Microsoft Phones Still losing money despite new devices :(

AlTech

Yes!

Just like Russian roulette. <_<  Seriously WHY???!!!

(Rhetorical question)

Or the hundreds of flashlights...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I have a windows phone. They stopped supporting it a couple of months after I got it... I don't feel bad for them in the slightest.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

I have a windows phone. They stopped supporting it a couple of months after I got it... I don't feel bad for them in the slightest.

Which model?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Something to keep in mind is that Microsoft do not allow third party browsers on Windows Phone (just like Apple). So at most we might get a Chrome skin around Internet Explorer for Windows phone. We won't get Chrome with Blink and V8.

Don't hate on Windows Phone OS if you aren't even willing to do basic fact checking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UC_Browser#Windows_Phone

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Which model?

A Lumia 610, so a windows phone 7 device. I got it in October, they released windows phone 8 in November, and support for 7 got even worse support then it already had.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Don't hate on Windows Phone OS if you aren't even willing to do basic fact checking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UC_Browser#Windows_Phone

UC browser uses IE as a foundation, so its not a complete browser if you know what I mean. On android, Chrome and Mozilla(Dolphin, UC, Maxthon, etc.) can use the AOSP browser or Chrome(I think, maybe chromium code) as its foundation, but most of these browsers are completely their own.

If you use UC on WP, it has the same limitations and bugs as IE(like still not supporting FTP, or not being able to use the full editor here on LTT).

A Lumia 610, so a windows phone 7 device. I got it in October, they released windows phone 8 in November, and support for 7 got even worse support then it already had.

I admit WP7 had bad support only due to the service providers. I never got the last update (7.5) because T-mobile wouldn't release it.

Support improved drastically with WP8 as MS threw up the finger on Service Providers and started forcing the updates through, I think most of the updates I have received through WP8 have been direct from MS and if T-Mobile added anything it came afterward.

I know that WP10 is supposed to be similar with the article that came out not long ago saying the OS's are going to stick it to the Service Provider and send OS updates direct to phones and providers can complain all they want.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

In that case it was cos it had not enough ram. IT had 26Mb when WP8 required 512Mb.

There was WP7.8 for WP7 users!.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Again. What apps you missing?

just bought a surveillance system for home, guess what's missing? the Windows Phone app

they have both the Android and the IOS version

just bought a surveillance system for home, guess what's missing? the Windows Phone app

they have both the Android and the IOS version

You do know that those home security systems have very weak security systems. You don't have a direct connection to it, it goes on the cloud (your video feed), and doesn't use the most secure system. It can be easily compromised.

Also, it should work via web browser, if they did their system well.

You do know that those home security systems have very weak security systems. You don't have a direct connection to it, it goes on the cloud (your video feed), and doesn't use the most secure system. It can be easily compromised.

Also, it should work via web browser, if they did their system well.

I gave an example; furthermore, good luck adding 3rd party video codecs to a mobile browser

sa for "the cloud" - there is no cloud, it's sunny

If possible they should release a version of WP 10 you can install on popular Android phones. I'd imagine if people could have an easy to run installer to change from Android to WP 10 they would and if a few million people switched it wouldn't be hard to convince some devs to start making more apps.

If possible they should release a version of WP 10 you can install on popular Android phones. I'd imagine if people could have an easy to run installer to change from Android to WP 10 they would and if a few million people switched it wouldn't be hard to convince some devs to start making more apps.

A while back they're trying to make a ROM like Android for WP10.

But a big problem is the file system. WP uses a file system more akin to a computer file system than what android and IOS uses. Not to mention a completely different kernel. 

I think we may see microsoft selling USBs with WP10 on it for Android Users to upgrade since Windows is free on all devices under 8 inches.

What would be awesome is if Microsoft includes a Android emulator. This is not new for Microsoft. Visual Studio now has an Android emulator

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/features/msft-android-emulator-vs.aspx

I HIGHLY doubt that Windows 10 Mobile will have that, else Preview users would be using it, but maybe (crossing fingers) Windows 10.1 Mobile. (of course, you need to exclude games, and expect lower battery life and longer app startup, but hey Android apps)

What would be awesome is if Microsoft includes a Android emulator. This is not new for Microsoft. Visual Studio now has an Android emulator

https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/features/msft-android-emulator-vs.aspx

I HIGHLY bought that Windows 10 Mobile will have that, else Preview users would be using it, but maybe (crossing fingers) Windows 10.1 Mobile. (of course, you need to exclude games, and expect lower battery life and longer app startup, but hey Android apps)

May want to change that "bought".

Another thing I find rather lacking is the argument the Windows phone store "has so little number of apps to offer" and I say to this. Who has more than 50 apps loaded on their phone? Its the number of available apps its the number of available quality apps.

So why does it matter that Win Phones have a smaller number apps have to do with phone acceptance? It does not.

The thing is that when an app maker releases an app for all OS's, it falls on that app maker to give support to that app not the os provider. I cant stand it that I get an app that is good and I like it then find out that it hasn't been updated for a year and do some research and find out that the app maker has released 5-12 updates for the app on iOS and/or Android but left Win Phone to rot. Ridiculous and lazy.

This is why people say that Win phones sucks for app support because the app makers Suck Ass and don't follow up. I have found plenty of apps that suit my need on Win Phone but I see no reason to switch from it just to get a few apps that are supported better for the other OS. App makers need to be held accountable here and I suppose maybe MS should do a better job of it but at this point I see if MS was to get on them they would bail all together.

Now don't get me wrong there are many apps out there on the Win Phone that are great and even better suited than whats available for ios and android and several that are equally supported. But I am tired of hearing the sad wining and crying about how Win Phone suck just because of Apps. Win Phones are great devices and hold their own against the others especially on the hardware part. 

Had to rant.  ^_^

That does not solve the issue people have though. Just look at me for example. I posted a list of 22 apps I am missing on Windows Phone. Sure it's not Microsoft's responsibility to put them there, but it is still an issue I only have if I were to change to Windows Phone. It is the same reason why a lot of people don't switch to GNU/Linux. The third party support is not there.

App support is a huge reason why people don't use Windows Phone and it does not really matter who is at fault because we are still left with a problem regardless.

I am fairly sure that browser is still based on IE and does not use their own layout or JavaScript engine. Like on iOS, all browsers are skins of Safari.

Maybe they have changed this policy but they did not allow it in 2014 and I have not heard anything about them changing it since then.

Please don't accuse me of not doing fact checks because I am very strict when it comes to that (unlike some others I have argued with in this thread). I don't make baseless claims.

Again. What apps you missing?

youtube

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Good. Windows phone sucks and needs to die. 

youtube

There's a $1.99 app called Metro Tube. It's better than youtube's website

No it doesn't. It has over 15 million users. It is awesome.

Compared to Android? 

No need to die. I know many users that use it and It's good, it's just not for everyone. If everything we don't like dies, we won't have any competition, and that would suck. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Compared to Android? 

IMHO it is better than Android except for the app gap and the quality of some apps.

Oh yeah, You know Android Marshmallow. They copied good stuff from windows phone.

No need to die. I know many users that use it and It's good, it's just not for everyone. If everything we don't like dies, we won't have any competition, and that would suck. 

Yeah, we do need competition.

1.99 for youtube app  :mellow:

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Alright no more Android vs Windows Phone here. Make a thread somewhere else under the mobile devices section (as much as I love the discussion on this thread).