Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Microsoft Phones Still losing money despite new devices :(

Wonder who's fault it is the lack of apps on microsoft store, Microsoft or the devs ? seriously how long windows phone been on market should't all the apps that are mostly avaible on android or ios also be avaible on windows phone by now ?

I have app to control lights at home but windows phone does't have that app, and so it continues.

I blame devs as developing for Windows Phone is supposedly easy now and MS has great support if you get any problems during development.

Not sure about this but I think MS had like a reward system where they would reward devs that got an amount of apps released but not sure. Maybe @GoodBytes knows ?

You can't put the blame solely on the developers or Microsoft. They are both to blame. If you ask me I think most of the blame is on Microsoft because of how badly they fucked up WP in the beginning (which is why it never took off).

Right now it is a chicken-and-egg problem. No developer wants to spend time and money developing for WP because the audience is so small it's not worth it, and the audience won't become bigger unless apps become available.

Microsoft had the chance with Windows Phone 7. But WP7 was terrible. It was really behind when it was released, and Microsoft barely updated it for like a year (the major updates it got added copy/paste and CDMA support... That was it for an entire year of updates). After that year they added a few more things like updating the browser to IE9 and allowing "multi-tasking" (a really terrible version that just suspended the process). It also took them 2 years to get the OS out to a lot of other countries that weren't supported in the initial release.

Even when the OS was out it was 1 or 2 generations behind in terms of hardware because Microsoft did not support the latest things.

In the same time Microsoft did that, Android went from version 2.2 to version 4.1. They were just sitting on their asses picking their noses while the rest of the smartphone industry was evolving like crazy. What Microsoft should have done to succeed was to release updates much faster than Android, and on the latest and greatest hardware. But they didn't. They didn't want to give WP that much commitment and as a result nobody wanted to buy phones that ran it and the developers that were on board (which were quite a few at the start) jumped off the sinking ship. And because of that we have ended up with this bad circle of "no users => No apps => no users => no apps => ...".

Android got where they are now, meaning always being considered, because Android users are VERY vocal, VERY energetic in pressuring not only an app version of their phone, but also every single little update that iOS has. So now, developers don't hesitate, iOS + Android on everything. The rest: User our web site, or here is some (many of the time, from what I am told) half ass-ed web wrapper app.

Windows Phone users needs to be vocal like this, but so far they aren't really. They did pushed mint for an app, but once they got it, they stopped. The pressure should always been on them, none stop. The developers must see: Hey people are using our app on Windows Phone, they really want it.

Are you kidding me? WP users are very vocal. It's just that there are barely any people in the crowd. It's a handful of very loud and obnoxious users while on Android it was the opposite. It was a huge crowd of not so vocal people that when combined were very loud and obnoxious.

And you don't have to tell developers that you are using the app because they got the numbers already. They can see exactly how many people download their app and use it. The problem is that on WP that number is very low.

Read the comment section on this, then come back and tell me WP users aren't vocal. If you can do that with a straight face then you are the world's best liar.

The reason why nobody seems to care to develop for Windows Phone is because it only has 2.5% market share (in Q2 2015). That is almost as bad as GNU/Linux on desktops (1.74), and most developers don't give a crap about writing their programs for GNU/Linux distros either. If it had 70% market share like Android did back in 2012 then your strategy might have worked. When it's 70% of users make 70% of the noise then that's understandable. When it's 2.5% of users making 70% of the noise then it is just annoying and people want them to shut up.

What about Windows Bridge for Android? (Previously known as Project Astoria)

https://dev.windows.com/en-us/bridges/android

With developer options enabled, you can install apks on a Windows Phone, provided its running WP10

No, you can't install apks on Windows Phone 10. Windows Bridge for Android is what I explained here:

Project Astoria is not an emulator though. Astoria is a collection of APIs that are mapped to Android APIs (I believe API level 19 but I am not 100% sure). So it's more of a software compatibility layer (which will require rewriting some parts). The benefits are that it won't have as big of a performance hit (if any at all) as an emulator but the drawback is that the developers will have to put in time and effort to port their apps still.

You won't be able to install Android apps on Windows Phone. What it does enable is developers to reuse a lot of their Android code when making Windows Phone apps. Running the APKs would require a compatibility layer or emulator. The Windows Bridge for Android is neither of those things.

Like android is perfect yet don't see phone makers run away from it which they honestly should be doing already, update system is terrible and scattered and mostly responsibility of phone makers not google, as long stuff don't change it will only go downhill, on top of that google cannot even keep there own nexus devices running smooth just look at nexus 7 on android 5.0

Windows phone is developed enough right now for app devs to focus also on windows phone.

Like android is perfect yet don't see phone makers run away from it which they honestly should be doing already, update system is terrible and scattered and mostly responsibility of phone makers not google, as long stuff don't change it will only go downhill, on top of that google cannot even keep there own nexus devices running smooth just look at nexus 7 on android 5.0

Windows phone is developed enough right now for app devs to focus also on windows phone.

The problem is the that OEMs actually think Android is good and in the average Consumer's mind Android is good. Despite the fact that its not. Reviewers also tend to have a negative bias towards Windows Phone and don't forgive anything whereas they forgive a whole load of things if Google gets something wrong. 

The root of the problem might be the fact that Android isn't regulated a whole ton and we have too many Android OEMs

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill

iPhone 8 Plus (Mid 2019 to present)

Samaritan XL (Early 2018 - present with 2019 GPU upgrade and 2020 RAM upgrade and 2020 HDD upgrade) - AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (8C/16T) , MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon, Corsair 32GB Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666 (2020) ,  Asus ROG Strix RX Vega 56 , Corsair RM850i PSU, Corsair H100i v2 CPU Cooler, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SSD, Seagate BarraCuda 6TB HDD (2020) , NZXT S340 Elite, Corsair ML 120 Pro, Corsair ML 140 Pro

The problem is the that OEMs actually think Android is good and in the average Consumer's mind Android is good. Despite the fact that its not. Reviewers also tend to have a negative bias towards Windows Phone and don't forgive anything whereas they forgive a whole load of things if Google gets something wrong. 

The root of the problem might be the fact that Android isn't regulated a whole ton and we have too many Android OEMs

I don't think that's just windows phone but Microsoft in general, good example would be Microsoft came with first tablet everyone hated it, then Apple came with same thing everyone all hyped up excited as if its best invention ever.

Back on Android, doubt it they should just man up and start updating all devices at once, any new android devices that release after 2016-2017 get updated by google, anything before that won't for legal reasons for example.

I don't think that's just windows phone but Microsoft in general, good example would be Microsoft came with first tablet everyone hated it, then Apple came with same thing everyone all hyped up excited as if its best invention ever.

1) Apple did not come up with "the same thing". PC tablets from <2010 were terrible to use.

2) The first iPad got a ton of crap, and it deserved 90% of it. It was shit as well. The only people who were calling it the best invention ever were fanboys.

Back on Android, doubt it they should just man up and start updating all devices at once, any new android devices that release after 2016-2017 get updated by google, anything before that won't for legal reasons for example.

That would never work. Updating phones is not a matter of just pushing a button and everything works. There is a reason why Microsoft just said "fuck it. We won't update any Windows Phone 7 devices to Windows Phone 8." Every single update has to be custom tailored to every single phone (for some reason I don't know of).

Making Google update all phones would not only put an unrealistic amount of work on Google (making to custom tailor the OS for thousands of phones every update), but it would also slow down innovation and evolution. The last part would happen because, as bad as skins are, they do actually contribute a ton to the evolution. A lot of the things that is in stock Android today started out as additions made to OEM skins.

I was on at&t, I have a Lumia 920, only verison got the Icon and 735, my family switched to tmobile, and only at&t get the 950 from what it sounds like, the 950 xl is going to be available on at&t and tmobile through the microsoft store, but I dont want the XL, too big...

Microsoft's biggest problem is not everyone who bloody wants their phones can even get them...

My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

Never know about this. Sounds not possible, as there are numerous users out there, but we didn't feel the same....

I was on at&t, I have a Lumia 920, only verison got the Icon and 735, my family switched to tmobile, and only at&t get the 950 from what it sounds like, the 950 xl is going to be available on at&t and tmobile through the microsoft store, but I dont want the XL, too big...

Microsoft's biggest problem is not everyone who bloody wants their phones can even get them...

Yes sorta...

MS stopped messing with the providers and started selling through their own store front instead. Verizon can go shove a stick ups its *** with the way it treated windows phone owners. T mobile isn't to far behind these days. I am glad MS has decided go the way it has with selling directly to the consumer. Tmobile and Verizon are stuck on primarily selling the iPhones as if they are worth more than gold.

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "the best way to learn is to teach" ~ Benjamin Jantz

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

My phones are a Samsung Note 9 and a Samsung S9+

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

1) Apple did not come up with "the same thing". PC tablets from <2010 were terrible to use.

2) The first iPad got a ton of crap, and it deserved 90% of it. It was shit as well. The only people who were calling it the best invention ever were fanboys.

Yes MS and IBM may have started the pc/tablet wave but Apple jumped on and perfected the design. This happens all the time in other industries as well.

Nothing against Apple for doing this and I am glad they (or somebody did this) but they hang on it way to much. Kinda like the kid that broke the all time high score and wont let up on it like he invented the strategy but borrowed the strategy from someone else just didn't admit it.  ;)

Tech News Posting Guidelines - READ BEFORE POSTING | Community Standards | Forum Staff

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ | F@H Contribution | My Rig | Project Steamroller

Spoiler

†  

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

I am a StarCitizen are you? My ships: Aegis Eclipse, Aegis Sabre, Aegis Gladius, Aopoa Nox, KI P52 Merlin, KI P72 Archimedes and the RSI Constellation Aquila.

🇺🇸   About Myself:   https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/229093-sansvarnic/?tab=field_core_pfield_46   🇺🇸

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Windows phones are bad and they should feel bad.

I disagree, I think that the OS is great but as people have said... App support is a huge deciding factor. If I had to pick I'd choose iOS and Windows 10 for my phone, constant updates and security features being the main reason I avoid Android. 

That said, with W10 ROMS being released for Android handsets... I could see them gaining a bit of market share for people who like to test things. 

PC Part Picker Link || CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 5Ghz; MB: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400; GFX: Asus Strix 1080ti; CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass; STORAGE: 500GB Samsung 960 Pro, 250GB 850 Evo, 500GB 850 Evo, 3TB WD Red; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; MONITOR: Acer Predator X34; PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Chroma; Razer Deathadder Chroma, Audeze Mobius

Devices || Macbook Pro 15" (2016); iPad Pro 9.7"; iPhone Xr

Audio Gear || Headphones: Audeze iSine20; Audeze LCD-X; Audeze LCD-3; Mr Speakers Ether 2; Focal Clear; B&O H5; Sony MDR-1000x; AMP/DAC: Chord Qutest; Pathos Aurium; Bryston BHA-1; Matrix Audio Element X; Benchmark AHB2; Speakers: AudioEngine A5+; Focal Aria 936

I disagree, I think that the OS is great but as people have said... App support is a huge deciding factor. If I had to pick I'd choose iOS and Windows 10 for my phone, constant updates and security features being the main reason I avoid Android. 

That said, with W10 ROMS being released for Android handsets... I could see them gaining a bit of market share for people who like to test things. 

Yup Android updates what? at the minimum once a week? WP updates about 3-5 time a year and iOS updates about same I think.

Spoiler

†  

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Yup Android updates what? at the minimum once a week? WP updates about 3-5 time a year and iOS updates about same I think.

implying less updates means the phone OS is more secure.

Yes sorta...

MS stopped messing with the providers and started selling through their own store front instead. Verizon can go shove a stick ups its *** with the way it treated windows phone owners. T mobile isn't to far behind these days. I am glad MS has decided go the way it has with selling directly to the consumer. Tmobile and Verizon are stuck on primarily selling the iPhones as if they are worth more than gold.

Except they havent stopped messing around... I just said in my post that the 950 is exclusive to AT&T and its only the 950XL that is available unlocked through the microsoft store and even then only for AT&T or T-Mobile :/ I might settle for the 950XL even though I think its too big and wanted the 950. Either that or ill just switch to android :/ I really do prefer the windows phone platform though :/

My System - Featuring Custom Laser Etching: (Out of Date - Need to update with current system pictures)
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/11149-my-custom-rig-ft-custom-laser-etching/

implying less updates means the phone OS is more secure.

Not really, Remember apple owners gloated that macs were impervious to attacks....until it happened.  :P

But seriously if there is constant updates of the like android gets I cant use it, as it disrupts the software especially the 3rd party apps.

WP, iOS and Blackberry has always had stronger security built in. Oh yes and remember the chart Linus showed in the WAN show about how insecure Android is. 

Spoiler

†  

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Android gets updates weekly? My work Android is lucky to get an update once a year... I *JUST* got pushed the update from 4.0 to 5.0 on my A5. Cheers, Samsung. 

PC Part Picker Link || CPU: Intel i7 4790K @ 5Ghz; MB: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400; GFX: Asus Strix 1080ti; CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Glass; STORAGE: 500GB Samsung 960 Pro, 250GB 850 Evo, 500GB 850 Evo, 3TB WD Red; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; MONITOR: Acer Predator X34; PERIPHERALS: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Chroma; Razer Deathadder Chroma, Audeze Mobius

Audio Gear || Headphones: Audeze iSine20; Audeze LCD-X; Audeze LCD-3; Mr Speakers Ether 2; Focal Clear; B&O H5; Sony MDR-1000x; AMP/DAC: Chord Qutest; Pathos Aurium; Bryston BHA-1; Matrix Audio Element X; Benchmark AHB2; Speakers: AudioEngine A5+; Focal Aria 936

Android gets updates weekly? My work Android is lucky to get an update once a year... I *JUST* got pushed the update from 4.0 to 5.0 on my A5. Cheers, Samsung. 

Every Android phone I have used for work got at least one or two update a week for the time I had them. Drove me nuts. It was like 'really another one already?'  <_<

Spoiler

†  

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Every Android phone I have used for work got at least one or two update a week for the time I had them. Drove me nuts. It was like 'really another one already?'  <_<

I'm from New Zealand. This would imply that updates are not global and are very dependent on the region you're based in.... So chances are you're 12-18 months ahead of me in your updates. 

When was the last time you heard someone say. "Ohh i cant wait till that lumia phone comes out"

*Raises hand*

I said it a couple months ago.

:ph34r:

Spoiler

†  

CHRISTIAN MEMBER