • Music & Videos
  • Online Poker

Anyway, I was just wondering what the good folk here are doing that can only be done on Windows? (please don't list your Steam libraries or just say "VIDEO EDITING") Thanks :)

Discuss...

WHAT I LIKE COMPILING MY GENTOO TAKE THAT BACK!

Just kidding, I enjoy my Debian.

I play video games (How many Steam games are on Linux? Like, >40%??

I browse the web

That's about all I do with my computer. I don't get the hate of Windows, other than it's horrible. I enjoy it, great layout, great programs, it runs good, and I can do whatever I want on it.

dhRSPr2.png

Not knocking it, when I've used it I liked it, but it makes no sense for me to use.

25% of steam games on linux

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Wow, editing our existing posts now are we, and also. did you actually read the op's post, he said don't list your fucking steam libraries.

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Discuss...

>video editing

Why would that be an issue on Linux? KdenLive is feature-equivalent (or just about) to Sony Vegas Pro and it's free. That is high praise, as far as I understand it. 

https://kdenlive.org/

When you want to do anything that's not easily or directly supported on Linux, other things tend to break should you not know how to or actively fix them. That already creates a huge barrier to entry for most people who feel they don't care about computers enough to fix them every time they break something (even on Windows). 

Windows breaks, ofc, but since it has a lot more support, installing a program to do this or that one thing doesn't break something else. 

Sound is a pain on Linux for anyone who doesn't like configuring an OS in general, for example. 

Today, I had to look up and install a package on my PC just to get it to see my Android phone (since it uses MTP or Media Transfer Protocol and doesn't just appear as a USB storage drive like you'd imagine it would). That's already too much work for most people to do something simple that they feel an OS should do automatically (especially considering how close Linux & Android are, that's silly to have to do imo). 

I'm using Debian 8.2 Jessie as my OS (no dual boot atm), but I will be installing Windows 10 and dual-booting it because I want to play Tales of Zestiria which is Windows only. Other than gaming, I don't need Windows.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Stuff I use my PC for:

• Photo editing (PS AI)
  • Web development (pHp)
  • Light audio recording
  • Music & Videos
  • Online Poker

Discuss...

Since it has NO support for any sort of good game  :/ else it would be great since its free !

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

snip

It was 4-5 years ago, and I hadn't really used KDE before then. I just remember having lots of trouble getting it set up to do anything useful for me, like flash player, or OpenOffice. I can't really say I've used it very much since, but the idea I get is that it has the cutting edge and customisability of Arch, but without the front end finesse

Eeh, by gum.

ThrustJetViperPowerMustang: FX-6100 @4.4GHz (Stock Cooler) / 4x4GB Hyperam @ 1333MHz / OCZ Octane 250GB SSD / Asus HD6670 2GDDR3 / Asus M5A78LM-USB3

I didn't actually think it was as many as that :o

Eeh, by gum.

I play video games (How many Steam games are on Linux? Like, <40%??

I browse the web

dhRSPr2.png

Did you read the bottom.

AND ALSO, CAN YOU STOP USING BIG FUCKING FONT IT PISSES EVERYONE OFF AND DOESN'T GET YOUR POINT THROUGH ANY BETTER, JUST FUCKING STOP!

Ladies,ladies,ladies just calm down. Everyone will get a chance to lick each other ice cream okay? You can lick my first if you insist. 

The main reason is that there is almost 100 different distributions and most people just want to use the one version of an OS. 

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core 12 Threads Motherboard TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING RAM 32GB Dual-Channel DDR4 GPU 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Case be quiet! White OS Linux Mint Cinnamon

Yeah, but how many of those are 10 minute $0.50 games, and how many are what people would call "A+" games? i.e. games that are actually known outside of a very small circle of people.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Stuff I use my PC for:

• Photo editing (PS AI)
  • Web development (pHp)
  • Light audio recording
  • Music & Videos
  • Online Poker

Discuss...

U WANNA KNOW WHY I LIKE LINUX?!?!??!??!?!?!?

BECAUSE ITS FREE

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

U WANNA KNOW WHY I LIKE LINUX?!?!??!??!?!?!?

BECAUSE ITS FREE

True... lol :P

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

>video editing -snip-

I've not used it for a couple of years, and it used to crash every 15 minutes for no reason, wherever I ran it. Assuming it works now though, it is an exceptional piece of software. FWIW, my on-board sound card works better in Linux than it does in Windows 10 at the minute, but I'm hoping that VIA sort out a functioning driver soon.

Eeh, by gum.

So I use Arch as my daily OS. I do boot into windows from time to time for certain games. (Witcher 3, MGSV & Soon Fallout 4) But most of the games I play regularly (mainly Cities Skylines) are playable under Linux.

Also not really sure what you have against Gentoo. Gentoo isn't bad because it is literally up to the user to compile, optimise and install everything. If you had a bad experience It's probably your own fault. 

I don't really understand why more people don't use Linux. From a gaming perspective I get it. Hardware wise everything just seems to work under Linux. For the majority of people it would save a lot of hassles. For example plugged a PS3 Eye into my computer. Linux it just works. Windows 8/8.1/10 Even after going and finding some bodged together driver and being able to get it to work in the demo window. It won't work in anything other than the demo window.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Windows is a much nicer and polished OS than LINUX

I'm assuming you've either never used Linux, Or just have not used a very refined distro.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 

-snip-

Also not really sure what you have against Gentoo. Gentoo isn't bad because it is literally up to the user to compile, optimise and install everything. If you had a bad experience It's probably your own fault. 

I have nothing against it per se, I just wouldn't use it as my daily OS. I feel it's much more suited to server applications. I did definitely have a bad experience though. 

Eeh, by gum.

I have nothing against it per se, I just wouldn't use it as my daily OS. I feel it's much more suited to server applications. I did definitely have a bad experience though. 

I think it is just tailored to the people who actually want to do everything themselves.

The reason I use Arch is because I can't be bothered compiling everything.... and AUR.

Spoiler